“Spearfish Canyon”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Spearfish
Rushville, NE
“Spearfish Canyon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

My husband and I are here in South Dakota for the summer. I am working at Pine Ridge, and we are enjoying the weekends. I can not speak highly enough about this hotel. I am not sure why it is 5th, it should be 1st. The suite we stayed in was the size of 3 hotel rooms, and less expensive than our room at Rapid City. The only problem we had was they did not allow dogs in the suite and we were not told that. We rented the room next door and still paid less than our Rapid City room. The bed was not the softest bed around but if you like a firm mattress you will love this one, I like a soft matress, but my husband enjoyed it. The pool was wonderful, warm, and was 9 ft at its deep end and 3 ft at the other. The hot tub seated 6 people, warm, with strong jets. Staff was nice and the room was very clean. We highly recommend this hotel, and the scenic byway is worth visiting.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

Decent stay for the price. The location wasn't great because it was so far from places to eat. There was a subway and another restaurant down the road. It is close to I- 90. The room was $70 with our AAA discount. The indoor pool was nice but the pool isn't heated. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The rooms were big. The carpets need to be cleaned and I noticed when the beds were turned down that under the beds, there was trash. The breakfast was typical continental with waffles, fruit, slim selection of muffins/pastries/donuts, juice,and coffee. We would still recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

Unfortunately our stay was during the state track meet in Spearfish. Upon checking in we were told we could park at the rear of the building and go up the backstairs to our room. The only problem was the entire track team had congregated right at the top of the steps in the hall. The noise in our room was unreal, the kids screaming and hollaring for over an hour was a bit much...I know the noise could be heard in the lobby because we exited through the lobby when we went to eat (since the kids were still blocking the back steps). Once those kids finally dispersed the noise level was much better and I was able to sleep just fine. I just don't think the motel should allow a team to disrupt everyone else's stay.

Breakfast was well stocked considering the number of people and I was impressed with how quickly they replaced something once it ran out.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

I had a HORRIBLE experience at the Spearfish South Dakota Super 8. We arrived at 2:30pm to check in to get ready for a wedding they knew about that started at 4pm. Our room was NOT ready and the lady at the front desk (who was the manager) was EXTREMELY rude about it like it was our fault for checking in too early! She was also not accommodating about giving us a room that was ready. She told us to come back IN HALF AN HOUR!!!! 45 minutes later the room was done and we had to rush to get ready. The next morning she was again rude to people outside our room who wanted to just sit by the pool for five minutes to wait for it to open. I am VERY disappointed in everything about our stay! A bad stay to what should have been a happy weekend!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank NationalCowgirlHOF
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

I booked on-line through Orbitz, when we arrived everything was perfect. Megan at the Front desk was so wonderful. She was a breathe of fresh air. She was pleasant,helpful,and cheerful. We had never been to the area and we had lots of questions. She went above and beyond to answer any and all questions. Our room was good, with plenty of room. Our only issue was with low pressure in the bathroom. When I asked about it ,I was told the building was in the middle of being updated. The pool and hot tub were fantastic. After a long day sight seeing it was what we needed. My 10 year old son LOVED the video game, pool, and make your own waffles. Keep up the great job. Thank you Megan for all your help.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank kcdf
SPFSUPER8, General Manager at Super 8 Spearfish, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to write us a review. We enjoyed having you stay with us. If you are ever in the area again we would love to have you come back and visit. Thank you again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012 via mobile

This is a gem of a find! After five days of traveling across the U.S., I was on my last two days and wiped out. The manager was friendly and kind, the facilities were clean, and the beds were new. It was the most comfortable bed ever! Okay, maybe not the best ever, but definitely comfortable. And although I did not use the pool or hot tub, they looked VERY clean and inviting. I mean, seriously? How many Super 8's have you been to that even have a hot tub? And for only $45 in the off season! Thanks, Super 8 Spearfish!! :-)

Stayed March 2012
SPFSUPER8, General Manager at Super 8 Spearfish, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is our goal to make your stay as enjoyable and comfortable as possible. We look forward to seeing you again.
Brookings, South Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

We stayed here over thanksgiving, 2011 and I am again staying over Easter weekend 2012. Clean rooms, excellent service and a good location.

Room Tip: Lower floor corner suite has 2 private bedrooms with tvs and a shared living room/bathroom which is...