“Not much change here”

The Borrowdale Gates Hotel
Berkshire, UK
“Not much change here”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I've been staying here every two or three years since the late 1990's. In that time, its changed hands a time or two, has grown quite a bit and the facilities in the rooms and public areas have been enhanced quite a bit. But they've managed to do this without altering the character of the place too much and without imposing the presence of the hotel on its environment too much. Thats something of an achievement. The only thing they haven't done is affect the weather . It still rains a lot in Borrowdale and I feel I've spent enough time inside this hotel to know it pretty well!

Our latest two night stay saw us in one of their standard rooms on the new second floor with lift access.. It was smart, spacious and with a decent bathroom. The WiFi didn't work in that part of the hotel, but as I say the room was great. We'd bought a DBB package and the meals were fine, though maybe not as good as we remembered. Still I do recall thhat the loin of venison I ate on the first night was very tender and tasty, and that the "surf&turf " I had as a starter was less successful. We ate a sandwich lunch there one day and that was fine.

The only aspect I'd criticise is perhaps value. DBB in our std room was £205 for two per night plus of course wine. If you pay by credit card thats an extra 2% which I frankly don't agree with- if they don't accept cards they won't get many customers and the vast majority of places just absorb this cost and I think they should too, or refuse the cards. Then when you check out you're asked at the desk whether you want to leave a gratuity. I normally tip in restaurants, but not in hotels, and I found this embarrassing. I think they should leave this issue to the guest to deal with as they go, person to person.

1 Thank DavidHBerkshire_UK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

If you can then I'll share this with you, staying at The Borrowdale Gates Hotel is simply the most wonderful Lakeland experience. The attention to detail is evident throughout the hotel, it is truly impeccable. The other reviews reflect a true description of the perfect facilities available, so no more words, just keep this to yourself and we will all be able to enjoy a piece of heaven in the Lake District.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank littleB_11
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I along with my parents stayed here recently, I booked this via the web site as it looked nice . When we arrived we were greeted warmly by the girl on reception and taken to our rooms which was nice as often you are pointed in a general direction in most hotels. The Borrowdale Gates was a very pleasant surprise with beautiful rooms and great views, clearly the owners have gone to great lengths to ensure you are very comfortable . The beds are best I have ever slept in and when dinning you are in for a culinary treat, the food was fantastic and a great wine list also . I am in the tourist industry and would have no problem pointing people to this hotel but somehow I don't think they will need me too do this as it must be on everyone's radar . I just hope there is a room for my wife and I when we return and that is the best compliment I can give this quiet and peaceful hotel, go on try it for yourself.
Gerry & Nancy

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank gerry M
leicester
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Called in for lunch whilst on a walk and had the nicest welcome we ever had anywhere. The young lady who greeted us showed us through the hotel to a lovely, bright, lounge with great views. Ordered lunch which was very tasty, obviously freshly made and beautifully presented by other equally great staff. So impressed we've booked to stay in a few months.

Well done the management who hired the staff!!!

Lancaster
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I recently spent one night at this beautiful Lakeland hotel with my husband. We had a lovely room overlooking sumptuous views (sadly it was too wet to sit on the balcony) which was truly comfortable and room with an excellent ensuite bathroom. We arrived late afternoon having had a lovely local walk (this really has to be one of the most beautiful areas of the Lake District) and were told that we could have complementary tea and homemade biscuits in the lounge area which looks out over the gardens. Dinner was delicious and the service was perfect. Breakfast the next morning met all my expectations. I don't think there is anything this hotel could improve on, I will definitely be returning!

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Have to give the management credit.We turned up here,after beautiful day in the Lakes decided to stay on a whim ,straight off the fells dressed only in in our walking gear. Despite our scruffiness - clean tshirts bought in Penrith only concession to propriety- we were treated like royalty.
Food lovely - recommend the fillet steak- and generous measures of whiskey.
Basic room was excellent with private view of Borrowdale. Fab breakfast
We had a lovely time

Room Tip: Dont worry about the sheep
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2013

There were 19 of us having just spent three nights here. 8 were our children and their spouses, a nephew and 8 grandchildren, also three dogs and a tortoise.
Everything was perfect and all the staff who cared for us from our arrival to leaving gave 100% of their attention,We could not have been anywhere better.It would be unfair to single any partcular amenity or person out above another. It was a most wonderful experience and we would return next week if that were possible!
However for my wife and me it was the 6th time. and we shall continue visitng this as our No 1 hotel.

Room Tip: we love room 14 but we occupied 4,6,7,11,12,19,20. All superb with lovely views
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grange-in-Borrowdale
Lodore Falls Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rosthwaite
Overwater Hall
Overwater Hall
#1 of 1 in Ireby

Been to The Borrowdale Gates Hotel? Share your experiences!