“Great stop for kids”

D.C. Booth Historic National Fish Hatchery
Ranked #3 of 21 things to do in Spearfish
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had our grandkids with us and they thoroughly enjoyed the Fish Hatchery. There are some nice paths to follow, and a great picnic area, as well as places for family photos.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Have been to Spearfish several times and did not know about this place. What a great place to check out. So much history. The house and museum were very nice. The fish car that was replicated was top notch.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

While my husband fishes, I do not, so I wasn't sure how interested I would be in the hatchery. To my surprise, I could have spent the entire morning. First, we walked along the crystal clear steam and through the adjacent park before heading up the ramp to the hatchery. If you have coins, you can get a handful of fish food from the machines on the little bridge over the fish ponds to feed the fish or your can purchase food in the gift shop. We took the stairs down to the underwater veiwing tanks where some hefty-sized trout glided past. It seems that the early settlers didn't like the fish native to these waters and petitioned the government for help. This hatchery began raising and shipping trout across the USA via railway. Volunteers have restored one of these railcars used to transport the fish--and it is absolutely stunning with it's beautiful woodwork. Make sure you take time to talk with the volunteer in the railcar for an appreciation of the feat that was going on here. Two bronze sculptures adorn the beautifully kept grounds and the tour of the Booth house, a mansion in it's day, brought back memories of my uncle's home when I was growing up. Wish we would have had the time to check out the museum, too.

1  Thank Phyllis F
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is an eclectic museum with things that would be interest to a smaller minority of the population. Still, a nice presentation on something very important to the Black Hills & Yellowstone. Kids (and adults) can feed the trout and ducks. It's free to go. Also, there's a park across the parking lot with a big play structure - so you can easily have a lunch right after visiting.

If it's a hot day, head over to Spearfish Rec and Aquatic Center and go for a swim!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

One of the wonderful surprises in Spearfish is the DC Booth National Fish Hatchery. The pools filled with large trout, the lovely sculptures, the museum and the gift shop made for a very pleasant visit, Coming from the Great Lakes, I was surprised to learn that the kind of boat used for commercial fishing on the lakes was modified for use on Yellowstone Lake. The Hatchery had not only a boat on display, but the railroad car used to transport live fish at the turn of the 20th century. So much to learn and appreciate and to ponder why politicians waste so much energy trying to destroy such programs.

1  Thank danfr44