“Right by the Badlands!”

Best Western Plains Motel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Wall
Reviewed July 19, 2007

We found this hotel very nice. It was just a couple of minutes away from the Badlands, in walking distance of some decent food choices and very comfortable. I loved the fact that the sink was set apart from the toilet/tub and the entire bathroom set was placed behind a wall. Very useful when traveling with a group. My younger siblings loved the heated pool and gym. The entire place was very clean and the management friendly.

The internet was decent but I wouldn't call it high speed. The free breakfast was very nice but was way too crowded.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank kimeradae
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plains Motel

Reviewed July 17, 2007

I can tell you first off, that Pat (who I think owns this dump) and Debbie (her incompetent assistant) are rude liars.

My wife and I were traveling cross country covering about 8,000 miles in our car for 3 weeks. We stopped atmany, many motels/hotels along the way; from Knight's Inns to the Bellagio. We met nothing but honest and wonderful people everywhere we went, except here at the Best Western Plains motel in Wall, SD.

We called, on speakerphone in our car, about 7 hours before our arrival. My wife asked if there was a standard room available with a king bed, non-smoking on the first floor. Debbie said that she did have availability. She then asked my wife for a credit card to confirm the reservation and told us that we were inside the cancellation window and would not be able to cancel. We said that was fine and hung up.

When we arrived at the Best Western, we pulled up and went into reception. Pat was at the desk and asked for our name. We told her and we asked to make sure that we had a king, non-smoking, first floor. She said that they didn't have any. I have a bad back and we had lots of luggage. I made it clear to her that when we had requested it earlier, they had said that they had one reserved for us. Pat said that Debbie couldn't have told us that there was availability because there wasn't any. She basically called my wife a liar to her face. I confirmed that the conversation was on speakerphone and I was listening to it. Pat snapped at me, claiming that was impossible.

Pat then said that we had 10 minutes to decide whether or not we wanted the room. Keep in mind, this was at about 3 PM in the afternoon. So, it wasn't like there was going to be a rush of people coming in, and on top of it, WE HAD A RESERVATION! We said we would take any other room that they had on the first floor. She said the only other room they had had three beds. We said that'd be fine, but she said we couldn't have it for the same rate. We reminded her that it was her mistake, but she denied that.

I mentioned that we may want to go across the street to the Econo Lodge (awesome property!!) to see if there was any availability there. She said that if I wasn't back in 5 minutes, that she'd charge my credit card the full amount. I didn't say anything and walked out.

After confirming availabilty across the street, I walked back to the Best Western. Without saying anything, as I walked in, she handed me a cancellation slip.

This is not the way Best Westerns are run around this country. If anyone has any questions for me, please don't hesitate to ask.

• Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank rweintra
Reviewed July 30, 2006

We stayed at the Best Western on a family road trip from NY to MT.
We choose this hotel because it was close to the Badlands. The location was perfect. A few miles down the road to the Badlands was very convenient - since we arrived late in the afternoon and it was nice to complete our sightseeing tour as planned.
It was also close to downtown Wall - a nice walk in the evening.
The room was fine. No problems. Very clean and we parked close.
The fitness room was also clean with good equipment.
The pool very VERY VERY clean - a little too clean. The chlorine was so high I did not swim very long in the inside pool - but I did appreciate all the attention the staff gave to the area to keep it up.
I did not use the outside pool - but it sparkled.
The staff was friendly. I think they made more of an effort to keep everyone happy than other places I have visited.
The breakfast in the moring was fine.
I would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 5, 2006

We stayed 2 nites at the Best Western Plains in Wall, SD, during Memorial Week (end of May). The room was very large, sink area was okay, toilet and shower kind of tight. Everything worked fine. A tip is to stay on the second floor. You could hear EVERY step above your head, both in the room overhead as well as the walkway. Made for a tough nite sleep. The breakfast is fair, breads, cereal etc, typical for a freebie. The hotel is an easy walk to the main drag. Wall Drug is touristy but fun, be sure to check out all the Native American photos in the "backyard" building. We ate dinners at Red Rock (good food but understaffed on the busy nite we were there) and Cactus- reasonable price buffet with carved roast beef. Wall is 5 minutes from one of the Badland enterances, which is a great place to visit.

1  Thank JulieDChicago_IL
Reviewed March 17, 2006

Upon our recent trip through South Dakota we stayed at the Best western in Wall. Reasonably priced room, clean, comfortable, the continental breakfast was decent enough, and the staff was friendly. A nice hotel.

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank drw2112
A TripAdvisor Member
Arizona
Reviewed July 16, 2005

We supposedly got a discounted rate, but was still high at $145 for what we received.
The room wasn't the cleanest and it needs renovation badly. The door didn't close properly. The bottom and top sheets are tucked in together and they do not use bottom fitting sheets, they just put 2 sheets on and tuck them in together what a mess. We got the "Family suite" which was 2 bedrooms with a bathroom and vanity area in between. I would have liked a microwave and small refrig that come standard in a lot of other places, for the price we paid I assumed they would be provided here also but no such luck!. Breakfast was a joke, if you could elbow your way into the tiny cubicle they call a breakfast area for the slice of toast, 2 kinds of cold cereal and juice you must be really hungry! I will not stay here again, not recommended!

• Stayed: June 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Indiana
Reviewed August 22, 2003

I wouldn't recommend this hotel for a few reasons... The carpet was extremely dirty. The toilet was a little broken; it kept running and making noise. The bathroom was extremely small...just the toilet and bathtub in a very small space. (The sink was in a different room.) The bathroom door didn't close right. They have the old fashioned kind of air conditioners.

Unfortunately, if you must stay in Wall, South Dakota, you don't have much of a selection of motels. Most of them are old. If it is possible, I would recommend staying an hour away in Rapid City. There are much nicer hotels there.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wall
America's Best Value Inn
Badlands Interior Motel and Campground
Super 8 Wall
Super 8 Wall
#4 of 11 in Wall

Been to Best Western Plains Motel? Share your experiences!