The Borrowdale Gates Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
$191
$185
  • Restaurant
All reviewsborrowdale gateslake districtdining roomhigh standardfirst classexcellent foodlovely hotelevening mealmany yearsnothing is too much troublered squirrelsstunning viewsbird feedersattention to detailsuperior roomreturn visitnew owners
Reviewed June 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights and upgraded to one of the new rooms - Fairy Glen for 2 nights. It was a lovely big room with fabulous views and a window seat in the bedroom amd bathroom from which to sit and enjoy it all. The staff are professional yet friendly and the food was delicious - lovely 3 course dinner with lots of choice and fabulous breakfasts. On arrival we had a cream tea in the garden which was simply blissful - scones that were obviously fresh and warmed in an oven and not a microwave -mmmmm! The view from the dining room are spectacular and if you want a tranquil break with great food then this is your place.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2010

I recently booked three rooms at this hotel for a family celebration. The rooms were around £220 on a DB&B basis in deluxe rooms. There are a lot of good things about this hotel, but I don't think it lived up to expectations, or the cost. The good points first - the location is stunning, the hotel is large and set in a very quiet area, the grounds and garden are well kept and are a lovely place to sit and relax, and breakfast was superb. The open fireplaces were welcoming on a wet day, and there were plenty of books and games to keep you busy whilst indoors. I was however disappointed with a few things - firstly, all three rooms were classed as deluxe, but were very different. One had a balcony, two didn't. One was far smaller than the other two, appointed less favourably and had a much smaller and more old fashioned bathroom. Other hotels would classify this room as a standard. The balcony and views were great though. The rooms look a lot more modern on the website than they actually are and I was disappointed by the overall refurbishment having read other reviews and spent some time researching on the internet. When we arrived at the hotel, we were extremely rushed by the lady we met at reception (who I think is the owner), and didn't really have time to take in the differences between the rooms, or to chat to her about the hotel amenities etc - we weren't made to feel particularly welcome. We all felt dinner was nice, but average, nothing special. Service was good until we went to the bar after dinner. The bar closed at around 10pm. Whilst we weren't intending a late night, we were celebrating and weren't quite ready for bed yet! Not only did the bar close, but they also started to turn off the lights! We were left in a small corner of the hotel with a lonely light for company. We went to the reception desk (in the dark), rang the bell and eventually managed to order more drinks. When we went for our final round at around 11.30pm, nobody responded to the bell. This added to the feeling of not being very welcome. Also, there is still some refurbishment work being carried out on the 1st floor, and the room on this floor didn't have a phone because they hadn't put a line in yet. This meant you couldn't order room service or milk (which is provided fresh) for tea/coffee. I don't think I'd stay here again and have stayed in far nicer, boutique hotels with better food, decor and service for the same price. Overall, a little disappointing.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank CITY_BREAK_KAT
Reviewed May 3, 2010

My wife and myself booked the Borrowdale Gates for the May day weekend with a Deluxe bedroom for my 60th birthday, when we arrived we were given a free upgrade to a Superior room. We were shown to a beautiful room (Fairy Glen) which had recently been completed following a major rebuild/refurbishment to a very high standard with large bed and double aspect windows. The bathroom was fantastic with a bath & seperate power shower. My wife had rung ahead and ordered champagne which was beautifully presented in a glass bucket with ice and classic champagne flutes.
The dining room is spacious with fantastic views into Borrowdale. Food is second to none and the staff are effecient but not obtrusive.
We would unreservedly recommend this Hotel and if booked through the internet is even better value.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for rour nights and every thing about it was right. The staff were friendly, heplful and efficient. The public rooms well furnished and decorated, plenty of space and comfortable chairs with lakeland views. Our room was a recent addition after extensive renovations to the hotel and was superb. Very comfortable, and the bathroom the best we have ever stayed in with separate shower and bath! The food in the restaurant was so good, one tended to over-eat! The service 1st class.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2010

My family and I have just spent a long weekend in luxury. We were in three beautiful rooms, one of which was the Wainwright room. I would recommend this room to anyone, it is at the corner of the hotel and has French windows opening out onto a balcony on one side of the room and a large window on the other wall both of which look out onto stunning views of the Borrowdale valley. There is plenty to see from the bedrooms and huge lounge patio windows for just outside we could see sheep, lambs, horses, birds, deer within a few yards of the hotel, along with the ever changing stunning atmospheric views. This is the second time I have stayed in the hotel this year and again cannot fault any part of it, just a wonderful hotel and area in which to spend your time.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family