“Pleasant Stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Spearfish
Edgerton, Minnesota
“Pleasant Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This was the second year in a row staying here.. We stayed 4 nights. Our room was clean, the carpet was clean, bathroom clean. Some of the towels were newer and thicker and whiter, some were older and not as white, but clean. The grounds were neat and clean. Frontdesk gal was friendly at checkin. We did not encounter any problems, so we did not have to contact the frontdesk at all after checkin.
Will stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
TL_Spearfish, General Manager at The Crow Peak Lodge, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
GloriaF43030, thank you for taking the time to write a review here on TripAdvisor. We are delighted your stay was a great one and we will work hard to ensure future stays are as nice as the one you wrote about in your review.

As you have noted, we take pride in our rooms, and we aim to exceed the standards of every guest. We understand that guests have a choice, and we offer a quiet stay with good beds in a clean room at a reasonable price. All of our towels are laundered to stringent standards and regularly inspected for wear. Therefore we are constantly replacing guest towels as the reach the end of their useful life.

Christopher Harris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Brush Creek, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed at this property on August 13,2012 this was the day after Sturgis we used our Rewards points 6000 we don't know what the room price was not $300.00 a night. We stay at a different motel everynight this was a very nice motel close to Deadwood. If you stayed in a motel everynight you would find that this is a very quite and friendly place. We are truck drivers and delivered a truck to Williston, ND. I don't know why anyone would not think this is not a nice motel.The beds are great and it's hard to find a place with good beds. The only things I found wrong was I wanted to get in the hot tub and get some ice but someone had locked the door and no one could get in the room. We tried to book a room the next night by calling them but no one answered the phone mind you it was late because we could not find a room anywhere we had to drive all night and finally got a room at a casino on I-29 so people don't be so quickly to judge just be happy you found a nice place to stay. Next time we are in the area we will stay at this nice place and I will call early.

Room Tip: Call earley.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to write a review here on TripAdvisor, Jnitablair. All of us at the Travelodge are delighted your stay was a great one and we will work hard to make future stays as nice as the one you wrote about in your review.

We agree that our hotel is both quiet and friendly, and in a nice part of town near parks and the Spearfish Creek. Our beds are new pillow top beds that far exceed the Travelodge brand standard.

The ice machine is located in the laundry hot tub area. We keep the door closed to the area since our laundry prices are lower than the neighborhood laundromat and we had a number of local people coming to use our machines. We prefer to limit their use to our guests so the room can be opened with the valid keycard from one of our rooms. We apologize for not explaining this to you upon your check-in.

We do encourage you to book early, particularly for our busiest times. We look forward to your return and if you book directly with our property, please ask for me - I will make sure you get the nicest room available.

Oceanside, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed here for 4 days during Sturgis bike week. First off they will rip you off at every chance they can. The room was almost $300 a night during bike week for a room that would be $59 any other time. The staff at the front desk was not very friendly and certainly not customer helpful. We asked for an extra bar of soap and almost had to beg for it. The crabby lady asked if there was non left in the room by the cleaning people. Hey, for $300 a night extra soap should not be an issue.

The room was small and in a dark corner. It was not the cleanest looking and the bedspread had stains on it. The carpet was also soiled and not very clean. The shower did not drain and you had to stand in the dirty scummy water while showering. Generally this place really needs some attention. The only good thing that I can say is the bed was new and very comfortable. Don't be fooled by the pictures. There is NO pool at this hotel. The pool was covered by a wood deck which did not have any tables or chairs to sit on. The Wi-Fi was basically non functional. It was so slow and the signal strength so week that it was useless. The contential breakfast was OK, but certainly nothing to brag about.

I would not stay here again and would not recommend this to others. I'm sure you can do much better at other hotels in town. I would not stay at this hotel even at non bike week prices!

Room Tip: Get a room in the annex with the laundry machines. This is the newer building and the rooms were lar...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael M
Thank you for taking the time to write a review here on TripAdvisor, Michael M. We are sorry to hear your stay was not up to your standards in early August.

We take room maintenance seriously. We investigated your room (room 108) upon reading your review, and unfortunately we could not validate many of the things you had claimed. The free Wi-Fi internet speed was fine, the carpet did not have any stains, and the shower drain drained as it should. We could not verify the bedspread as too much time had passed and we change them frequently, but the bedspread was clean when we visited the room. Despite your interaction with our front desk staff, we did not hear any dissatisfaction about your room during your stay, and therefore we had no chance to make things better while you were there. Room 108, a single non-smoking queen, is tucked away from the main parking lot, and many of our guests like the additional privacy that it offers.

You had booked for 3 nights using an online travel agency. Soon after your arrival, you added a 4th night directly with us. We gave you a discount for the additional night, so the room rates you described are not entirely accurate. However, the Sturgis Rally is a busy week for all hotels within 100 miles of Sturgis. We would suggest you investigate Wyndham Rewards and using the points that it provides for a free stay. You can get a free night for as few as 6000 points, which many of our guests find is a great bargain.

We are not sure which website you visited that indicated that we had a pool, but we have made no claim to have one since 2009. However, in addition to a new laundry room, we do have a 8-person hot tub and the large patio that you described. Our guests enjoy both of these, particularly in the summertime.

Once again, Michael M, we hope next time you are in Spearfish, we can earn your business again. Many of our guests are happy with their stay with us. Using Wyndham Rewards points and booking directly with us and booking early for the Sturgis rally (in early August) can help avoid the issues you had encountered.

If you have additional information to share about this stay or wish to discuss this with me further, you can email me at gm @ tlspearfish.com.

Christopher Harris

Travelers are raving about these Spearfish hotels

Grand Blanc, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

booked a room in june for sturgis rally on a monday for $249 a night for 2 nights got conformation on tuesday and was told the rates went up to $300 a night in witch they went into my bank account without authorization and took out $652.with no refunds.then we had 2 wyndam rewards nights.they screwed up the dates and had 2 day in between our 4 night stay with no rooms.it took 5 weeks to straighten out the problem.when it finall got fixed they went back in my bank account and took out another $72 for changing the dates without authorization.then they told us the would send us a $107 gift card for use on our way out there.never recieved it.on top of the rude woman that puts out the hard doughnuts and coffee in the morning.lose the $49 a night attitude when we're paying $300 a night.and the room smelled like burnt dog.grossley over priced and dirty,not only will we never stay there again we will never stay in another travel lodge ever.i'll sleep in a ditch first.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kim K
Thank you for taking the time to write a review here on TripAdvisor, Kim K. We are sorry to hear your stay was not as expected.

Your main claim has to do with the costs during the most expensive time to stay in the Black Hills - the Sturgis Rally. I have investigated your reservation further and found that you had made it through an online travel agency and not directly with our property. Later (but prior to your arrival) you called our hotel to request an upgrade to your room type, requesting a room with 2 beds vs. the 1 bed you had booked online. We found one was available for those dates and clearly explained there would be a difference of $72 for all of your nights prior to making the change. The gentleman who we spoke with agreed to the increase. We wish to reiterate that do not charge guests without their authorization.

The Wyndham Rewards redemption involves the Wyndham Company and not our property (we are a franchisee). While we are aware that guests view all aspects of their stay as a single event, it frequently involves different parties. This is particularly true of the booking process as there are many different agencies we cooperate with. We try to do our best to ensure the process is as seamless as possible, but unless a guest books directly with our property, our influence on the guest booking experience is limited. This $652 withdrawal was not done by our property; all third-party agencies are required to get your permission before making the booking - usually where you agree to the terms and conditions.

When you booked using Wyndham Rewards, I recall we were also on the phone working with you and Wyndham multiple times to ensure the rooms were available during the dates you had requested. In the end, we were successful. The $107 voucher comes directly from Wyndham and we were unaware of that until we saw it in your review.

Actually, using Wyndham Rewards for a stay with us, particularly during the Sturgis Rally, provides an excellent value. For 6000 points, you can get a free night's stay during that peak time. Just under 50% of our guests redeemed Wyndham Rewards points during the rally this year, Many of our returning guests remarked about the excellent value it provided for them to enjoy the rally experience! We are just 20 minutes down the road from Sturgis, we are walking distance from many bars and restaurants in Spearfish (no driving needed), and most rooms allow parking right in front of the room.

I do apologize for the surly attitude of our morning front desk clerk. Regardless if you are paying $300 or $3 per night, our guests should be made to feel welcome here. This is reiterated to our employees on a regular basis. We have reminded that particular employee that her service to our guests is paramount.

Once again, Kim K, we hope next time you are in Spearfish, we can earn your business back. Many guests are happy with their stay here. Booking directly with us and booking early for the Sturgis rally in early August can help avoid the issues you had encountered.

GM
Cabool, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I had booked this room 11 months in advance, using Wyndham Rewards points, and based upon reviews. Upon arriving on July 7th 2012, the Clerk either begrudged me a free room or just didn't want to be bothered, and was very rude when I asked for a copy of our stay, saying that I didn't need one. I explained that I would like something to show that I had stayed, and she huffed and finally made me a copy of our check-in receipt. Breakfast was not until 7 Am, and knowing that we would be gone by then, I asked for a couple of extra coffee bags for our room, and that set her off again, she finally went to the back and came back with 1 coffee bag.

I finally got checked in, and when we got to our room, I pulled the covers down (the 1st thing that I always do), there was black hair on all of the pillows and sheets, so I contacted the clerk and she said that we would have to change rooms, and she couldn't give us a king room, like I had booked. She assigned us a room in a little side building, the bed looked clean, but there were spiders in the tub.

Not a good experience, so when I arrived home, I call Wyndham, and they said my concerns would be forwarded to Spearfish Travelodge, and they would contact me within 3 days, but guess what, no contact. Would not stay there again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank motraveler50
TL_Spearfish, General Manager at The Crow Peak Lodge, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
I can understand how you had looked forward to your stay with us, motraveler50, based on booking your stay 11 months in advance. A vast majority of Wyndham Rewards members redeeming their points at our Travelodge are quite happy with their rooms during their stay. Since only 6000 points are required per night - even during the busy times such as the Sturgis Rally. This low redemption makes our property even more appealing to guests.

We had offered to have a housekeeper come to change the sheets in your old room, but you insisted on a new room immediately, which we tried to accommodate. Unfortunately we did not have another non-smoking king available, so we offered you a room with two queen beds,.

You mentioned nobody contacted you about your room. Less than 30 minutes after your move, I personally called and asked if your new room was satisfactory and you replied that it was. You did not indicate any spiders, any rude behavior by the front desk clerk, nor any issues with receipts or receiving extra coffee. Regarding your specific issues raised in your review, unless you booked your stay through a third-party agency such as Expedia or Travelocity, we are able to provide a receipt for your stay. We are happy to provide extra coffee is available at the front desk during our office hours.

Although I did contact you while you were on our property after your move ,I did hear about your interaction with our front desk clerk from Wyndham. Within two business days, I left a message for you on the phone number you provided, but the call was not returned. Motraveler50, we take all incidents such as this seriously and look at how we can improve when we mess up.

There are two sides to every interaction, but based on your words, I have reminded all of our front desk clerks how to address such situations in the future. We understand most of our travelers have been on the road all day, and just want a comfortable place to rest. It is our goal to provide this to our guests. We hope you will consider giving us another chance next time you are in Spearfish, since we believe you will see that your experience was not typical of most of our guests.
Eagle, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We stayed here two nights. The first night we found that they sold the room I had reserved one month in advance so we were put in another room. Not a problem except the new room was not cleaned very well. The next morning we left them a note regarding the problems; dirty toilet, not vaccuumed, no hand towels, no cups for coffee, not cups for water, no Kleenex. I could go on but you get the idea. So we get back to our room after being out all day and you would think they would have scrubbed it down but no still a dirty toilet, still no Kleenex, still not vaccuumed. REALLY!

• Stayed June 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
TL_Spearfish, Manager at The Crow Peak Lodge, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank you for submitting your review on your stay at our property, Japotter. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us your perspective. We apologize that the room you received was not cleaned to your expectations, and I take personal responsibility for that error. In early June of this year, we had a team of new housekeepers all start at once. This is different from our typical staggered hiring approach. That being said, we know our guests expect a certain standard of room service to be maintained, and we have established procedures in place to keep this standard high. We will revisit those standards with our new housekeepers to ensure that all guests are able to return to the clean, comfortable room they expect.

We appreciate this helpful feedback on your stay and hope to continue to earn your business next time you are in Spearfish.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I stayed here because I was in town to run the Leading Ladies marathon. The room was clean and comfortable. The front desk staff were very friendly---when I had trouble connecting to the wifi, they re-set the modem (upon my suggestion) and it worked! They also were accomodating with a late check out the day of the race and took time to ask how it went. The breakfast selection was pretty varied---donuts, pastries, bagels, cereals, oatmeal. All the carbs I could have wanted! The location was also perfect---near downtown, near the race finish where I had to park in the morning, not too far from town so I could go stock up on gatorade, etc.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you very much for your review, Charli L. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about our property. We use this information to improve our property and to continue to do the types of things that our guests appreciate.

We know that our guests come to Spearfish for various reasons; if we know about your needs in advance, we try our best to accommodate them. We are glad that in your case, we could help make your pre- and post-run experience a good one. Our new hot tub is nearly complete, so there will be a great way to relax those muscles after a good run during your next stay.

We welcome you back next time you are in Spearfish. Please don't hesitate to let us know what we can do to make your next stay as good as your stay with us in early May!