“Nice location, friendly staff”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vermillion
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Vermillion
“Nice location, friendly staff”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Stayed here for just one night and was pleased with the experience. The front desk clerk couldn't have been more friendly. (He was there when I got to the hotel around 9 p.m. and again when I went down for breakfast at 6 or so. Friendly both times!)

The room was in fine shape. The only "problem" I had was the AC unit wasn't loud enough for my tastes. I know that might sound odd, but I count on the AC unit to drown out the noise from adjoining rooms and hallways. The adjoining rooms weren't a problem this time around, but there were some teens hanging out near the vending machine area, and I would've loved for the humm of the AC to block out their chatter.

Location wasn't hugely important for me on this trip. But I could see where folks doing business at the university would like this property. The Dakota Dome is a few hundred yards from the hotel parking lot. It was easy to jump on the highway in the morning and be on my way.

Breakfast was excellent. I don't say that too often at hotels, because their offerings tend to blend together in my mind. But the spread at this Holiday Inn really hit the spot. Also, a well-sized breakfast area.

All in all, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Blackwater, Missouri
Reviewed May 21, 2014

My husband spent 25 years with the US Navy and we have stayed in more than our share of hotels/motels. This establishment is by far one of the better hotels in which we have stayed. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The hotel is clean and offers all amenities. Our stay was during graduation weekend and the hotel was filled with guests. There was plenty of hot water for showers; the breakfast bar was filled with many choices, both hot and cold, the serving pans were continually filled with freshly prepared goodies and the coffee was absolutely delicious!
This is the place to stay! Get your reservations early, because the word is out about what a great place this is.

Room Tip: We've stayed here 3 times and all the rooms have been quiet and comfortable. We always request...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Good value. Clean, quiet, comfortable, We always stay here when in Vermillion. Service from staff is good. No issues. Our only disappointment this trip is that the hot tub isn't working. Breakfast is fine.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Reviewed January 15, 2014

It was my third time in that hotel. I think this is the best place to stay in town.
Staff was friendly, rooms were clean, and since it was a business trip I have nothing negative to say. Not bad for being in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Amanda W, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vermillion, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank You so much for choosing to stay with us & for taking the time to comment on our hotel.
We highly value our guest's opinion.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

This was our 4th of 5th visit at this loc. This is the best quality hotel in town. We were welcomed with smile from , if I remember correctly , Zach. He was nice and polite as always. After we found out we had no frig in the room ,I called the front desk asking for help, 5 min later we had our frig in the room. Nice job Zach. Yes this hotel looks like needs a face lift and apparently it is going to happen next year. Bad , pillows and towels were very nice. We just found some stain on the cover of the bad, did not call front desk about, no big deal. Breakfast : it was ok I wish to have more variety of morning sausages, it would be nice to have a waffle instead of this "fake" pancakes machine. Suddenly every hotel has a pancake machine which makes tasteless pancakes. Would be nice to have better selection of fruit and ham, cheese.
The breakfast area in very small to accommodate all guests at the same time. Otherwise we wish this location would get more modern soon also the outside doors from the south did not have a lock working on it, everybody could enter the building. I went to the front desk to report it , this was around 22:00, the front desk guy said :they know about it and this is what it is. RED FLAG !!!! Manager please fix this hotel's security on all your outdoor door ASAP before something happens. thank you.

Stayed November 2013
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I went to stay at this hotel and when I arrived I was going to be charged double the amount that was on my confirmation.
When asked why to the person working the front desk he said he did not know but that I would have to talk to the manager on Monday.....another huge inconvenience.
If you are looking for a Holiday Inn, go to Sioux Falls or Yankton, SD and stay far away from Vermillion as they are rude, disrespectful and talk down to you as if you are not allowed to stay there!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank guesthouse2
Amanda W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vermillion, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
I do apologize for the rate increase, however this reservation was a employee rate & when my Front Desk Agent called to verify the guest's employment with that hotel thier Front Desk Agent did not know this person at all. I also asked for a employee card to be brought in at checkin & a copy of a employee card was emailed instead.

Travelers are raving about these Vermillion hotels

South Dakota
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I made one night's reservation on-line and then called the week of to ask about a second night. They didn't have a room with 2 queen beds for the second night but they did have a king suite. Since my daughter would be staying on campus the second night, we decided to move to the king room the second night. Our soon would be able to use the pull-out sofa. We were told on the phone that the king suite was more money but that they would charge us the cost of a queen room both nights. Well, on the second day we asked about moving rooms and were told we would be staying in the queen room. Ok, so our bill showed that we paid $140.16 for the first night and $133.46 for the second night. Not sure why the price difference since we stayed in the same room both nights and the queen was supposed to be less expensive than the king? The breakfast in the morning was fine and what you would expect from a Holiday Inn Express. The rooms are very dated. It is time for them to do some remodeling, as you can see in the photos. Taking a shower was a process because the room would steam up terribly and the shower took a long time because of the poor water pressure. There aren't many hotel choices in Vermillion but I think next time we visit our daughter in Vermillion we will stay in Sioux Falls and make the drive. The hotel doesn't warrant the $140 nightly charge.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank luvgoofy4064
Alexander F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vermillion, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
I do apologize for your room being dated, however the hotel is getting a new remodel this next year. As for your first night's stay that had been made online, which the hotel is not able to change the rate. On the second night our Front Desk was able to offer you the lower rate. I do apologize again & if you had anymore questions please feel free to contact me at the hotel.

Amanda Whittecar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vermillion
Best Western Vermillion Inn
Cobblestone Inn and Suites Hartington
Red Roof Inn Vermillion
Red Roof Inn Vermillion
#2 of 4 in Vermillion

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vermillion? Share your experiences!