“Arrived Too Late For A Great Experience”

Red Rock Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 10 Restaurants in Wall
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dunkirk, New York
“Arrived Too Late For A Great Experience”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The Red Rock was recommended by our hotel clerk when I asked where the locals ate on a Sunday evening. As it turned out, we were seated within about 40 minutes of closing time after an 11 hour driving day. Two of our group opted for the buffet and at this time of evening, it had been severely picked over and we were told it would not be restocked. You could tell that both the kitchen staff and front of house folk just really wanted to get the night finished. Pretty disappointed in truth. This might be worth another try at a better time of day, but it will be a while before we pass through again.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Minnesota
“OK, but expected better”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Based on the reviews from trip advisor, I decided to eat dinner here instead of Wall Drug. It was OK, but nothing great. The salad bar was very, very basic....the food was alright, but nothing great. The chicken sandwich I ordered was a grilled chicken breast on a bun with a leaf of lettuce and a slice of tomato. I had to ask for mayonnaise. My son had the buffalo burger and said it was very good.

This restaurant does not have much seating....so get here early!

We stayed in Wall for 2 days and did not eat here again. We ate our next dinner at Wall Drug, the food was better than the Red Rock....but much more costly.

Arena, Wisconsin
“Hit or Miss”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Between the four of us, two of us had decent entrees. The broasted chicken looked good, and my husband liked his patty melt. We also ordered the tacos and the "crispy" chicken sandwich, which was downright awful. Think like a kid's chicken tender plank on a bun. The burritos being served at the other table looked good however!

They do include the salad bar with their dinner entrees, but none of us ordered one of those because the jump in price didn't seem worth it.

Honestly I'd rather have tried one of the restaurants on Main Street...

• Visited July 2013
Wichita, Kansas
“Not extraordinary, but not bad either.”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

It was better than expected. The salad bar was plain with nothing out of the ordinary but the soup that night was very good. The service was ok. The food was as expected, good but not great. For a tourist town this place was better than most.

Hastings, Minnesota, United States
“Very Forgettable Experience”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This place is rated #2 as of now on this site for the Wall area. I flat out refused to eat at Wall Drug, so this place was the natural choice. Getting here, I was already disappointed in the fact that no booths are available at this restaurant. All they have for seating are rocky tables. We were seated right next to the buffet, so I could have a good view of the disgusting ensemble they put out. It looked and smelled off. Now, to the actual meal.

Appetizer - garlic cheesy sticks. These were surprisingly good, although $4 for 2 sticks is a little exorbitant. The marinara sauce provided was likely frozen, but was still decent tasting.

Meals - Chicken Fingers and Chicken Fried Steak. The chicken fingers were NOT like most chicken fingers my girlfriend has had, nor myself. Rather than having a light breading, these strips were ENTOMBED in an overdone breading. There was about a half inch of free space between the chicken and the breading. The waffle fries that came with the strips were pretty good, however, good seasoning and crispy. The chicken fried steak was not very good. Tough, flavorless cube steak with again an overcooked breading. The cream gravy was very basic. Peppery, but with a good consistency and taste. The mashed potatoes came with the same cream gravy, which wasn't what I was expecting, but tasted fine.

No dessert, as we were both ready to leave by the time our meals arrived. Service was pretty fast, but the food took awhile. I wasn't left waiting for a drink refill, which for me is one of the most important things, so that was a plus.

Overall, this is likely the best place to eat in Wall, given what places look like on a drive-by as well as other user ratings. If I was in Wall again, and didn't want to go to Rapid City for better dining, I would probably eat here again, if only to try one of their more expensive steaks. But if I'm going to do that, why not just go to Rapid City? Stop in Wall for Wall Drug, lodge there if that's your thing, then go on your way.

• Visited July 2013