“A Truck Stop Restaurant, That Doesn't Look or Feel Like One”
Review of The Grainery

The Grainery
Ranked #40 of 73 Restaurants in Watertown
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed April 27, 2014

After traveling all day and checking into our hotel, we began looking through the phone book for a place to sit down and get a bite to eat. There was an ad for the Grainery in the hotel Guest Services pamphlet and a nice ad in the phonebook with the statement "Where the locals eat", so we decided to try it. Found out it was down the road from the hotel and just pass the Redlin Art Center (The reason we were in Watertown). Almost drove past it because I wasn't looking for a Truck Stop. When we walked in, we found it to be very well decorated and didn't feel or smell like a truck stop (Some I have been in you can smell the fryer grease and diesel fuel) Waitress greeted us promptly upon sitting at a booth and was very pleasant. When our drinks arrived, I got a chuckle out of my iced tea, it arrived in a quart mason jar, only other time that has happened is in the South. Our dinner arrived and instantly glad I was hungry, because the portions were big. All in all, it was a nice relaxing diner, good food, friendly waitress, comfortable surroundings and if ever in the area again, I would definitely eat here again.

1  Thank MALaehn

Reviewed April 24, 2014

We came here for supper on Monday evening, April 21, after a long drive from south-central Iowa to Watertown, due to our planned visit the next day at the Redlin Art Center. After we checked into our motel, we scoured the phone book for a "local" eatery - when we travel, we opt-out of the chain restaurants and prefer to find "where the locals go" - and my husband came across this place. The name was intriguing to me, so to the vehicle we went and plugged it into the GPS! What a welcome surprise to find that it was only a very short distance from our motel! Upon entering, I instantly liked the décor - pretty nice considering its part of a truck stop environment! Our server was quick to acknowledge our arrival and after placing our order and beverage selection, it was just nice to sit back and relax! Imagine our surprise when my husband's iced tea came...it was in a quart jar!!! Too cool!!! Our food arrived shortly thereafter and despite my best efforts, I just couldn't finish it all, being the portion size was far bigger than I realized they would be. The prices were reasonable enough, even though $2+ for a cup of coffee about floored me, the quirkiness of the quart jar made up for it. If one wants a 5-star menu, then go somewhere else but if one wants a casual, relaxing and large portion "family type" of place, I would highly recommend The Grainery.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Visited tonight in spite of mediocre reviews we read. 3 of us had the prime rib special. Delicious meal very little scrap tender meat. 1 person had a humongous burger and also really enjoyed. We will definitely return. The staff was friendly and helpful. Atmosphere very nice country decor. Give this place a try you will not be disappointed

1  Thank Fambri1
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I have eaten at The Grainery many times. Most of the time the service is great. The food is also usually good. When I ate there tonight my coffee cup had lipstick on it "I don't wear lipstick". This is the second time that this has happened to me at The Grainery. I also have gotten dirty drinking glasses here before. On two different occasions I have heard bad language from the staff. One time the cook came out of the Kitchen using the "F" word in ear shot of my Grandchildren and another time the waitresses were talking about their work troubles in an inappropriate way. So good food and good service but dirty dishes and language. Don't think I will be going there anymore.

1  Thank lalalea68
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We stayed in Watertown at a hotel. We skipped the usual hotel breakfast because we wanted something better. Mistake! We are tea drinkers. We like our black tea in the morning. The waitress brought green tea. Things didn't go well after we refused the green tea. She claimed they didn't have any -they just ran out yesterday and the truck was due any moment. That does not help me. She could have gone to the convenience store next door and borrowed a couple Lipton bags till the truck came in. The waitress made us wait for our food. We went to McDonald's and got two large hot teas for $2.14. We will never go to the Grainery again! Food fair- service terrible!

Been to The Grainery? Share your experiences!