“Fun for the kids”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Watertown
watertown, sd
“Fun for the kids”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We rented this room to take the grand kids to their indoor waterpark. The kids age 9 & 10 had fun on the large slide. The pool isn't very large but the kids still enjoyed it. There is a nice swim area for kids 8 & under, with a slide and waterfalls. The room was nice and clean. Breakfast was well supplied with the usual offerings. Quick check in. 4 wristbands for the pool area were supplied. You don't need one if you aren't going to swim, but can still enter the area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank katmint

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Oklahoma
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We were in Watertown for a family funeral. The staff at the Holiday Inn Express were amazing. Very genuine, accomodating, friendly. The rooms were clean and had everything we needed. Thank You for helping to make a stressful situation much less stressful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Mitchell, South Dakota
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We requested our 2 rooms to beside each other since my parents joined us on this trip. When we got there the front desk lady said she put someone inbetween our rooms. With having a 13 month old that goes to bed by 8pm, I wanted our rooms next to each other so I could take the video baby monitor next door to visit with my parents and still watch and listen the monitor. She said we could go up to the second floor and be next to each other and still have a king room and a dble queen room that we reserved. When we opened the door to our non smoking room, the smoke smell rolled out of that room. While checking in I had to initial where it stated that i will be charged a $300 fee i we smoke in our nonsmoking room, that person that stayed in there before us better of paid for it because it was a miserable night for us. My husband is allergic to smoke and my 13 month old and 3 year old have never been around smoke so I didn't know how they would all react. My husband said to get our swim suits on right away and go down to the pool so he can let the front desk know how bad our room smells and that they need to purify the room while we swim. When we got back to our room you could tell they purified the room but when we left to eat supper and came back the room smelt so bad like smoke again so we went swimming again to get out of our room. That night when we all fell asleep, my youngest daughter woke up coughing for 4 hours straight and my husband couldnt breathe well all night. Messing with someone's health is a HUGE no-no, especially something that can kill you, second hand smoke. If it was just me and my husband then fine but when it is my childrens health that is being effected then we have problems. I work very hard to keep my children safe. We asked about switching rooms but there weren't any close ones around my parents room. Now I just have to wait and see what the next step is.

• Stayed September 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Watertown, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear angardem,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept our sincerest apology for the over-all issues you had during your stay. It is regrettable that we fell below your expectations. We have sent you a private message to obtain some additional information. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Watertown hotels

Minnesota
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Just stayed one night at this hotel to visit my husband who is working in the Watertown area for a few weeks and had a fantastic time! My older daughters (8&7) loved the waterslide and pool and the area for the younger kids was perfect for my 3 year old. My husband and I were able to relax in the pool area for hours while the kids played. The pool area was also very clean and well taken care of.

The rooms were nice and clean with new carpet, bedding and TVs. Everything in our room was spotless. No fridge or microwave in our room (2 queen) but we didn't end up really needing it so that wasn't a big deal.

The breakfast area is very nice and they had one of the best selections for continental breakfast that we have had in awhile. The pancake machine was a huge hit with the kids!

Overall a very nice, clean hotel and if your kids are younger and love the water like mine, probably the best choice in hotels for the Watertown area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stopped here as a half-way point on a trip specifically for the indoor waterpark. My toddler twins are too short for the big waterslide but the kiddie section was perfect for them. And the water was heated which was a plus for Mom and Dad. The only complaint was that I noticed the teenage lifeguard seemed more interested in her iPhone than watching kids on the waterslide.

The hotel was full, but we did not hear noise from above or out in the hall all night, room was spacious, beds were great, bathroom was clean, and the continental breakfast was excellent. I would definitely stay again.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I was expecting too much...we had called ahead to find out if they had a waterslide and yes they did. Well we would only get there a little before ten - would it still pay. She said the pool was open till 11:00. We get there around ten and get ready for the slide only to find it shut off at 10:00 and so we asked about it and she said it would only go back on at 5:00 pm the next day. So we were hooped. This was the only reason we came here. It is a hotel that has been rebranded to a Holiday Inn Express. I am surprised that it qualified. It is has a vinyl siding look and is short on floor and wall insulation (can hear traffic above you and in the hallways), typical of the cheaper hotels. The hostess apologized for the waterslide not going for us but didn't do anything about it. The shower in the morning was cut short because the water was only lukewarm. If your at all fussy about pillows, bring your own if you are staying here, ours were lumpy and worn out. Breakfast was good - biscuits and gravy was something over and beyond what we were used to from other places. General impression of this place would be to make as much profit as possible without much regard for customers. Amenities page in the binder stated "refrigerators in the rooms" which was not in the room we had. You will be happy with this place if you don't expect much.

1 Thank StakeLover
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Watertown, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear StakeLover,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. I am glad that the breakfast served during your stay lived up to your expectations. I would also like to apologize for any inconvenience the pool closure caused you and your family. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Midwest
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Watertown, South Dakota Holiday Inn Express! We found the hotel to be very clean and well appointed and considering the number of guests it was very quiet! Furniture was dated but clean and in good shape.