“Mediocre Rooms with Nice Facilities”

Ramkota Hotel & Watertown Event Center
Ramkota Hotel & Watertown Event Center
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Watertown
Reviewed March 3, 2012

The Good: Solid Restaurant + Nice Meeting Rooms attached, nice pool and workout rooms.
The Bad: The decor in the rooms is outdated, the internet is spotty and the fixtures in the rooms are very cheap.

I have stayed at the Ramkota about 12 times over the course of 3 years. The staff are good, the facilites are very good but the rooms are barely average.

The overall facility is nice and roomy with atriums, color and live plants. The enclosed nature of the place with a good restaurant in the complex is very helpful since it gets darn cold in SD. The staff is good but not energetic on the whole. The pool and workout area are all that you could ask for in a mid-range hotel. The meeting rooms are excellent for the price and the area. Everything I have mentioned so far is better than what you would expect from the price point and area.

The problems are the actual guest rooms. In short they all needed to be remodeled a few years ago. The are a little shabby and threadbare. Internet service is hit and miss depending on the room. This last point is especially important since cell service is iffy in Watertown. All this said I only once have I had to ask for a new room.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
42039wtn, General Manager at Ramkota Hotel & Watertown Event Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2012

We want to thank you for submitting a review for our property after your recent stay. We truly appreciate hearing directly from our guests.

I wanted to address your comments about the guestrooms and the improvements we have made and those that are still coming - we have replaced all of the beds in the hotel to the new high profile, pillow top beds with new pillows, blankets, coverlets and throws and will soon be triple-sheeting the beds. We have replaced all of the seating in the rooms other than the sofa-beds in our kings, refinished our guest bathrooms with lovely granite vanities and lighting and the flat panel TV's will be arriving soon.

Our company believes in reinvesting in our hotel so that your experience is comfortable and relaxing. Some of the improvements are not glamorous such as the window replacement we are doing now, but it is still vital for the hotel. We also are upgrading the wifi system and adding a few more hubs for better signal strength.

Again, thank you for your comments, we continually strive to be better. We thank you for your business and hope you will continue to visit when you are in Watertown.

Deb Stanley, General Manager
BEST WESTERN Ramkota Hotel - Watertown

Reviewed April 23, 2010

Our organization filled the entire property in April. We were totally pleased with the facility. Their friendly staff went the extra mile to make our stay very enjoyable!! Don't hesitate to stay here!! Beds are very comfortable. Slept best we ever have in a hotel. Quiet at night with a great restaurant and event center attached. We experienced NONE of the negatives described in the other reviews.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Traveled twice to this hotel for a local conference with a colleague. This hotel was surprisingly nice and clean. There is a bar and restaurant attached to the hotel, as well as a conference center. The hotel is located near "town", with restaurants and shopping centers nearby. At the same time, it is only steps away from rural SD, with many pheasant hunters staying at the hotel as well. Dogs were allowed, and it was nice to see so many hunting dogs in a hotel! I would recomment this place to both casual visitors of the area, as well as hunters. The Terry Redlin art museum is also in the area, which sells his beautiful paintings and other Terry Redlin merchandise.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2009

I grew up in Watertown and regularly travel back to visit my Mother. I haven't stayed at the Ramkota in at least three years, with good reason. It USED to be a nice place but has fallen into disrepair and sloppy service. When my Mom was in the hospital a few years ago I spent close to a thousand dollars on a several night stay. On the next to last day, I left a few bags of trash on the floor next to the garbage can with a nice note that said, "Trash, please take. Thanks." I'm talking three of those little plastic bags you get with your groceries, nothing major or objectionable. The person who cleaned my room did not take them. When I brought this to the attention of the front desk, It took an hour for someome to come down and get the trash and they were not nice about having to do it.
That is just one example of the things that went wrong during my stay.

My husband and I now stay at one of two hotels in Watertown, The Holiday Inn Express on east 212 or The Traveler's Inn on 9th Ave SE. Both provide clean rooms and great staff. Hope this helps the next traveler avoid a costly mistake.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed September 25, 2009

The room smelled horrible on arrival. Went to my meeting and returned late. The next morning discovered someone must have thrown up on the other side of the bed. The box spring had a big stain that was covered by the bedspread and the floor had a big wet spot. That explained the smell. Complained at front desk and since there were no other rooms avalible they said they would get it cleaned up. I suggested replacing the box spring. When I returned to the room the stain appeared to be cleaned up but the smell was still there. There was a note from the manager apologizing for the inconveinence and a little gift bag. She said they applied a discount for that night's stay. When I checked out there was only a $20 credit on my bill. Obviously she did not see or smell the mess. This was the nastiest, grossest thing I have ever encountered in traveling. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
We were there for a convention and overall the food and convention center were pretty good. One noon lunch we had that was buffet seemed to be very unorganized. We got there at noon and some of us didn't get our food until one. The evening meal was very good and the service was excellent.
I also used the fitness center and that was very nice.
The bar staff were very friendly and efficient.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2009

My work brings me to this hotel every year - 3 times a year. The major consistant problem is always: the non-working bathroom, slacker front desk people, very poor maid service. The shower head, plunger and drain have not been replaced, serviced or in working order since mid- 1980's as I stay in the same rooms every year. The floresent overhead light is horrible in the vanity area. The table and Chairs for working on are way too large for the space between the heater and the bed. New beddings good and mattresses are rock hard.

The maid service this April was terrible. A 4-yr old could have made up the bed better and they couldn't even clean out the coffee pot. I mentioned the non-drainable tub and non-working shower head to the maid and nothing was repair. For the value of the dollar it was terrible. Next time I will stay at a hotel 4 miles away and drive back and forth for 4 days.

Upnote! The wait staff in the bar and cafe are Excellent! They should give a few lessons to the front desk 3pm - 11pm folks! The food is excellent as well.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 25, 2008

My stay was marked with none of the issues noted in reviews dated prior to my stay, other than the lack of an elevator, which I didn't care about anyway. In some areas of the hotel, the hallways can be really warm and uncomfortable when the weather is hot. I'm not sure why that is, and since I was only in those areas long enough to get to my room, it really wasn't a big deal. The cable selection is indeed rather poor, but I wasn't sure if that is because it's all the local cable provider has to offer, or because the hotel is saving money on their package. Since watching television wasn't my main reason to be there, this was certainly not a plus, but it's not the end of the world, either. My room was clean, and everything worked fine. Front desk service can be spotty. At one point, I needed something from the front desk and found a sign saying that they would be back in a while. Not 5 minutes or anything specific, just a while. Or soon. or something like that. I waited "a while" and I finally ran out of time and gave up and left rather angry. Front desk people are often reading a book or something when you walk up, which you do not see in better hotels, but they do seem to put the thing down and address your needs promptly. The reason I gave this hotel an Above Average instead of Neutral is simply that Minerva's Restaurant -as noted by other reviewers- had very good food and service, and that set the Ramkota Watertown a bit ahead of some of its local peers.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SnaphappyFishsuit
42039wtn, General Manager at Ramkota Hotel & Watertown Event Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2008

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Best Western Ramkota Hotel in Watertown. We do appreciate hearing directly from our guests and take the comments to heart. We continually strive to insure that each guest experience is enjoyable.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the restaurant. Minervas has a great reputation regionally as well as locally and we are very fortunate.

I wanted to address the issues you cited, our indoor atrium area and hallways outside the guestrooms was extremely warm when our rooftop ac unit was struck by lightning. This has been corrected and these hallways are much more comfortable. The atrium is one of the more popular areas of the hotel because of the live plants and comfortable seating areas.

You also mentioned the cable selections, we have the Lodgenet movie system in place which limits the number of cable channels that are available to us. We are currently exploring options that would give us more selections of both cable channels and movie variety.

Again, I would like to thank you for your comments and invite you to call me directly at (605)886-8011 if I can be of further assistance or if you are back visiting in our area. Enjoy the remainder of your summer!

Best regards,