“Clean, good location, great owner”
Review of Sunshine Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wall
Sunshine Inn
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Wall
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed at the Sunshine Inn for the first time last week. I was very pleased with it. It is located a block from Wall Drug and the bars/restaurants in Wall. The wi-fi was very fast, with a good strong signal (several times the speed at hotels I have stayed in in large cities). Each morning, there is coffee, OJ, and donuts/danishes in the office. The room was spotlessly clean and fresh.

But the best thing about the Sunshine Inn is John, the owner. He is friendly and greets each guest by name. He is also a wealth of information about the area, its history, and attractions. It is obvious that John genuinely cares about his guests and has an enthusiasm about providing great service that is not seen much these days. I have no idea when the man sleeps, he was up late at night helping guests, and was up early the next morning greeting arrivals and wishing departures a safe trip.

I regret not giving the Sunshine Inn a try years ago. It provides much better service, a cleaner room, and John, all at a better rate than the chains located in Wall. Next year I will book early to ensure I stay at the Sunshine for my annual visit to Wall.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

On both a professional and personal level, I'm extremely gratified by your kind remarks. As a business, the Sunshine Inn goes to great lengths to provide our guests with a high-value stay, and as you note, immaculate rooms, a great location just a block away from all the "action" on Main Street, powerful and fast wi-fi service and a an array of fresh donuts, rolls, orange juice and coffee in the morning are part of the package. That I enjoy getting to know my customers and sharing as much about this area that I love is a special bonus, both for me and, happily, many customer like you. Thank you so much for staying here and sharing your impressions. Looking forward to your next visit. Best wishes, John (owner, Sunshine Inn)

There are newer reviews for Sunshine Inn

Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

Checkin was quick as they were expecting us. Staff were great - recommended a good local restaurant for dinner (Red Rock) and overview of Wall. Came over and chatted in the morning as we were packing the car and had more great advice about how to spend the next few days in the Black Hills.

Room: Basic, clean and quiet.

Amenities: Did not take advantage of the coffee/sweet rolls offered in the morning as we had a large family and the office was small.

Location: One minute walk from Wall Drug.

Would stay definitely here again.

• Stayed: July 2012
Management response:Responded July 8, 2012

Check-in/check-out is done in a jiffy here, with virtually no waiting in line and everything ready to go when you arrive and depart. The process usually takes no more than a couple of minutes, making the move from your car to your room quick and easy. We love to chat with our customers and are always happy to give advice on restaurants, attractions, directions, weather--you name it. And yes, our distance from Wall Drug Store is probably about a minute, time wise. Thanks for staying here and sharing your nice remarks. We hope to see you again sometime. Best wishes, John (owner, Sunshine Inn)

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed at this awesome little hotel June 28-29 and were very happy with how clean the rooms were and the amazing hospitality offerd. When I go for coffee each morning I do not expect the owner to great me by name and carry on helpful very plesant conversation but that is what you get in Wall South Dakota. We will return.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Johnsquires
Management response:Responded July 8, 2012

Thanks for sharing your experiences at the Sunshine Inn. I make it a point to get to know my customers by name as well as something about them. Personal contact completes the experience for us--and apparently it did so for you. We appreciate the kind remarks and would love to see you here again. Best wishes, John (owner, Sunshine Inn)

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights (6/28/12-7/3/12) and was impressed. The rooms were clean, the surroundings were quiet, and John (the owner) does a fantastic job of making sure that we had everything we needed. I walked to the lobby to get coffee in the mornings (he also has OJ and pastries) and always learned something new about the area, the history, or even the local people. He is a wealth of information and has lots of suggestions on interesting places to visit nearby. The hotel is located 1 block from Wall Drug, restaurants, and bars.

I travel to Wall almost every summer, and I will certainly be staying at the Sunshine Inn from now on.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JLE-Travels-a-lot
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Needed a place to stay while doing work in Wall. Rooms are clean and comfortable. The location is great to walk downtown to eat and shop. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Bruce B
Management response:Responded July 8, 2012

Appreciate your kind remarks. Though not primarily focused on business travelers, we nonetheless have ample desk space and powerful wi-fi connections. Along with our location, just a block away from Wall's restaurants and attractions, the Sunshine Inn makes for a handy spot to locate while in town of business for an extended stay. Thanks for noting it and sharing it here. Hope to see you again. Best, John (owner, Sunshine Inn)

Reviewed July 4, 2012

My family had a very positive experience at the Sunshine Inn. I called the day before to reserve a room and let them know that we would be in late because we had a long day planned before arriving in Wall. When we didn't show up as soon as expected, they called to make sure that we were on our way. This was very thoughtful and the people we dealt with the entire time were nice as could be. The room was very basic and very clean. The value was excellent. The beds were not the too comfortable so if comfortable beds is a must for you I would look elsewhere. The access to the Badlands was excellent.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Headed through SD on the way back to IN and was looking for a place to sleep overnight. Called from Rapid City and talked with John (owner) and he gave me a rate I could not refuse. Drove out to the motel and when I walked in he took care of me quickly.
Hadn't been to a motel with actual room keys in a long time but once in the room - it was just what I was looking for. Clean room, clean sheets, clean bed, clean bathroom. Nothing fancy but a great place to sleep and stay. Walked over to Wall Drug (about 1 minute away).
WIFI worked great, shower was hot, towels were clean, and air worked great. I couldn't have asked for more.
In the morning, the family went down and got some doughnuts and orange juice. They said John was super nice.
A big thank you to the Sunshine Inn for making it a great stopping place every time I come through South Dakota.
Remember - Spend your money locally and support family owned business. When the owner is on-site, you will have a better experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jonathan S
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Got a laugh over your comment about our room keys. Yes, they're quite retro and fit the overall "down home" scheme of the Sunshine Inn. We're big on old-fashioned value, as you note, but plenty up-to-date when it comes to providing customers with a great array of cable tv options and, of course, the fastest and most powerful wi-fi signal available anywhere. We also make a desktop pc available in the office area and can even make a spare laptop or two available when necessary. Thanks for staying and sharing your thoughts. Hope to see you again sometime. Best wishes, John (owner, Sunshine Inn)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wall
Best Western Plains Motel
Econo Lodge Wall
Econo Lodge Wall
#8 of 11 in Wall
Badlands Interior Motel and Campground

Been to Sunshine Inn? Share your experiences!