“Hopeful but Disappointed :(”

Best Western Plus Ramkota Hotel
Ranked #24 of 52 Hotels in Sioux Falls
Watertown, South Dakota
“Hopeful but Disappointed :(”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We booked this hotel through a priceline express deal. We were pleasantly surprised when we found out that we'd received the Ramkota because we have little kids who would love the pool and we've had friends and family that have enjoyed the hotel in the past.
The room was small, basic, clean. I did ask if there was a way to be upgraded to a poolside room and pay an upcharge. Sure, for $150 per night. We declined. ;) Our room was located on the outside edge of the huge hotel, very near an entrance, and not a far walk from the pool. It worked nicely.
The pool was okay. It felt closed in. My kids enjoyed the slides. There weren't t.v.'s, which would have been nice because it was spring break/ncaa tournament time.
The problem comes from the handling of the pool situation. We lived in Sioux Falls a few years ago, and come to visit periodically to see friends, shop, and give the kids a chance to swim. We always stay at the Ramada-near the Arena/convention center. We stay in a poolside room/suite, our friends come to visit and buy wristbands for their kids. We buy food and drinks from the poolside bar/grill & we have a great relaxing time. We were hoping that our experience would be as pleasant here. However, at check-in, we were informed that we would receive 5 writstbands total and that was it...we could not purchase any more. Disappointed, we called one set of friends to let them know of this restriction. The other set of friends only have one child, so we offered her our additional wristband and I gave my wristband to the other dad, and opted not to swim. Myself and the other mom sat and visited and watched the kids swim. About an hour after they arrived, I got on my phone to order pizza for our group. A pool guard came over and interrupted my phone call, and asked me where my wristband was. I informed him that I didn't have one. He asked me to leave. When I expressed that I was on the phone ordering pizza, and that we were gathering things up to be out of the pool in a few minutes, he continued to stand over me and insisted that I leave immediately because, "i was taking up chairs." We knew another group that was staying there(from our hometown) at the same time. One of the dads came to visit to watch the kids swim, but was not swimming because he was not staying the night (he was in street clothes). The security guard also approached him & gave him 30 minutes max in the pool area, "as a courtesy."
Needless, to say, I won't be staying here again....on purpose. If I happen to get another Express Deal, I will know what to expect. However, I'll keep my fairly-regular business (3-4x/yr) with the Ramada because we prefer the atmosphere and opportunity that it allows to entertain friends.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 30toosoon
Jan G, General Manager at Best Western Plus Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for your comments; first and foremost I do apologize . I will address this situation with the security supervisor.

As for the wrist bands, we do provide 6 per room. The Ramada you used as a comparison physical layout and fenced area allows them this option. For us it's about managing the space so everyone paying for a room can have a great experience.

In May our beautiful outdoor pool opens for more options as well; I do hope you will return so we can turn a negative into a positive.

Again I do apologize we did not meet your expectations.

Jan Grunewaldt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Sioux City, Iowa
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Very clean, great pool area. Front feel staff were outstanding. The bar had great drinks at a good price and the restaurants food was terrific.
Booked it online using our government rate and really saved a ton. Would gladly come back here again when in town.
Great value!!

• Stayed March 2013
Jan G, General Manager at Best Western Plus Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you so much for the great comments; we're thrilled you and your family had a wonderful time. At end of May our beautiful outdoor pool opens too, triple the fun!

Fernley, Nevada
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The bathroom was very small, the door almost hit the toilet, and the tile was cracked and seemed old. The room was nice and spaceous but the doors could be replaced, they looked like they were painted ten times, they didnt shut all the way and they did not keep the hall way noise down. The big perk was the pool for us, but they should heat the hall ways, the pool area is warm, the water warm but having to walk back to your room was miserable with two small kids as it was freezing!! Also check out is at 11, and by 9 we had housekeeping knocking on our door, which is very annoying, and i think rude. If check out is at 11, give us till 11 before you come bugging us. There should be a way to tell who has checked out for them to clean rooms so their not knocking on every door. The restaurant was nice, but for the price of the rooms it would be nice to have breakfast included. For the buffet on Sat for two adults and two kids it was only $17 but complimentary breakfast would make me want to stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jan G, General Manager at Best Western Plus Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you for your feedback; hearing from our guests is the best way to measure our success. We are making constant improvements and the doors mentioned are being addressed. We do try to compensate for being full service with the complimentary coffee in the lobby along with complimentary whole fresh fruit; coffee is on us in our restaurant and kids eating for .99. Glad you enjoyed the pool area. We do hope to see you again, I am sure our team can turn the negatives into positives.

Watertown, South Dakota, United States
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We went to Sioux Falls to pick up our family from the plane. The plane didn't come in until 10:30 and we had planned on going back to Watertown afterwards. However, the interstate was very snow packed and slippery so we didn't want to drive back in that so late so at the last minute we are making reservations. Everyone was so helpful - they gave us connecting rooms and it was a very pleasant experience. This was on Valentine's Day and we were so pleased with the way things were handled that we made reservations for tonight - President's Day. They again made sure we had connecting rooms and were near the pool so my 90 year old mother could watch the kids swim. Anytime I need to stay in Sioux Falls, this would be my first choice because of the hospitality we received. Thanks!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jan G, General Manager at Best Western Plus Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your nice note; we're thrilled we could partner in turning a negative into a positive. Thank you for selecting us on your 'spur of the moment' decision. We're so grateful.

Best Wishes,

rushmore, mn
Reviewed January 23, 2013

i recently stayed at this hotel for my kid's 3rd birthday hoping it would be nice bcs of the "water park". that was the only decent thing about this hotel.
the room was dirty upon arrival and 1st look. stuff on the floor was noticeable as soon as the door opened, how it passed inspection I'll never know. there were left over toys from someone else's stay.
there was a brown substance dried onto the door frame right next to the light switch in the bathroom.
the toilet ran for 45 minutes after it flushed (WHEN it flushed) reported issues to the front desk and they hang up on you WHILE you're talking. the toilet decided it wasn't going to work for 3/4 of the stay and the maintenance ppl DID not fix it.
we were not offered a different room or anything to fix the problems we were having.

i was very disappointed and will never return. i am also telling every one i know NOT to ever stay here!

Room Tip: pick a different hotel for a good room! :)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jan G, General Manager at Best Western Plus Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you so much for making us aware of your situation. We are very embarrassed and assure you this is not the norm. It has been addressed with all the relevant departments. If you check the message I sent on our brand guest survey website, I did refund your entire stay. I really hope we will have an opportunity in the future to turn this negitvie into a positive.

Travelers are raving about these Sioux Falls hotels

Beresford, South Dakota, USA
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Staff was very pleasant and helpful. Pool area is great for kids, they really enjoyed the slide! Would recommend to any parent of a younger child that will want to use the large waterslide to bring a life jacket as the current of water that comes down the slide is pretty strong and the younger ones struggled with it, parents generally just waited at the bottom to catch their kids. Bigger kids didn't have any problem. Did have a great second pool area that is great for little kids with small slides and play areas. Breakfast buffet was worth the price, excellent food for the money, however could use a second waffle station as it was pretty backed up a couple of times. Room was clean and comfortable. Only real complaint is that hallways are pretty cold, especially when you come out of the hot and humid pool area. I imagine it was worse because it is winter but it seemed to have little climate control. Overall we really enjoyed our stay at the hotel!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jan G, General Manager at Best Western Plus Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
WOW! Thank you so much for the wonderful comments; nothing feels better than to know we did our job well! Our team really appreciates the feedback.

Hope to see you again soon; after May 31 our lovely outdoor pool opens too, 3 times the fun!

Best Regards,

Quality Inn And Suites
Quality Inn And Suites
#27 of 52 in Sioux Falls
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Sioux Falls - Brandon

Been to Best Western Plus Ramkota Hotel? Share your experiences!