“Yum! I loved my visit!”

Bell Buckle Cafe
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 21, 2017

"I arrived in Bell Buckle, TN for Daffodil Days. The weather was wonderful and it was the perfect day to shop. We went to the Bell Buckle Cafe and ordered pork chops, green beans and potatoes. Wow! It was home cooked and fresh. The cafe was busy, but they were good about getting us seated at a table as soon as there was an available spot. You must try this place! It is a must - go -to restaurant.

Reviewed March 20, 2017

My wife saw that last Saturday was Daffodil Day in Bell Buckle. We have been to several of the festivals and such there and always had a good time. Let’s just say – it was just a day. Now we know – not recommended.

What Daffodil Day did do was give people a reason to eat at the Bell Buckle Café. We have not eaten here in YEARS! I remember it being better. Since we were there we decided to go through the antique shops and stores. It was around 1:45 so we decide to eat there, too. The wait was an hour and 20 minutes – why not? We could see the shops then come eat. To their credit it was an hour and 21 minutes.

Bonus – they sat us right beside the stage where two men were doing a live local radio show. It was acoustic of course and they had mellow voices and sang mostly ballads and old country standards – pleasant. We could still talk and I could have reached out and touched them, but I didn’t – that would have been awkward.

Now to the food – the low point of the visit. Was it bad? No. Was it delicious? Ummm…no. Dishes order between the two of us – corned beef and cabbage with potatoes and carrots, turnip greens, fried okra, chicken fried steak, white beans with ham, mashed potatoes with gravy. I’ll start with the worst offender – the turnip greens. Either they were canned or frozen – nothing like you would expect at these prices. One would expect Granny Anna to be in the kitchen at 4 am starting the slow cooking process to provide the real deal. Instead you get these unnaturally dark greens with little cubes of turnips and zero turnip green flavor. Now the frozen chicken fried steak – yeah – commissary frozen chicken fried steak. A TRUE hand breaded chicken fried steak is so obvious as is a frozen one. This one was way too uniform in appearance, the crust and the shape just too perfect instead of irregular like hand breaded. Gravy from a can I assume as well. Fried okra – frozen, but most places are and it did taste good. I really don’t think they slow cook the corned beef either – plus it had a not too pleasant glaze of sorts on it. Cabbage was good, but the serving was minute. Along with the potatoes and carrots – they may have cooked those on site.

Again – I rant – the white beans and ham. The flavor was REALLY good! Those and the mashed potatoes were the best thing we ordered, BUT!!!! The serving size is down-right criminal! Those tiny white bowls that would hold a fairly generous portion of other less liquid vegetables barely allow them to put much more than a couple of tablespoons of beans. I felt cheated, but they are not the only meat and three that commit this atrocity – it’s common practice.

I read a few reviews that rave about this place. “It’s just like my momma’s cooking!? I feel so sorry for you if this is the kind of food your momma served you growing up! I was going to give it a 2, but due to the atmosphere and the live music and the fact that the food was not exactly BAD – just so so average and not worth the price you pay…

1  Thank room121
Reviewed March 15, 2017

The food was OK. We got our dessert to go and when we opened it up later it was the smallest piece of dessert possible. For the price, the wait staff and the food could have been a little better but it is a tourist cafe so I guess it is what it is.

Reviewed March 14, 2017 via mobile

The Bell Buckle Cafe was something new for us. I grew up in the area, but never made it over here on our trips in. Decided to try...boy wasn't disappointed. The CFS sandwich was good, my wife enjoyed the Taco Salad. My daughter had a bottled RC Cola for the first time, and got hooked!

Reviewed March 14, 2017 via mobile

It's a ok place to eat.Me and my husband stopped in and got a bite. The food was ok. The service was too.

Date of visit: August 2016

Been to Bell Buckle Cafe? Share your experiences!