“Black Hills Gem”
Review of Spearfish Canyon

Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Spearfish
More attraction details
Owner description: This scenic 19-mile drive in the Black Hills that passes cliffs, waterfalls and the Spearfish Creek gives one the feeling they are in the rainforest.
Moline, Illinois
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Black Hills Gem”
Reviewed May 17, 2008

You have to take the senic drive down 14A thru Spearfish canyon. I wish I had been there at the right time of day to eat at the Latchstring Restaurant at Spearfish Lodge. It was settled in an awesome setting and I read online and saw on the Food Network that it was great!
The drive thru the canyon has many pull offs so you can get some good photos. The day we were there, in early May, we had a surprise snow storm that they even had to get the snow plow out to spray some sand on the road. We really enjoyed ourselves!

2 Thank Deeno14

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Accidental Tourist”
Reviewed December 1, 2007

Bored with Deadwood, saw the Presidents' Park and at a loose end until dinner, I saw a "Scenic Byway" on the map and decided to check it out. What a find! It just got better and better. We turned up the dirt track to Roughlock Falls and spent some time up there, and then carried on driving back to Deadwood via Spearfish town. We were kicking ourselves for not knowing about this before we booked our stay in Lead because there were some beautiful places to stay in the Canyon. Loved it!!

4 Thank megsnan
Goose Creek, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Worth a look!”
Reviewed September 29, 2006

I drove through Spearfish Canyon on my way from Devil's Tower and on my way to my Hill City hotel.
The canyon is a leisurly drive with great views.
Make a point to drive up the dirt road to Roughlock Falls. There is a great picnic area here if you pack a lunch. The top of the falls and the picnic area are less than a mile from the lodge at Savoy.

8 Thank Erk_W
A TripAdvisor Member
“Spearfish Heavenly”
Reviewed June 25, 2003

Green and lush with perfect weather--not too cold, not too hot. I enjoyed my overnight visit to Spearfish. Our family gathered from across the country in the City Park for a reunion. I fell in love with the people and environment and the college of Spearfish; I want to relocate. Everyone at the hotels, gas stations, grocery stores were fabulous. The air was clear; the trees beautiful. It was heavenly. I will find one of the old locally owned motels for my next visit so I could feel the spirit of "the old days of traveling to the Black Hills." It was only five hours from Sidney, Nebraska too.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member