“Bed Bugs - Please Read Full Review”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Ann's Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wall
Ann's Motel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Wall
Chicago, Illinois
“Bed Bugs - Please Read Full Review”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is a hard review to write, as the owner of this motel is a very sweet woman who seems to be running a good business. However, there really isn't any way around this. We got bed bugs while staying in one of the cabins behind the main building. When we checked in, everything seemed fine. The property looked clean and is within walking distance of Wall Drug and everything else on the main drag. The cabin we were given was very clean and had a very nice flat screen television. There were, however, two things that should have tipped us off. First of all, the mattress was encased in plastic. I've stayed in all kinds of hotels and very rarely does anyone do this. It makes guests complain. The other thing that should have tipped us off was the smell. The room did not stink, mind you, but it did have a strange, musty/woodsy smell to it. In any case, we put our things in the room and left for a couple of hours to go have dinner. When we got back, I laid down on the bed and watched TV while my husband sat at the table to work on his computer. After about an hour, I saw a little brown bug run across the bed in front of me. We caught the bug and confirmed on the internet that it was definitely a bed bug. We started looking around the bed and found another one crawling on the comforter and then another when we pulled back the sheets. I immediately started calling other hotels for another place to stay. My husband called the owner and informed her of the situation. She said she would refund our money. When we got to the new hotel, we informed the people at the front desk of what had happened. They seemed shocked and said that Ann's was the cleanest place in town. The next 16 hours were spent painstakingly going through every single piece of luggage we brought with us (we were traveling long term, so we had a lot of stuff), searching for bed bugs. We found at least 15 bugs crawling on our luggage. Interestingly enough, none of these items were sitting on the bed at Ann's. They were all sitting on the floor in various parts of the room. My suitcase was even sitting on the luggage rack. This leads me to believe that the infestation was pretty bad in that cabin. We spent the next day at the laundry mat, running everything we possibly could through the dryer on high heat. Needless to say, more than a few things were ruined during this process. We took everything out of our car and inspected it again, inside and out. I took the car to the car wash and vacuumed until I was sweaty and out of quarters. We were absolutely terrified of bringing these things home with us. After we were done, we returned to Ann's. Ann gave us a refund for the previous night as well as some additional cash for the items that were destroyed. She informed us that an exterminator had been in the cabin twice to take care of the bugs. Apparently, he sprayed and set off a bug bomb, and then told her the cabin was clean. From what I've since learned about bed bugs, you are under no circumstances to set off a bug bomb as they are not effective against bed bugs. All the bombs do is make them run and hide and can even help spread them to other rooms. Anyway, in my opinion, Ann is a nice lady who is doing her best to run a good business but was clearly given some bad information and needs to do more research. She assured us she would not rent out the cabin (#29) anymore and was extremely apologetic. So, yes, we did run into bed bugs, and yes, we spent the remaining week of our trip and our first week at home going to extreme measures to make sure they were gone. However, she was apologetic, refunded us for the night, reimbursed us for our damages, and was sincerely sorry. Therefore, I didn't feel right about giving her a terrible or even a poor rating. Also, please remember this happened in one of the cabins that is not attached to anything else. We were not in the main hotel. My intention here is not to destroy Ann's business; however, considering how serious of an issue bed bugs have become in recent years, I felt I had to report my experience.

Room Tip: We were in cabin #29, behind the main hotel.
Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank BuggedinWall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

I like my Holiday Inn Expresses and nicer chain hotels. That being said, Ann's Motel exceeded my expectations. It's a small town. The rooms feel a bit dated BUT that is what I would expect here. What I didn't expect was for it to feel clean! I even felt like the top covers had been washed. We stayed during Sturgis week and they still didn't charge over $100- when the other places were charging closer to $300. My husband and I were very happy here, our 4 and 6 year olds were happy Wall Drug was right across the street. I would recommend Ann's to anyone who gets nervous about clean rooms especially with kids. It wasn't the Hilton but it was just fine. No hairs, no stains, nothing funky going on.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank AdeTae
Kamiah, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

Ann's motel is the best place to stay in Wall, SD. Ann and her family are great to talk with. The rates at the end of April/early May are $55/night plus tax, and that was for a double room! The room is clean, very cozy, and beds are comfortable. Tv and wifi. Perfect location. With in walking distance to downtown Wall, so close you can see it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank ParksNRecGuy
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

Stayed at Ann's Motel with my family of four for two nights in early June as we enjoyed a couple days at Badlands National Park. We were able to get a clean room, two queen beds, cable TV, a mini fridge, and A/C for $75/night. There isn't anything fancy about Ann's. It is a no-frills locally owned hotel that gives you what you really need--a clean place to stay. We didn't spend much time in our room, but it was fine for our family of four the time that were there. One nice thing for us was the ability to fill up our cooler with ice right at the hotel out of the ice machine. There is also a soda machine and a vending machine with some snacks in it at the motel. There is no swimming pool at Ann's, but after a day or two of hiking and climbing at the Badlands, you won't miss having a swimming pool. All in all, I'd go back to Ann's again if I'm ever out in this area again.

Room Tip: Room right behind the office has two queen beds, it was quiet, and there is nothing above you, so yo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank clark50
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

Friendly and wonderful service. Located one block from all of the shopping in Wall, SD.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank 4forme2
Forest Lake, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

I am in the area 4-5 times a year and Ann's is the only place I consider if I need accomodations. I've even gotten a room without advance notice on the eve of a major holiday, try that at one of the chains! Not fancy but clean and quiet, what more could you ask for?

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank vtxdriver
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

I make several trips a year to Wall, and Ann's Motel is the only place I stay!!! I've tried several other motels in Wall (many years ago) and they don't begin to compare with what Ann's offers -clean rooms, excellent service, personable family-owned and run business. I highly recommend Ann's Motel to anyone traveling to the Badlands!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank 755JOnsey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wall
Best Western Plains Motel
#8 of 11 in Wall
Days Inn Wall
Days Inn Wall
#11 of 11 in Wall

Been to Ann's Motel? Share your experiences!