“Nothing special”

Wall Drug Store Cafe
Ranked #2 of 10 Restaurants in Wall
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Wall Drug is one of the largest roadside attractions in the world! With seating available for up to 520 in the Cafe! We are set up for large groups, families with children, and tour groups. With twenty different shops that cater to any of your shopping desires.
Reston, Virginia
“Nothing special”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The ice cream was average. It was crawling with kids, and therefore noisy.

Madison, Wisconsin
“Don't miss the donuts!!!”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This is a re-visit of Wall Drug Cafe. Whenever we head west on vacation, we stop in for a breakfast, a supper, or both - on the way out and on the way back. We’ve been doing this for 50 years so you might call us regulars.

Let me start with the coffee:
Coffee is 5 cents a cup - EVERY cup. I always bring a pocketful of nickels when I come. I love to get there early so I can get coffee and then wander the dining rooms looking at the artwork. That’s good for about five cups before I’m ready to eat. The coffee is good, not Starbucks, but good. It would be possible to cheat the system but don’t - this is part of the soul of this place.

Donuts:
The donuts are killers!! The first year they served them you got them in the Emporium room and they came in only one flavor - plain. They are still made there but now you pick them up in the cafe where you place your orders. They now have a variety of frosted donuts now but I still love the plain ones. (Always get some to go too so we have snacks for a couple days of driving.) I’m tempted by the sticky buns but I’m a traditionalist.

Now the food:
The food is good diner fare. My meals have always been tasty, plentiful, and usually served pretty quickly. There is not an extensive menu but what they provide is good diner fare. From burgers (beef or bison or veggie), to steak, fish, shrimp and chicken dinners you’ll do well. Desserts are excellent, Pizza is served in the back yard in the Prairie Food Shoppe. That’s where you’ll find the cappuccino, espresso and latte are also back there.

The breakfasts there are absolutely the greatest!! but if you are indecisive you can order the breakfast buffet to try a variety of things.

If you’ve never eaten bison before, here’s your place to start. You’ll discover that bison tastes like flavorful beef. It takes a careful cook to keep from drying it out. (In our area of Wisconsin we have a couple of growers so it’s a regular in our stores.)

How the system works:
- When you arrive, go to the back of the cafe. in the corner of the counter you’ll see the menus. In my photo down below you’ll see the menus (in Green) on the corner of the counter. The people standing around are in line to order. (For orientation, the front of the cafe is to the right.)

- Then, go find a table where you can look over the menu. When you have decided what everyone wants, send one person back to place your order and pay for it. (You’ll see a sign that says “Order Here” just next to where you found the menus.)

- The person taking your order will give you a number. When you have the number you can go back to your table to wait until your order is ready. When you hear them call your number go back to the counter just down from where you ordered (to the left in the photo) to pick up your food AND silverware. (Take someone with you if you ordered more than one cafeteria tray of food.)

- Enjoy the food and then just leave everything. The staff will clean up after you.

NOTE: The staff here is mainly made up of college kids from all over the US. Say “Hi”. If they have time they are fun to talk to.

• Visited June 2012
3 Thank johnfaludi
Madison, Wisconsin
“Be sure to stop - interesting and fun”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We almost didn't bother stopping but I'm glad we did. They serve breakfast/lunch/dinner - there is so much to see and do. I thought it'd be a bunch of accumulated stuff but it is a collection of history, memorabilia, espresso - ice cream - doughnuts - of course, free ice water. There is a nice outdoor park w/ some good photo ops - a splash park for little kids. Reasonably priced -

Frankfort, Illinois
“Better than it looks.”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

The cafe looks like a bad smorgasbord. However, we ordered turkey sandwiches and they were very tasty and healthy.

Fairfield Township, Ohio
“Expensive yet bland”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I had their "famous" roast beef sandwich. I'd rather have had Arby's and would have paid half as much. But hey, the water is free!

Visited June 2012

Been to Wall Drug Store Cafe? Share your experiences!