“What a Dump!”

Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Spearfish
Winnipeg, Canada
“What a Dump!”
Reviewed June 24, 2007

Stayed here June, 2007 for one night - never again.

This hotel is a hodgepodge of annexes. Tripped on the ratty old carpet covering the steps/walkway to our room because it had buckled. Pillows (all three of them) were about an inch thick. Mattresss sagged. Empty shampoo bottle left on top of the shower stall was so faded I can't imagine how long it had been there. Side door to the pool did not open, so you had to walk along the street (in your bathing suit) to get into the pool area. Thought my eyes were failing before realizing the TV would go out of focus now and then. Contintental breakfast was at 7:00; however, at 7:30 orange juice (luke warm) was just being put out and although there was a waffle maker and toaster, they were "out" of butter.

• Liked — Nothing - it was a dump!
  • Disliked — Everything - it was a dump!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
TL_Spearfish, Owner / GM at The Crow Peak Lodge, responded to this review, June 13, 2009
CDMN, thank you for your review. The awful carpeted decking you mentioned has been replaced soon after you had stayed with us in 2007 and I can’t tell you how happy I am that it is gone and how nice the new decking looks.

The rooms as you described them reflect poor housekeeping and poor management of the housekeepers. No, I wouldn’t want to stay in the room you had described either! We have overhauled our housekeeping process since your stay with us and it has made a significant difference in housekeeping standards, how fast we address room maintenance issues, and overall customer satisfaction with our rooms.

Televisions can go on the fritz at any hotel property so we encourage our guests to report any issues such as this to us. Reporting them allows us to do our best to fix the situation promptly. A hotel - any hotel for that matter - receives no benefit from having something in need of repair in a room. CDMN, we apologize for the breakfast at the time not being what you had expected. We believe our Bear Bites breakfast has improved since your 2007 stay with us, and hope that next time you are in Spearfish, you will choose to stay with us again and we can prove this to you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 9, 2007

My first thought was "This place was a dump." The only redeeming quality was the size of the rooms and the price. Everything else was pretty awful. The place seemed to not have been cleaned; there was a can under a bed and I actually found a toenail on the floor in the bathroom. If I'd had planned on staying one more night, or had I had my children with me, I'd have been outta there! But, it was somewhere to hang my hat for two days so I waited it out. The pool had a bag from Burger King floating in it for most of the day and the hot tub was non-existant. It looked some some kind of swamp in it anyway, and besides there was a part needed which didn't show up the two days I stayed. That would've been a nice respite. The game room and the pool floors are pretty rough concrete. Overall, this place could use a lot of updating and an even better cleaning.

• Stayed May 2007
Reesav, I appreciate you taking the time for your candid review. The housekeeping standards you mention in your review would not impress anyone, and I am happy to say that our housekeeping process has added some accountability standards since you had stayed with us back in 2007. Our swimming pool is being renovated and you can expect that the pool and hot tub cleaning standards you experienced in 2007 will be very different once the renovation is complete. We are doing the renovations you had recommended in your review and hope you will stop by next time you are in town and see how far we have come!

Travelers are raving about these Spearfish hotels

Vermillion, SD
Reviewed April 16, 2007

This hotel is in a residential part of Spearfish, not far from the Black Hills university. I went there in March to attend my son's basketball tournament. This is not your standard motel. There are a few different buildings and plenty of parking. The main building of the hotel seems to be designed to be like a ski lodge or Swiss alpine house, but it fits in better than it sounds. The continental breakfast was pretty standard but had hot waffles. There is wireless internet. The room we had was clean and large compared to other motel rooms we have had in past visits to the Black Hills. There was a hot tub and an indoor swimming pool which was closed. The hotel had a game room with billiards and ping pong that was open all the time, and my kids enjoyed this. Also, Spearfish is a great town to stay.

• Liked — Helpful front desk, large clean rooms
  • Disliked — Hard to find, pool was closed in winter
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you very much for your review. We are happy that you like the location of our property, Mr. Weigold, and we are the closest franchised hotel property to the Black Hills State University, a short distance away. We are working hard to give our guests a comfortable stay at a reasonable price. Although our room sizes vary, we often hear that many of our rooms are larger than many other hotels in the area. I believe that if you come and stay with us again, you will see how far we have come since you stayed with us last.
Naperville
Reviewed August 14, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Travelodge during the 2006 Sturgis Bike Rally. I cannot say enough positive things about this motel. It was quiet (even during Bike Week!) and conveniently located to downtown Spearfish (we could leave the bike at the motel and walk into town for dinner at several very good restaurants - Bay Leaf and Roma's). The free breakfast was nice and the internet access provided a way to check weather, future hotel bookings, etc. The pool and hot tub were in fine condition and welcome after a long day on the bike. The room was simple but clean and the on-site laundry facilities provided a very convenient way of washing our clothes while sitting in the hot tub enjoying a beer (also sold at the motel). We had a terrific time at the Rally, but this motel was the icing on the cake.

Stayed August 2006
Mooretuba, thank you for your review of our property, and it is good to get your feedback. We really enjoy the Sturgis Rally guests we get each year (for a week in early August), and have many return guests. Some of our Rally guests have been staying with this property annually for Rally week for nearly twenty years, long before this property was a Travelodge!

Mooretuba, we hope that you will choose to stay with us at Rally week, or any time you are in Spearfish.
Hilliard, OH
Reviewed July 31, 2005

I had a hard time finding a place to stay in Spearfish a few weeks ago. We ended up at the Travelodge and I was really surprised what a nice place it turned out to be. We had a room with 2 queen beds. The room was very large with a microwave and fridge. The motel is off the beaten path so it was very quiet at night. The pool is a really nice size and there is also a hot tub. Laundry facilites are available too. Continental breakfast is available in the morning, but it was very bare bones.

• Stayed July 2005
1 Thank Annliz
Annaliz, we are happy to get your review, and enjoy reading your feedback about our property. Although your review predates my association with the hotel, we do believe the Travelodge of Spearfish is a better place to stay now than when you stayed with here in 2005. We invite you back to see how our property has changed for the better!
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 2, 2005

The motel has several component units spread about in an unusual fashion. Located off the main street-- and a bit hard to find -- the location is quiet. There was no saw operating in midweek during my stay, unlike another reviewer's comment. I will stay there again.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for your review. I also agree that I would want to stay somewhere else based on what you had described back in early 2005. I am happy to say that the Travelodge of Spearfish has improved a great deal since you visited us, and hope we can entice you to return and see how far we have come!
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed August 11, 2004

This place was awful. It smelled bad. The beds were long overdue for replacement. The windows were badly in need of maintenance. The whirlpool was half-full and looked like a science experiment gone awry. There was also an electrical cord laying in a puddle in the pool area.

1 Thank Mike1000east
Thank you for your review. I also think that I would want to stay somewhere else based on what you had described back in 2004. I am happy to say that our property has improved a great deal since you visited us, and hope we can entice you to return and see how far we have come!