“Staff with training issues” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Spearfish

You added Hampton Inn Spearfish to your Saves list
Hampton Inn Spearfish
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   240 N 27th St, I-90 and 1st Ave (NE side), Spearfish, SD 57783 (Formerly Comfort Suites Spearfish)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
STOP CLICKING AROUND
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Spearfish
Ankeny, Iowa
“Staff with training issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

This hotel was clean and quiet. When we went to check we waited 10 min for someone to come to the counter to wait on us, we had reserved the room for one night but had decided that we wouldlike to stay 2. When I asked the clerk if we would be able to get the second night she told me that they were full, but if I wanted to check another hotel she would cancel our reservation, but when I arranged for another hotel and wanted her to give me verification that the room was cancelled she said it was her 2nd day and she didnt want to do that. She tried for quite awhile to get ahold of a manager and when she finally did I was furious at the fact that they had left this young clerk alone without the proper training to know what she could approve and she couldn't. She in turn was upset too. To make a long story short I spoke with the manager and he agreed to accomodate my family for both nights if I agreed to stay with them and cancel the arrangements I had made elsewhere. The other was going to cost me 75.00 more a night so I agreed. The next morning housekeeping appeared at our door at 8:00 in the morning, and we had to advise them that yes we would be acquiring there service but would prefer to at least be dressed first. The hotel has some definate staffing issues that need to be resolved and some training that needs to take place. The also need to learn to communicate better between shifts so that they may know issues that are happening

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Recluse, Wyoming
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Here is my complaint to the Choice Hotels website,

Checked in about 7pm, our room number was 307. Went to dinner in Spearfish and returned to the hotel around 9pm +/-. When we turned down the bed for the night we noticed hairs in the bed sheets. Not just any hair but pubic hairs. To say the least we found it to be disgusting. We called the front desk and it took 30 to 40 minutes to get the bed sheets changed. We found the next morning that the coffee pot had not been cleaned and the grounds from the last guest were still in the filter basket. We also found a folded towel in the bathroom that looked like some blew their nose on it and left disgusting waste on it and put it back into service. For $125.00 ++ it was a major dissappointment and we will not be staying or refer anyone to this hotel. We didn't even get an apology over the bed sheet incident or an offer to move to another room etc. This room had not been cleaned and there appears to be a total lack of quality control or customer service in this hotel.
Really?????????????

Room Tip: You might want to check closely before you put your head on a pillow in this place.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank framarwyo
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

The wife and I spent two nights here and it met our needs perfectly. Price was right for what we got; bed comfortable and furniture was very comfortable. From here we visited Vore Buffalo Jump, Devils Tower and Deadwood.

Room was particularly quiet, not often the case these days.

Service was very good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Great customer service; beautiful and large rooms; excellent price, which included a semi-hot breakfast! We went during low season and were very spoiled, with free milk for our children at night, as we arrived very late and were also allowed a late check-out, free! Rooms were larger than usual standard rooms the same price! Really enjoyed our stay and front desk went out of their way to make us feel welcome!

• Stayed January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
luckyone109, Manager at Hampton Inn Spearfish, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your business and hope to see you back in the furture.
south dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

our family stayed here on a whim because they are the ONLY hotel in Spearfish with a waterslide:) The pool was warm, kids LOVED it, the waterslide is INSANE! It is too intense of a waterslide for any under five and difficult to get up to the top for anyone not in decent shape, but our family loved it(all of us except our 3 yr old). The front desk staff was soo overly kind to us, they gave us an amazing room at a very fair rate. There was oatmeal and coffee out all day, the breakfast was SUPERB! The Breakfast area had workers constantly cleaning and making sure we had everything we could desire. The whole place exuded class and cleanliness in a relaxing environment. Also we loved that after a few drinks that evening we were able to take the 2 minute walk across the field to get a delicious pizza at the pizza joint in Walmart.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are impecable!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank rapidmommy
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your business and hope to see you back in the future.
Sacramento, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

I don't understand the comments on here. We stayed 3 nights at the Comfort Suites in Spearfish this month. (SEPT. 2011) We could not have been more pleased with the service at this hotel. The front desk was more that helpful and courteous. The rooms were large and everything was extremely clean. The breakfast was large with many choices for a hot breakfast. I was concerned reading on here before we left and we found the Management totally upfront and honest on prices. We booked this way out so had an extremely good price. All a person has to do is print out their reservation from the computer and take that in. It was not necessary to even show my low price or paperwork. I'm so glad we were not influenced by other comments on here as our stay could not have been better. We travel a great deal as we are retired and can afford to stay any place.
I am giving this stay a 5 for a perfect rating!!!! This is a perfect location for the area.

Room Tip: All the rooms in this hotel seem to be large and extremely comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
luckyone109, Manager at Hampton Inn Spearfish, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I hope to see you on your next visit to the area.
Winnipeg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

We were passing through on our way home from Utah. The front desk person that evening seemed to think the breakfast bar opened at 7:00AM when all the signs indicated 6:00AM. As it turned out, the breakfast bar opened at 6:00AM. I went to 2 different drink machines at the hotel only to find out 3 of the 4 drinks I purchased were expired. 2 of the drinks were expired by more than 2 months. The breakfast bar is very basic. The shower should have had water balancing valves but clearly did not. The water turned freezing cold several times during my shower. I found the staff, in particular the evening and morning front desk, to be very indifferent to any questions. I guess this is what happens when you are the only hotel in town with rooms left. I can now understand why they have the Tripadvisor rating they do. One last point, the internet was very very slow.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank don38506
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your experience. I am sorry that you were dissapointed with the behavior and lack of concern regarding your situation. I am truly sorry that we failed to provide you with the very best. We have also made the appropriate changes to make sure all of the staff is trained with the correct information for the guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spearfish
BEST WESTERN Black Hills Lodge
Quality Inn
#9 of 15 in Spearfish
4.0 of 5 stars 125 reviews
SpringHill Suites Deadwood

Been to Hampton Inn Spearfish? Share your experiences!