“Nice Place”

Best Western Vermillion Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Vermillion
Reviewed May 27, 2013

All in all, it was a pretty good place to stay and I would probably stay there again. The following are just a few thoughts for the management and future travelers to consider.

The hotel was very nice, looked clean and was well decorated. The rooms were a good size but the walls were pretty thin. One really annoying problem was there were no stairs. I'm guessing someone (probably the government) made them put in an elevator, probably where the stairs used to be. We were there for the weekend with the family, so we spent a lot of time at the pool. After going back and forth to our second floor room a few times, waiting for the elevator got really annoying. Don't get me wrong, the elevator was nice for getting all our bags to and from the room and is probably necessary for ADA requirements and old people, but there is room for a nice looking staircase there too (just lose the fireplace).

The second day the housekeeper asked if we "needed any service" for our room. They seemed a little short staffed, so we said we didn't need the room cleaned, but we would like some fresh towels, soap and shampoo. She brought some towels but none of the other amenities we asked for.

Finally, breakfast isn't served until 7:00 on Saturday & Sunday. We were there for a tournament and needed to be at the fields by 7:00a, so that was a little disappointing. They seemed very nice, and had we known that, they probably would have opened the breakfast area earlier if we would have let them know ahead of time when our group booked the reservation.

Room Tip: If you plan on going back and forth to your room a lot, ask for a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Lisa E, Owner at Best Western Vermillion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property. Your comments give us feedback to create a more enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We installed the elevator in 2012 as a result of feedback from our guests with the only access to the 2nd floor being a staircase. Our goal is to open the "Emergency Exit" staircase to our guests for access as well. Think of us again when you travel through the Vermillion area.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

This was very impressive. Not really in a good way. I had an issue with my reservation and was assigned room #235. I have to think this was some kind of punishment for complaining. This room was like no other hotel room I've ever stayed at. The room is literally built around the elevator shaft. There really aren't any stairs so all the traffic going down uses the elevator and people generally continue their (loud) conversations waiting for it. The second floor also has a balcony which is open to the front desk, lobby and front door of the hotel-- which brings a cacophony of noise to this room.

The rest of the room details are quite ordinary. Linens, pillows, mattresses- all what you'd expect for a low end hotel- adequate, clean, but nothing to seek out.

10 AM checkout time? Who does this?

Room Tip: There may be good rooms. 235 isn't one of them.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Lisa E, Owner at Best Western Vermillion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am sorry you were not satisfied about your room location. Our staff had good intentions for your arrival. The hotel was full and I apologize for the noise. I hope you will try our hotel again in the future.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We had a terrific experience, the staff was friendly when we checked out in late and when we checked out in the morning. The room was up to date and clean. The beds were comfortable and the continental breakfast was more than satisfactory. Thank you for a great experience at a good price.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeff L

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to your future stays with us.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

From the last time I have been to this place it has changed to a Best Western. I was talking to the person at the front desk about it and she told me that the place has all brand new mattresses and it made a difference. I slept better here than I normally do at home. I was also visiting colleges and it was very close to the University of South Dakota. It was more than reasonably priced and it gave free breakfast! I don't remember having a single complaint about this place. Definitely a place worth staying at whether you're passing through or however long your stay is.

Room Tip: Me and a buddy had different rooms across the hall and I saw both rooms and from what I saw those tw...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nick D

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We appreciate you saying your stay was "AWESOME!". Thank you for choosing the Vermillion Best Western.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed at this hotel because South Dakota State Jackrabbits stayed there and usually stay where the team does so that we can visit with our daughters.

Found a pubic hair in whirlpool tub. I had Clorox wipes and used them before using tub. When used jets all this dirty stuff came out of the jets and left a film on the tub. Gross! Also, staff did not keep up with the breakfast food for as many guests as they had especially hot breakfast food. However, only one person there to do that plus run front desk; she did here best. Only offered microwaved hot breakfast sandwiches for hot food besides waffles. Too many carb choices and not enough protein choices. Breakfast area too small and not enough seating for amount of rooms in hotel and guests. Price higher than other hotels in area; only stayed there because team did.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Lisa E, Owner at Best Western Vermillion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for sharing your thoughts concerning your past stay us. We strive to provide each guest with a comfortable and pleasant stay. I am so sorry to know that we did not provide you with the stay your deserve. I was the Customer Care attendant who checked you in and managed the front desk until the following morning. I would have liked the opportunity to make the situation right. We are willing to do what ever it takes to make our guests happy if we are given the chance. I do hope you had a nice visit while in Vermillion. I would love the opportunity to win back your loyalty. Please contact me at the hotel directly if you should choose to try for the stay you deserve! Thank you for your input.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

This Best Western has become my preferred place to stay when in Vermillion. The staff is friendly and makes you feel welcome. The rooms are clean and well-equipped for a hotel in this price range. Overall, I feel very comfortable here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our newly renovated hotel. We look forward to your future stay with us.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Best Western in Vermillion, South Dakota. It was conveniently located in town a couple of blocks from the University and near a number of restaurants. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was a standard American motel room with two beds that sleep four. The room was clean and nicely done. There was not a lot of extra room, however. There was no reading chair or comfy chair and no reading lamp. There were two straight backed armless padded “desk chairs”. The hotel had a breakfast room and served a nice deluxe continental breakfast with one or two hot items. The pool area was nice and included a table and chairs and a hot tub. The hot tub only had two air jets working. They produced a weak flow. During my early morning visit, the water was tepid. The deck shower was warm, but the pressure was a weak dribble. Nonetheless, I recommend this hotel for a short stay in Vefrmillion for families or others.

As a lunch tip, be aware that there is a wonderful sandwich shop in the large Ace Hardware (believe it or not), a couple of blocks east of the hotel. It was the best food I had on our trip (bacon and pastrami on toasted flat bread). My wife and daughter had veggie sandwiches, while my son had gyros. All were good. Mark your order on the bag.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. I am glad you had the opportunity to stay in Vermillion. Our single queen rooms do have nice leather comfy chairs with desks and reading lamps. Our rooms with 2 queen beds however, do not have those amenities as they are geared more towards hosting families. I am glad to hear your enjoyed your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vermillion
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vermillion
Cobblestone Inn and Suites Hartington
Red Roof Inn Vermillion
Red Roof Inn Vermillion
#2 of 4 in Vermillion

Been to Best Western Vermillion Inn? Share your experiences!