“Good breakfast experience”

Holiday Inn Express Watertown
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Watertown
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Stayed here to break up a long drive on a Sunday evening. Initial impression was very good as they had the front row parking spots reserved for IHG Rewards Club Members and everything was clean in the common areas. Check-in was fine although they are one of the few I've stayed at that did not offer bonus points or snacks for being a Platinum Member.

The room was nice. We were disappointed to not have a fridge. We were in room 100 on the very end of the hall and could tell starting next to us the rooms were longer and we noticed as they were being cleaned that they did have a fridge. Bed was comfortable and it was pretty quiet at the end of the hall.

The wifi did not extend much beyond the lobby and breakfast area. Never once had a signal in our room which was disappointing. The signal was fine in the breakfast area.

My girls enjoyed different parts of the pool. For just a hotel, it was a nice variety with a nice sized waterslide (check the hours, not always open), kiddie pool with very warm water, small regular pool (a little chilly) and a hot tub. It wasn't too crowded on a Sunday night. The lifeguard wasn't doing much at first and kids were going down 3 or 4 at a time. A parent went over and talked to him so he went to the top of the slide to monitor the line and it was much better after that.

The breakfast was good as it typically is at a Holiday Inn Express. The woman in charge of the breakfast was good at keeping things stocked and was very friendly coming to the tables to see how we were liking the food. A nice touch.

All in all this was a nice one-night stay. My one suggestion would be to get a stronger wifi signal that can reach all points in the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Bed was comfortable, front desk staff was friendly even though I ended up having to check out 2 days early. Room was quiet. I did not realize there was also an indoor water park in the hotel.

Shower water pressure was great and the drains work. Very important.

What I did NOT like was the "high speed internet" was slow. 2Mbps/2Mbps. For a town of 20,000 people I would expect better internet service. This was a pain doing work in the hotel room, and I could barely stream a youtube video without it buffering.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We purposely booked this hotel to be able to use the pool after a long day of driving, mistake. It was busy when we first got there but that soon cleared out and we thought we were good to go. Until we tried to actually get in the water - it was freezing. I made it in, but didn't last five minutes and the kiddo never made it off the steps. We hung out in the hot tub for a bit and cashed it in.

Our front desk clerk was awesome. Of course she had to be as we couldn't even use the hotel phones to call for pizza as they were apparently not working. We tried several times from the room, then finally headed up to the desk thinking we must be missing some step. When I still couldn't get the desk phone to work, the staff tried. Same problem. But she was great at her job and used her cel to place the call for us.

Rooms were decent and clean, beds were good and breakfast was the usual. Would we stay again? Even though there was nothing really wrong, probably not. There seemed to be some other newer hotels close by that we would try out next time we stay in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Wow, where to begin. We stayed here one night on a long road trip. This was actually our second time staying here. We stayed one night last year and loved it. Our room was wonderful, and our 2 little kids had a blast in the kiddie pool.

Fast forward a year. This visit was an all together different experience. We purposely planned our trip so that our kids could enjoy the pool after a day of 500 miles in the car. When we arrived, on a Saturday night, there was at least one and maybe more large pool parties going on. The pool area was absolutely packed. Our kids were able to play in the splash pool, but there's no way we could have got in the regular pool. It was packed. One adult and a bunch of kids playing with a beach ball. You could have actually walked across the pool on the people it was so full. I thought it might clear out later in the evening, but it was still that way at 9:30 pm. So DO NOT stay here on a Saturday night if you want to use the pool.

At check in, after signing the usual check in form, I was presented with another form of hotel "rules" requiring my signature, including no kids running in the hallways, etc. I have never been presented with such a form at any other hotel anywhere. A result of the pool party crowd I suspect? At any rate it didn't strike me as too welcoming given that I had 2 young children in tow.

Our room was clean and the beds comfortable, but that's the only good thing I have to say about it. We had a room with two queen beds and it was tiny. The smallest hotel room I've encountered in a long time. There was no chair other than a desk chair, no refrigerator, no microwave (I thought a fridge and microwave were pretty standard at this price point), and the bathroom was so small there wasn't even any counter space to sit anything. Our room was hot. With that AC running full blast it did not cool the room down until morning. There was no hot water in the morning for showers. Lukewarm was the best we could get. And to top things off- the curtain on the window was just a little too small to cover the whole window. When we checked out, the lady at the desk was nice and did take $30 off our room for the AC and hot water issues, which was appreciated. But still, $125 for the pleasure of a chilly shower??

And then there was breakfast. Absolute chaos. There are only a handful of tables, and it was so busy. Had to wait for awhile before we could snag a table so the kids could sit and eat. Couldn't take it to our room because there was no where for them to sit and eat there either. They really need to add more tables for breakfast.

Overall I was very disappointed in our stay. My kids did love the splash pool, but I would think twice before staying here again on the weekend.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Watertown, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Dear 2crazyboysmom,

Thank you for staying with us again on your recent road trip. We are delighted to read you liked the cleanliness of your room and your kids enjoyed our Splash pool. We apologize you were not satisfied with the size of the room you had and your in-room Air Conditioner system was a let down. We are very sorry our breakfast area did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is highly appreciated as this gives us the opportunity to improve on our guest satisfaction. We will address these points and hope when you return, you will see the improvements made.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stay here sometimes for birthday parties for our kids. They let you use the breakfast room at a first come basis. The place is always very busy. They have a nice waterpark for the kids and a great breakfast in the morning

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tfi22
Reviewed May 25, 2014

The front desk staff are friendly and very helpful upon arrival. They provided extra key cards for the rooms. We were also able to check in early. The housekeeping and kitchen crew provided great service. The breakfast area is stocked with a variety of meal choices for guests. If there is anything needed, a kitchen staff person will bring it out upon request. The inn is located just off of interstate 29 and also a short walk away from a family restaurant, which was very convenient. It was truly a relaxing weekend stay at the inn.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

I was on my way home in freezing rain and a blizzard when I decided to finally stop. I had no credit card and no cash so I had to have a credit card done over the phone. Steph was great in helping me and getting everything. She got me in my room with no hitch. She was even checking in a large group who was stranded as well. The room was very clean and the breakfast was great the next morning.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business