“Great Trip down the Upper & Middle Ocoee”

Big Frog Expeditions
Ranked #3 of 9 things to do in Benton
More attraction details
Owner description: Whitewater rafting on the Ocoee River in Southeast Tennessee. Great Value and Big Fun! Half Day and Full Day whitewater rafting trips on America's Olympic River. We offer camping, whitewater rafting, guided mountain biking, guided hiking, flat water lake kayak tours and whitewater kayak instruction. Minimum age for Ocoee River rafting is 12 years old. The Ocoee River is dam controlled to ensure excellent water levels for all seasons. We operate from March through early November.
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We just finished a great trip down the river with Big Frog. We had our trip planned for 11:30, which I thought was a little late in the day but it turned out to be a great trip. We booked the upper & middle with lunch. There were fewer people on the river - we had 3 in our raft and the other raft had four (plus the guides).

We arrived early and went ahead and checked in. The staff was very friendly and even offered us coffee (and offered to make more). After a fairly quick orientation we were headed out for our 25 minute trip to the drop off. Our guide Bruce was very personable and treated us to great trip down the river. We enjoy every minute of it - even the time we all got dump into the river, except for Bruce (hmmmmm).

When we arrived at the mid-point, lunch was waiting us. It was comprised of sandwiches, potatoe salad, chips, cookies and drinks. It was decent and tasted pretty good after all the river water I had tasted. I know other tours offer a nicer lunch (boiled shrimp, etc.) but they also charge $30 more for the same trip.

I highly recommend Big Frog. And we certainly plan on using them next year for our new annual trip.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

There are plenty of reviews about the rapids and such, so here is our review of the whole experience, including camping on site. I hope you find this helpful in planning your trip! :)

We had 4 people in our party, we'd all bought a groupon for rafting. The return policy is clearly stated on their website, and it is very strict, so please be aware of that before you book to avoid any problems. We reserved 2 of their camping tents onsight in advance. We drove down from Nashville, it took about 2 hours. We checked in, everyone was really nice. They gave us 2 tents directly behind the check in office, up on a hill. They are very small, they say that each tent can hold 4 people, that seems ridiculous, but they do provide 4 twin sized mattresses inside (which takes up the whole tent... so there wouldn't be any room for your stuff). I suppose it would work for 2 adults and a child. But if it were me, and you were a family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers or something, I'd definitely rent 2 tents. We put 2 mattresses on top of each other for each of us, so our mattresses were double-decker and more comfortable... then we had room for our bags and such. The camping facility is nice. We liked how natural our area was, and noticed that there was another nice circle of tents at the top of the hill, it would be nice for a large family or group that wanted to rent like 6 tents, they could rent the whole area and have privacy. However, the tents at the bottom of the hill, near the entrance were just out on a field, they had no shade/trees. That isn't camping in my opinion. It looked like a church group had rented that area, I'd avoid that area if at all possible. Our area had a firepit and charcoal grill area to share with a total of about 5 tents. No one else wanted to use it when we did, so it wasn't a problem. There was a large covered pavillion heading down towards the bathrooms and it had electricity. We saw another family using the outlits for a coffee maker and skillet in the morning, that seemed like it was much easier than us trying to fry bacon over the charcoal grill- it took forever! ha ha. Anyways, we slept well, but 2 local dogs do come by to swipe food you've left out. They are very friendly, but still... if you want to keep your bread or crackers, keep them hidden! :) Our rafting time was 10am. We got there just in the nick of time to fill out our forms/waivers... then headed on the bus. It wasn't too long on the bus, then we got to where we put our rafts in, they gave a little lesson. You do get to choose your guide, so while on the bus- pick out who you like the best... personality wise, since he'll be joking around with you (or not) the whole afternoon! We liked our guy, he was experienced and funny... the four of us girls got to be in the same raft without anyone else which was nice. The actual rafting was fun, we did the MIDDLE Ocoee rafting trip. We stayed energized with adrenaline the whole way basically. Half way through, the rafts pull over and you can get out and walk around... really I think they did this because there became a back up of other rafting companies and ours all in the same area, so I think we all stopped for a minute to let the others go by. We brought granola bars and ate them then, we were starving. Rafting is a lot of work!
After the trip was over, we tipped our guide and headed back to our cars and the Big Frog campsite area. We showered and got freshened up and then headed to the local restaurant our guide had highly recommended. We told the hostess his name and he got "points" so that when he gets a certain amount, he eats free. :) The food was good, but the service was REALLY SLOW.
Anyways, I hope that was helpful. If you have any questions, let me know!

1  Thank MissPlanner
Reviewed May 21, 2012

My crew of 4 travelled the middle river with Joey. It was his first trip of the 2012 season. Never did we feel as if we were in danger. We had an excellent crew that followed his commands and he was able guide the raft into the class 4 rapids with ease. Only once during the trip did he yell for us to get down and in the center of the raft. They guys and gals at the outpost were very friendly and even allowed us to use some sunscreen before went out for the day. Do only recommendation I have for Big Frog is that they need to have their photos that they take of you on the trip placed online so that you can purchase them after the trip as opposed to right on the spot. The pictures are also a bit pricey at $15 a picture. We plan on coming back during the summer to complete a full river trip.

Reviewed October 11, 2011

We had a great experience with Big Frog this past weekend. We had 4 adults and 4 kids (ages 16, 15, 12 and 12). The whole process was very smooth from check in to return to the outpost. Our guides (we had 2 rafts for 8 people) were both very professional and fun at the same time. I would definitely recommend Big Frog Expeditions.

Reviewed October 9, 2011

Our rafting trips with Big Frog are always fun! We always have very knowledgable guides and we had a problem with another rafting company taking our money and not providing a service, and Big Frog helped us out with that too. I can't say enough about this Rafting Company! Try them, you won't be disappointed.