New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #8 of 52 Hotels in Sioux Falls
Canfield, Ohio
“WOW -Great Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

What to say....GREAT PLACE!!!

Everything was wonderful! Service, rooms, location, activities around the place.

You can walk to the falls, would take about 15-20 min to get right to the edge of the falls. The downtown area is amazing - you can walk out the front of the hotel and into the best area I've ever seen in my travels. There are sculptures, flowers, outside eating areas, wine tastings, and boutiques – just such a friendly/inviting area. Sioux Falls is on my list of towns to come back to! And I will stay at this HI again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beachbum330
TomBosch, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sioux Falls - City Center, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
I was so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us recently. Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your experience. Sioux Falls is a wonderful community and we are so blessed as residents to be able to enjoy our downtown all the time.

We will look forward to seeing you again in the near future and again thank you for sharing your outstanding experience.

Tom Bosch,CHA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

This is the second time we've stayed at this hotel, mainly because it is VERY centrally located and close to friends who live in Sioux Falls. It's a short walk to everything downtown, even the falls. Lots of free parking. Clean, comfortable rooms have very few frills, but this is a Holiday Inn after all. It could have been a better value, but the extra $20 I paid to stay here I easily saved in cab fare to and from downtown. There is some construction going on in the hotel and we were warned when we checked in that we might hear crews after 9am, but we didn't hear a peep. The next time we visit, we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Basic...but comfortable and clean
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank shawnathan
Fremont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Not worth the money! We stayed July 15th. 5th floor. Staff was grumpy. No coffee in the room for the morning. One lamp was broken, light bulb hanging out of the socket with bare wires. Tub and bathroom was dirty. Light switches and walls dirty. Waited 5 minutes every time we needed to use the elevators. Got tired of waiting for elevators so we walked down 5 flights once. Found ourselves OUTSIDE! Had to walk halfway around building to get back in. Would have liked to send an E-mail directly to the Centre but no way to do that on the website. Never again. DaVal Johnson

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank crosswired
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the feedback regarding your recent stay with us in Sioux Falls. I am so sorry that we let you down and you were disappointed with your stay with us recently. Our goal is to provide outstanding service to each and every guests and it is evident by your comments that we failed to deliver. As part of your feedback you stated that you had tried to find a way on our website to send an email. Our Holiday Inn website does offer an opportunity to contact us directly if you would like and all emails come directly to my attention.

I would really appreciate if you would contact me directly at the hotel via email (Tom.Bosch@sfcchotel.com) or via phone at 605-339-2000 ext. 7417. It would be great to talk to you directly regarding your specific concerns.

Again thank you so much for providing your feedback and I am sorry your concerns. Please contact me at your convenience.

Port Jefferson, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

This hotel is in a great location. It is placed in the heart of Sioux Falls, allowing you to access shops, restaurants and bars by foot. They have a free shuttle from the airport, too. But that's all. They do not offer free breakfast. They do not offer free internet which is a must these days. They offer small and (very) outdated rooms which are clean but this not enough to claim the $140 per night! Hey, Sioux Falls is not Chicago neither Manhattan. Since they have their standard customers (pilots, flight crew, CEO's, etc) it seems they don't bother. I stayed on a Saturday night and from my room I could hear loud music due a college party taking place at the hotel. Based on previous reviews here at Tripadvisor this seems to be a weekly event in the hotel. So be aware that things may not be so calm on a Saturday night. Bottom line at 3 am, the same night, the fire alarm start ringing. Everybody had to evacuate! After the FD came and the alarm went off, we could go back to our rooms. The time was already 4 am....So you see how nice my night was... The next morning no apology from the front desk. Previous reviews complain that the front desk staff is "cold" and without a smile. I agree. When you talk to them they try to be helpful but they don't deliver this "welcome" or "I am happy to assist" feeling. Most important issue: When I booked the hotel from the HI page I requested a room far from the elevators. I got exactly the opposite and my room was next to elevators. You may think this is a detail, but in this word where competition is high, details matter... My advice: Please drop the price by half (at least)...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank grevo77
Baraboo, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stopped here while traveling to Rapid City and Yellowstone. The hotel was crowded and noisy. There were only three elevators which were always crowded and we had to wait several minutes to obtain one. We stayed here two nights. The second night there was a wedding and there were loud, drunk obnoxious people yelling and running up and down the hallway well after midnight. The rooms were small and so were the bathrooms and beds. Cleanliness was okay, although could've been better. The pool was also small and crowded and the hot tub did not look clean/had several kids in and out of it. The restaurant was nice and had great food, but the service was pretty slow. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank pamelab71
Minneapolis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel many times because my company puts me here. I do like the nearby shopping,however, there is something about this hotel that I just do not like. The rooms are a dated floorplan and many rooms have odd views of a concrete parking lot or an obstucted view of downtown. The lobby smells like chlorine from the open pool in THE HOLIDOME (which is a concept that needs to be put to rest). Somebody please rescue this hotel and tear it down.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank MichaelMinneapolis
TomBosch, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sioux Falls - City Center, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience 2 days ago regarding your stay with us back in January. We appreciate you staying with us many times as was noted on your review and apologize that you've had some issues with the hotels floor plan and your room location. We began a major renvoation two months ago and are investing 5.4 million dollars back into the hotel to make improvements. We appreciate your patience as we are working to improve the hotel. The hotel would be happy to reserve a room on a higher floor to give you a better view of the downtown area if that is what you desire.

I recently sent you an email to your Trip Advisor account and look forward to hearing from you directly to discuss your specific issues.

Again thank you so very much for taking the time to provide your feedback and we will continue to work on making improvements to the hotel.

mckick19
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

AVOID! We stayed here while it was being renovated. Paint chips everywhere and rolled up carpet remnants in the middle of the hallways. Our 'city view' balcony room (which we paid extra for) gave a 2nd floor view of the employee smoke break area and the parking area exit ramp. The HVAC system, for some reason unbeknownst to us, was set on a motion sensor. So in the middle of the night, it would cycle on and off, waffling from hot to cold. And it didn't do so quietly so we BOTH woke up all night. The front desk staff, when we talked to them to remedy the problem, called the maintenance man on speaker phone whose response was "whaddya want me to punch back in? I'm on break!". Ahem. The front desk girl was cold, apathetic, patronizing and dead behind the eyes, no follow up, no concern. The bartender had 3 guests having cocktails and was behaving like it was the middle of a dinner rush, she was curt, harried and snappy. Just not a happy group of people. My husband summed it up when he said "I don't think I saw one person smile in the entire building." On our way back through, we stayed at Clubhouse Hotel and Suites...OMG....night and day. And it was cheaper!! I have reviewed that as well, do yourself a favor and stay there instead!

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DaveMonica
Thank you so much for taking the time to express your experience during your time with us in Sioux Falls. I am very sorry that our hotel didn't meet your needs and that your service experience was less than favorable. We are currently undergoing a 5.4 million dollar renvoation that will address many of the product issues that you encountered. I'm only sorry that this wasn't completed upon your stay with us recently. We pride ourselves in delivering excellent customer service and it was evident by your comments that you did not receive that in the lounge or front desk areas during your stay with us and I once again apologize for the experience.

I recently emailed your Trip Advisor Account so that we could visit directly regarding your issues and I look forward to talking with you soon regarding your experience. Again thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I look forward to visiting with you soon.

Cordially,