“Stupid management”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Drove all the way out to this place because I had purchased a $10 gift certificate through a spiff at work. Me and the girlfriend each ordered the salad bar for $4 extra on the side of our meal, just because we had the gift certificate through restaurants.com. Ate and turned in the certificate when paying the bill and the manager would not accept it. The only reason we even drove all the way out there was for the $10 certificate. This is piss poor management. Even if they didn't want to accept it, they should have. The certificate was purchased for this exact place and this place only. They signed up with restaurants.com no one forced them, then they don't accept it. Take warning, the food sucks, and its dirty. Would not make my worst enemy eat at this very poorly managed place!!

Reviewed May 25, 2014

Prior to visiting the Grainery for my grandfather's birthday dinner, I read through the reviews and because of their mixed nature we didn't really know what to expect. I have to say, we were pleasantly surprised!

Despite the restaurant being a part of a truck stop, the atmosphere is very good and wasn't at all what we were picturing we'd find. We were a large group of about 14 or so and they had plenty of room to accommodate us. Our waitress did a great job with such a large group from our initial orders all the way through dividing up the tabs perfectly.

Everyone in the group seemed to enjoy their food. At least four in the group ordered the beer battered cod, consensus was that it was tasty. Personally I ordered the pot roast dinner and was quite pleased with it. The meat was tender, good gravy and was served with great mashed potatoes. No shortage of any of those items on the plate!

Overall our experience at the Grainery was a nice surprise! Low prices, good food, great service. Would eat there again when we're back to Watertown!

1  Thank Ardenas6
Reviewed April 27, 2014

After traveling all day and checking into our hotel, we began looking through the phone book for a place to sit down and get a bite to eat. There was an ad for the Grainery in the hotel Guest Services pamphlet and a nice ad in the phonebook with the statement "Where the locals eat", so we decided to try it. Found out it was down the road from the hotel and just pass the Redlin Art Center (The reason we were in Watertown). Almost drove past it because I wasn't looking for a Truck Stop. When we walked in, we found it to be very well decorated and didn't feel or smell like a truck stop (Some I have been in you can smell the fryer grease and diesel fuel) Waitress greeted us promptly upon sitting at a booth and was very pleasant. When our drinks arrived, I got a chuckle out of my iced tea, it arrived in a quart mason jar, only other time that has happened is in the South. Our dinner arrived and instantly glad I was hungry, because the portions were big. All in all, it was a nice relaxing diner, good food, friendly waitress, comfortable surroundings and if ever in the area again, I would definitely eat here again.

1  Thank MALaehn
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We came here for supper on Monday evening, April 21, after a long drive from south-central Iowa to Watertown, due to our planned visit the next day at the Redlin Art Center. After we checked into our motel, we scoured the phone book for a "local" eatery - when we travel, we opt-out of the chain restaurants and prefer to find "where the locals go" - and my husband came across this place. The name was intriguing to me, so to the vehicle we went and plugged it into the GPS! What a welcome surprise to find that it was only a very short distance from our motel! Upon entering, I instantly liked the décor - pretty nice considering its part of a truck stop environment! Our server was quick to acknowledge our arrival and after placing our order and beverage selection, it was just nice to sit back and relax! Imagine our surprise when my husband's iced tea came...it was in a quart jar!!! Too cool!!! Our food arrived shortly thereafter and despite my best efforts, I just couldn't finish it all, being the portion size was far bigger than I realized they would be. The prices were reasonable enough, even though $2+ for a cup of coffee about floored me, the quirkiness of the quart jar made up for it. If one wants a 5-star menu, then go somewhere else but if one wants a casual, relaxing and large portion "family type" of place, I would highly recommend The Grainery.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Visited tonight in spite of mediocre reviews we read. 3 of us had the prime rib special. Delicious meal very little scrap tender meat. 1 person had a humongous burger and also really enjoyed. We will definitely return. The staff was friendly and helpful. Atmosphere very nice country decor. Give this place a try you will not be disappointed

1  Thank Fambri1