“Best meal I have had in South Dakota”
Review of Bay Leaf Cafe

Bay Leaf Cafe
Ranked #4 of 56 Restaurants in Spearfish
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Locally owned restaurant with fresh, flavorful, locally produced food, sparkling clean, friendly, supporting the arts in a renovated historical building. Serving wine, beer, espresso, lunch and dinner, some outdoor dining during summer months. We have WiFi. Tell your server if you have specialty dietary needs... we happily accommodate.
Genesee, CO
“Best meal I have had in South Dakota”
Reviewed December 9, 2007

We stopped in Spearfish on our way back from North Dakota. I had heard about this place before, but unfortunately wasn't open on a Monday night the last time I was there.

This time we were there on a Saturday in October. We called to make reservations, but off-season they probably aren't necessary, as it was not full. Although I would imagine it is much busier in the Summer.

Our waiter was friendly and gave us both the regular menu as well as the "specials" for the night which were printed on a piece of paper. We didn't even make it to the main menu except for a quick glance, because the specials looked so good.

We started with the french onion soup and house salad, Good, but just typical.

The highlights were our main course. I ordered a pasta dish with morels (fresh picked locally) and veal scallopine in a cream sauce. This was very good. Only thing was the veal was just slightly tough, but the dish didn't even need the veal, the mushrooms and cream sauce were so good! And the pasta was cooked perfectly to just soak up the sauce, but still slightly al dente. I got every mushroom out of it, and most of the pasta, with a few pieces of veal left behind!

My partner's buffalo tenderloin was the star. Also local, fresh from a local ranch near spearfish. It was cooked a perfect medium rare, tender and flavorful!

They have a fairly small but adequate wine and beer list. No hard liquor. And a selection of tasty deserts from next door bakery.

I also was surprised at the price. We actually asked the waiter if these same prices could be expected in the summer, and he said "yes", except during sturgis (no surprise).

My pasta dish was around $14, and the buffalo tenderloin was $22 (I don't think we can get any decent buffalo tenderloin in Denver area for less than $32, and this was better than most I have had in Denver area).

Our overall bill was about $65 with a couple drinks each and a shared dessert.

Service was attentive and friendly.

Atmosphere is bistro-like in a small, quaint downtown building with warm colors. Although it was not busy when we were there, I can imagine that it can be a little bit close quarters, if full.

I will definitely make this a stop next time in spearfish/black hills area, this is the best dinner or any meal I have had in the area, having been there a few times.

Would recommend to anyone, and would especially recommend ordering off the nightly specials as these are built around the fresh, local ingredients they can get at that time of year.

1 Thank izzyblizzy

Tampa Bay, Florida
“What a little gem of a restaurant!”
Reviewed June 26, 2007

We were lucky enough to have both lunch and dinner at the Bay Leaf while hiking in the area. We were very impressed with the selection and quality of the menu as well as with the outstanding service. Lunch offerings include vegetarian friendly options such as my gazpacho soup and tabbouleh salad and meat options such as my companion's chicken sandwich and side salad. Although lunch was wonderful (and the gazpacho FANTASTIC!), dinner was our favorite meal- pan seared trout with roasted veggies and cajun pasta with shrimp and andoulle sausage. A nice little wine and dessert menu was an added bonus (although we passed on dessert, everything sounded great). Bypass the boring chain restaurants and enjoy local artist's work and great food at the Bay Leaf!

1 Thank matzahballsoup
Goose Creek, South Carolina
“Excellent restaurant just off Main St”
Reviewed September 29, 2006

Take the time to find this restaurant, as it is well worth it. The menu is large for such a small cafe, and it is chock full of good selections.
We ate here for lunch in Sept of 2006. We did not have a big appetite at the time, so we basically just ordered lunch items.
They have a full coffee bar, so I had a delicious mocha with my meal.
The wraps were fantastic, the soups were good, and my father loved his cheeseburger.
My chicken sandwich was juicy and delicious.
If the weather is good, there are also a few tables outside.
The dinner menu was full of steaks and seafood, so I wished we would have been in town for dinner!

4 Thank Erk_W