“Disappointing.”
Review of Sunshine Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wall
Sunshine Inn
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Wall
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Okay, so you are in Wall, SD, and you shouldn't expect four star lodging. So you have to go in with your standards and expectations limited. But you should still expect cool water from the cold part of the sink tap. Even with my lowered expectations, the Sunshine Inn still disappointed.
I had two adjoining rooms and in both rooms the sink did not dispense cool water. The 'hot' was very hot; the 'cold' was very warm no matter how long we ran it to let it adjust. And not that a television is particularly important on vacation, but the sound didn't work and the reception was good on only two channels in my room (but more in the other).
Worst of all, the front desk worker was really unfriendly. It's really strange to be checking into a hotel and feel like you are not wanted there - like you are imposing upon the worker by checking in. (I note that this was a strange contrast to the woman who took my reservation a couple of months in advance and was very friendly and welcoming.)
One nice touch was a brief presentation in the hotel parking lot by a trio of Native Americans. I don't know if the hotel arranged it, or merely permitted it. But it was a nice touch.
I should say this too; there didn't really look like there were that many good alternatives in Wall, so the Sunshine Inn might still be one of your better options if you choose to stay in Wall.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
friendlysdinnkeeper, Owner at Sunshine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Sunshine Inn and giving me a chance to respond to the issues you raised here. Your negative summation of course stands out in sharp contrast to the literally hundreds of good to excellent reviews that we receive here on TripAdvisor, along with all the other user-review sites. I regret that so much of your negative reaction was created by the water issue because the warm water situation is a geological phenomenon that we can't control. It simply comes up hot from the town's wells, which is why we make it a point here at the Sunshine Inn to provide all the free ice that customers need, including plenty of ice for their
coolers in addition to what they would like for their rooms. As to the television set, I also regret that mechanical and electrical fixtures sometimes break down but don't have a customer complaint or comment on file regarding it during the night of your stay. Our sets are easily replaced within minutes of a breakdown, so there shouldn't have been a problem. My desk staff, me included, is frequently mentioned favorably for their demeanor, politeness and professionalism, as a scan of the reviews on this site will easily reveal. That you found one of us to be "really unfriendly" is so out of character that it stands out to me as an "exception that proves the rule." I'd have to ask readers of your review to compare it to the many good to excellent reviews we've received over the years before drawing much of a conclusion from your
comments. Thank you again for staying here. Best wishes for more successful lodging endeavors down the road. Sincerely, John (owner, Sunshine Inn)

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Our family stays here whenever we come through Wall (every 2-3 years). The owner is always super friendly, the room is always super clean, the beds are always comfortable. The location cannot be beat in Wall--just 1/4 block to Wall Drug and more shopping/dining. The morning coffee, juice, and rolls are appreciated. The price is excellent--as return customers, we paid only 66. for a queen and a double bed. You will not regret staying here!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
friendlysdinnkeeper, Owner at Sunshine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

"Friendly" "clean" and "comfortable" . . . those are three of our favorite words, especially when applied to your experience at the Sunshine Inn! Mentioning our location and the complimentary coffee, juice and rolls at our "quick start nook" only make us beam all the more with pleasure and pride. I particularly appreciate you mentioning our very competitive rates! Yet for all of the kind remarks you make, we are proudest of the fact that you choose to return periodically, which to us is the highest compliment that we can receive. You can bet that you're always welcome here--and that we'll strive to make every visit as high-valued and memorable as you've come to expect. Thanks again. Hope to see you again, sooner rather than later! Best wishes, John (owner, Sunshine Inn)

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Booked a room here last minute for my 13 year old nephew and myself (his Auntie). John, Sunshine Inn owner, couldn't have been more accessible, helpful and friendly. The Sunshine is more of a motel - each room has entrance to the outside. The Inn is a bit dated, just the basics m'am, however the rooms are clean and tidy and have cable and wifi. John, the proprietor, is on site and available. I would most definitely recommend this, and intend to visit again !

2  Thank PamKev2013
friendlysdinnkeeper, Owner at Sunshine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and commenting so favorably about me and the Sunshine Inn here on TripAdvisor. The most enjoyable part of my business is getting to know my customers and being as helpful as possible with their immediate requirements and general planning for their time in Wall and their trips around the area. As you note, I'm available and accessible and ready to be of service at a moment's notice. Thanks also for noting our cleanliness and tidiness--the Sunshine Inn is committed to maintaining itself in tip-top condition at all times. We regularly replace our furnishings, fixtures and equipment --and have the latest in cable tv and wi-fi equipment and components at all times. Our wi-fi service in particular is unrivaled when it comes to reliability and strength of signal, with a connection speed of 5 MBps. Thanks again for your gracious comments here--we certainly hope to see you again sometime. Best wishes, John (owner, Sunshine Inn)

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I have to say, the Sunshine Inn owners went above and beyond for us. We rode in for the last weekend of Sturgis and we called to let them know we wouldn't be in until 4 or 5 am. John was extremely accommodating and friendly and said it would be no problem at all. He made our stay there very hospitable and seemed at ease and friendly with all who walked in the door.

The rooms were very clean (in fact more clean than expected for a small motel - I didn't get pics though). The beds were so-so as far as comfort level, but I didn't expect it to be anything special since it is a motel. We also needed more pillows and John promptly brought us some.

They offered free continental breakfast of coffee, oj, & danish/mini-donuts. I didn't try the coffee (I'm a foo-foo coffee drinker - love my hazelnut creamer [and they didn't have any]). The donuts were yummy though and a nice morning treat.

I think what was most surprising, and a wonderful surprise, was that it had rained during the night and the hotel staff put towels on all the biker's motorcycles in the morning so they could dry their bikes! Now that is service!!

And who can beat the price?? I mean, this is the last weekend of Sturgis. I searched all over for a place to stay and prices ranged from $150 to +$300/night! This place, only $99/night! To top it off, we had a dog with us, and they allowed us to bring her and didn't charge us extra for it. We also didn't need any cleaning service (just fresh towels), and they took $10 off our second night!

John, thank you for your hospitality. Next year, you will be the only motel we call for a reservation!

Room Tip: We had the upper level end corner room and barely heard the bikes rolling out in the morning! It wa...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thanks so much for staying and commenting. It's very gratifying when customers consider our everyday service to be "above and beyond". Being up and ready to greet very late arrivals is just standard operating procedure here, but we love having you call attention to it and couldn't be more appreciative that you did. As you and so many other reviewers here note, cleanliness is a most important component of our service and facilities--and though you didn't find your mattresses exactly to your suiting, our customers generally feel that our beds are quite comfy and restful. Given the lateness of your arrival it wouldn't have been possible to check around for rooms with beds that might've been better suited to you, a policy that we follow whenever a customer requests it. If we're lucky enough to see you on a return visit, we'll make certain to go through that process, if feasible. As to our "quick start nook" and its offerings of complimentary coffee, tea, orange juice and sweet rolls--it's consistent with our "value orientation" and most customers find it to be a great eye-opener, certainly more than adequate to get started on their day. We're happy to provide motorcyclists with all the rags they need to wipe down their bikes in the morning. Additionally, I have a hose and pressure nozzle available for those who want to give their motorcycles a complete wash, and will even provide a bucket, rags and detergent to help with the process. I want to thank you again for your gracious and positive comments about the Sunshine Inn and certainly do look forward to seeing you again sometime down the road. Best wishes, John (owner, Sunshine Inn)

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were driving to Chicago and used the motel as a stop over. It was literally next to the town (and Wall Drug) but still very quiet and safe. The owner was the nicest host we've met on our 10 week road trip. The room was clean. Wifi connection speed was 5Mbps and was fine.

Our air conditioner was a bit loud when changing temperatures but I thought this couldn't be fixed so I left it. When I spoke to the owner the next morning he said it could have been changed in 5 min (my fault for not asking about it). My wife didn't notice it though and wasn't bad. When we checked out he offered us a partial refund for the inconvenience but I couldn't accept it as it was my fault for not asking about it earlier.

They offer coffee, orange juice, sweet rolls and mini doughnuts in the morning in the office. If you're willing to spend more for a hotel they may offer a bigger breakfast, I would rather stay here and have what they offer. It's great value.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jagberg
friendlysdinnkeeper, Owner at Sunshine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you for staying here and commenting about your experience at the Sunshine Inn. We're always gratified when guests mention our cleanliness, as our housekeeping standards are the highest in the industry. I'm particularly pleased when positive mentions are made about our wi-fi service, as I believe we have the fastest and strongest wi-fi signal possible going into all of our rooms, thanks to several routers distributed throughout the motel. I'm still somewhat mystified by the air conditioning issue you brought up, as the unit you had seemed to be working properly the next day, but then, mechanical fixtures can be quirky at times. To be on the safe side, I removed it and installed another unit, so future guests in that room can be assured there won't be a repetition. We happily offer coffee, juice and a variety of donuts and sweet rolls in the office every morning, in keeping with our low-cost, high-value orientation, and we're so glad you called attention to it. Having you visit here was a pleasure for all of us at the Sunshine Inn. Certainly hope we see you sometime down the road. Best wishes, John (owner, Sunshine Inn)

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Just to be clear, this is a no-frills, basic motel. The rooms are simple and older but clean and safe. For the money, I would consider this a good value-- not a four star property, but fairly priced for what you get. As mentioned, the owner is very friendly and helpful and runs a nice motel. Perhaps you can find a nicer room in Wall (I wouldn't know as this was my first time here) but you won't go wrong here.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
friendlysdinnkeeper, Owner at Sunshine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Sunshine Inn and providing a succinct and forthright description of your experience, which, as you note, was a "good value." As value is our most important asset, we're always delighted when guests take note of it here, especially as we believe that we do "basic" very well, giving our customers a great return on their costs, which are typically substantially lower than local franchised properties. In return, our rooms--as literally hundreds of TripAdvisor reviewers have noted over the years--are clean, functional, and very competitively priced. Your summary statement that "you won't go wrong here" is a great compliment to our efforts and, if we may say so ourselves, an excellent bit of advice to the traveling public! Thanks so much staying--certainly do hope we see you folks again. Best wishes, John (owner, Sunshine Inn)

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Sunshine Inn. Typically I stay at chain hotels but chose this location since it had many positive ratings on Trip Advisor. The hotel is located very close to the attractions in “downtown” Wall. It was an easy walk of minutes to Wall Drug and it was next door to the Wounded Knee Museum. The local grocery store is a couple of minutes walk from the hotel. The room was very clean and well kept. The owner is very friendly and helpful. Although the rooms do not have a microwave and refrigerator, you can store items in the refrigerator and microwave food in the main office. The only drawback was that the tap water from the cold faucet was very warm both during the day and night. The owner told me that this is not something that he can fix as this is a geological problem. I have no idea if this warm water issue is the same at the other hotels in Wall. I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your thoughts here. That you "would definitely stay in this hotel again" is an endorsement that we most appreciate and a reminder to keep up the standards that you find worthy of re-experiencing. At the peak of the summer our water supply does tend to warm up, so I'm extra aware of my customers' needs for as much ice as possible, which we happily provide, both for room use and ice chests in unlimited quantities, all for free, of course. We also appreciate you mentioning our easy proximity to Wall's world famous downtown attractions, including Wall Drug Store. Everything you'd want to do in Wall is just a short walk away from our Main Street location. Thanks again for the kind remarks. We certainly do hope you'll come see us again. Best wishes, John (owner, Sunshine Inn)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wall
Best Western Plains Motel
Econo Lodge Wall
Econo Lodge Wall
#8 of 11 in Wall
Badlands Interior Motel and Campground

Been to Sunshine Inn? Share your experiences!