“Gem in the plains”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Grapevine, Texas
“Gem in the plains”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I went to Charley's for "date night", a special 3 course dinner for two, offered on Tuesday nights. The food was fantastic, the price very reasonable, and the atmosphere unique (Charley's is in an old opera house, filled with history). We are from the Dallas area, where restaurants abound; I have yet to find a place as charming as Charley's.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Carrie4444

“Excellent food and service!”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

I loved the very relaxed feeling you get in a restaurant when the service is not rushed, the music is quite low and the people are very friendly. This restaurant is a very nice, polite restaurant if you will. I will definitely return! I have been here solo and as a group with my friends. I enjoyed the food and service both times!

Visited March 2014
Watertown, South Dakota
“Three times and your out!”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My group of friends and I have lunch once a month at various restaurants in Watertown. We gave the Goss three chances to prove their place was a good place to go for lunch. The first time I went to lunch there with my two dietitian friends. Two of us ordered the cranberry turkey sandwich. Neither one of us could eat it. When we commented to the server on it, nothing was offered except to tell us it was made with cranberry horseradish sauce! That was not listed in the description.
The second time, service was slow and soup was cold.
The last time that my group of 8 friends ate there it was a disaster. We all ordered a special salad with our sandwiches instead of the soup or fries. When our meals arrived, fries were on our plates. The server said they didn't have the salad we wanted, but she never bothered to inform us that we needed to change our order. While we were waiting for our food and during the meal, a loud alarm went off at least 6 different times. It was disturbing. We commented about the noise and were offered a mini muffin for our troubles. We have not gone back.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank MyBeth2014
Watertown, South Dakota
“You win or you lose”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

The layout of the place was okay. It was an older building but still classy. They had some art and the lighting was pretty good. We went at 5:35pm and were seated instantly. We recieved our drinks fairly quick. We placed our order and it took almost an hour and thirty minutes because the waiter forgot our order. We did order a appetizer which was squid. The squid was frozen, which was no surprise for SD, and the breading was like a corn meal and tasted grainy. The sauce was great though. After the floor manager apologized for the mistake she took $5 off my drink and then 30% of our bill, but only $9.90 was taken off our bill, which was a big bill. When we did recieve our food, my wife had the smothered chicken. The rice was boiled too long and the chicken was tough, also the vegetables looked and tasted like they came out of a bag and frozen. I had jambalaya penne, it was very good. My wife ended up eating some of my food. It had great flavor and seasoned almost perfect, it could have been seasoned a tiny bit less. One thing I could say about my meal was that it came with shrimp and I couldnt find any, then realized it was the really tiny canned shrimp. It was not a great experience for our first time there. I did look around and everyone else was being served on time and it looked like everyone else enjoyed their meals.

• Visited February 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Poor everything”
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

We have been here when it's been great, however our last visit was the worst. The waitress must have been in training witout anyone to train her. She had no idea what was available for wines or beer. We ordered 4 menu items before hitting on something they weren't out of. Very annoying at best. We have had better service at Perkins! Definitely won't ever go back (if they are still open).

Been to Charley's? Share your experiences!