“Doesn't live up to rating”

Sioux Falls ClubHouse Hotel & Suites
Ranked #9 of 53 Hotels in Sioux Falls
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I'm not really sure why this hotel is rated so highly, but I think it is because Sioux Falls lacks any other hotel above a Hampton-level place in this area of town. I chose this hotel because of the location, and I actually stayed here once before about two years. I remember it being better than it actually was.

If you like to sleep on a pile of bricks, this hotel will be perfect for you. Hardest mattress I have ever slept on. And to add to the quality sleep, a bunch of cheap foam pillows that were not comfortable either.

Breakfast is ok, but no better or worse than any other free hotel breakfast.

I would say location is the only reason to choose this hotel. Staff seemed friendly, but everyone seems that way in Sioux Falls to me. I will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank acehigh212
clubsf, General Manager at Sioux Falls ClubHouse Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

I would like to thank you for sharing your views with your recent stay with us. I am glad you chose to stay with us but very sorry your stay was less than satisfactory and I apologize that our bedding is not to your liking. Thank you for the nice mention of the friendliness of the staff-Our goal is to provide each guest with an "I Just Have to Stay Here again" experience and I am sorry we did not live up to those standards in your case. I do hope you had a nice visit while in Sioux Falls.
We do hope to see you again!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

The location of this hotel lends itself to a quiet stay. The back of the hotel butts up to a river, a walking path and a golf course and one side is also pretty isolated. I've stayed at some other hotels in the mall area and this is a solid choice if you are willing to spend the same or a little bit more. The guests are of a higher caliber if you know what I mean?

One in our family uses a wheelchair so accessibility is a major concern during our stay. We had a 2-bed queen accessible room. There seemed to be enough room to make turns but transfers to the bed were tough because there is only one space that is big enough. The beds are on platforms so a hoyer is impossible to use, much less maneuver. The bed height seemed ok but if you wanted to add risers, you can't because of the platform style of the bed. (This is why a lot of hotels are now going to a more traditional bed frame in accessible rooms.)

The bathroom was a nice size for an able-bodied person. (Although there was a lack of counter space.) Wheelchair users will have a very difficult time in the bathroom we were in. There is no transfer space to the toilet, the small sink is right up against the wall so you can only use one arm with full mobility. We had a tub shower combo that was well equipped for a person of higher mobility. (They also have roll-in shower option rooms too.) The temperature controls in the room were very difficult to access/view. I think that about wraps it up for the wheelchair-centric part of the review. Oh, we did notice the elevator seemed super slow to arrive when called but that is always the case when only one is servicing a hotel.

The breakfast is similar to any other hotel's free morning offerings. Waffles, yogurt, cereal, coffee etc. Decor is nice, decent tv's and the beds were comfortable.

Room Tip: As with any hotel with a pool, beware of rooms near the pool if you aren't going to use it.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your views on your recent stay with us. We appreciate knowing how your stay was. I would also like to thank you for the great tips on how we can improve the stay for those in a wheelchair. I will check on each item you have mentioned. I appreciate the helpful suggestions.
We hope you choose to stay with us again

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the club house on the 24th of August. My husband had stayed there before on business and we had heard from friend that it was fabulous. While our one room suite had wonderful space, it wasn't the cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in. The bedroom floor had not been vacuumed recently and a previous occupant had spilled powder on the bathroom door and no one thought to wipe it off or clean it up. The headboard above the bed had not been dusted in many weeks as the wood was grey instead of brown. Because of the way that the room is configured, the desk chair was wedged in an alcove so that every time you wanted to swivel and move around, the arms of the chair would hit the desk and cut up the arms of the chair. It was a very comfortable chair but look old and abused. The bed was comfortable and the blackout shades worked well. We enjoyed being able to go to the attached restaurant for dinner without having to walk outside. For winter get-aways this is a great feature but I will think twice before returning because I want a room that is clean.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

I would like to personally thank you for sharing your past experience with us. Our goal is to provide each and every guest with a comfortable and pleasurable stay and hearing directly from our guests let's us know if we are achieving our goal. I am so sorry to hear of the cleanliness issue with your room on your most recent stay. I take full responsbility and have shared your comments with the staff. Please accept my apology-I do hope you had a pleasant visit while in Sioux Falls and I am sorry that your stay with us was not a part of that experience. I do hope you give us another opportunity and choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at clubhouse hotel on a few occasions so I thought for our 8th wedding anniversary why not stay here. I booked the date night package because you got a gift card to this great steakhouse called Foley's which is a few blocks away. When we went to check in they had told us that they upgraded our room for us and that the woman at the front desk said she needed to give us directions on how to run a few things in the room. All I could say to my husband when we opened the door to our room was holy s@?$! This was the hotels finest suite that normally costs $550 a night and we were in it for the night! They also provided transportation for us to and from dinner and would take us anywhere in Sioux Falls that we wanted to go. Each time that we have stayed here we have always had exceptional service and this time was no different! The breakfast in the morning is outstanding and there is something for everyone. All of the employees are wonderful and friendly! If you are ever passing through Sioux Falls make it a point to check to see if they have any rooms, you will not be disappointed!!!

Room Tip: Every room is a good room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angie G
clubsf, General Manager at Sioux Falls ClubHouse Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments on your recent stay with us. It is thrilling to know when we have provided an unforgettable experience. I am happy you were able to experience our suite-I do hope it made your anniversary even more special!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we look forward to seeing you back very soon!

Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is the second occasion we had the pleasure of staying at the Clubhouse Hotel. The experience remains consistent and the quality of service superb. They certainly earn their high ranking on trip advisor. The hotel is easy to find, the front desk is cordial, efficient and helpful. The bedding is comfortable and the beds are wonderful. The property is maintained spotlessly clean.

The complimentary breakfast is adequate for most and a sufficient start to the day.

Although they do not have a restaurant of their own, there is an associate attached to the property which I will mention in another review. The restaurant is delightful in its own right.

Keep in mind this is a very popular property, I recommend planning your travel in advance and making reservations. They do book out fully; especially on weekends in the summer. I know from experience as I was disappointed in not being able to book a room even a week in advance.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your past stays with us! Our goal is to provide each guest with an "I Just Have to Stay Here Again" experience and it is thrilling to see that you choose to stay with us while in Sioux Falls. I am glad to see that you also enjoyed Carinos Italian Restaurant-we have a wonderful relationship with them and I agree, their food and service is wonderful.
We look forward to seeing you back very soon!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

The basics are fine-clean, quiet, bed is fine and price is reasonable. But I find this hotel irritating. The bathroom lights are compact fluorescents that take several minutes to come to full brightness. Meanwhile, the fan is so loud I feel like I am in a dark airplane hanger. I went down to the workout room and the machine I wanted to use was next to the air conditioner that could not be turned off so it gave a cold wind on my head and shoulders. Once I started exercising it turned out the machine was broken so I had to quit. I then went for a walk on the nice bike/walking trail behind the hotel but there is no path to it so after walking in the tall grass my feet were soaking wet from the dew.

Nothing terrible-just bothersome

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent stay with us. Our goal is to provide a comfortable and pleasurable stay for everyone and I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations during your visit. I would like to thank you for making me aware and I will investigate each issue you experienced. I do hope you had a nice visit while in Sioux Falls and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

This was the first hotel of four that we were going to be staying in on our trip to the Black Hills. They currently only have six of these properties, none in Iowa where I live, but based on the reviews from Trip Advisor, I felt like this property was going to be the best value and fit for our family of four and I couldn't have been more right! This property is GORGEOUS, easy to find, secure, well-lit at night and quiet!! The room was perfect for us as it had two queen size beds in it and a pull-out sofa. There was also a very nice work desk, flat screen television and large bathroom. This property also had several packages available that coincided with either the zoo or the Wild West Water Park for those families that were interested and they seemed to be a good value as well. However because this was just a one night stop over after
driving for six hours, I opted not to do either one of those packages. However one neat thing that they do offer is a S'Mores kit that you can purchase for $8. The kit feeds four people (two s'mores a piece) and you get everything you need to make the s'mores over one of the fire pits on their outdoor patio. You just tell them when you are ready and then they come and get everything set up for you! My kids had a BLAST with this, as did I. Another neat option that we did not have time to take advantage of was the bicycle rentals that were available for use on the bike trail behind the hotel. The trail looks beautiful! I do not know if there was a fee to rent the bikes or not. The pool was also phenomenal, as it had a water slide and splash pad area and at it's deepest it was only 4ft which was perfect for my kids (even my 13 year old) who are not strong swimmers. They had so much fun and the hot tub was also great, both very clean and both great temperatures! The beds were wonderfully comfortable and the rooms were gloriously sound proof!
The breakfast was great, waffles, muffins, donuts, fresh fruit, cereal, granola bars, Special K bars, a variety of drinks and great coffee! You could either eat inside or outside on the patio! All of the staff from the front desk people to the breakfast ladies were just great! I could not be more pleased and I look forward to when our family has the pleasure of staying at one of these properties again!

• Stayed: August 2013

I would like to personally thank you for such wonderful comments on the hotel and the staff. We are so pleased that your overnight stay was so comfortable and pleasing for you and your family. Our goal is to offer packages and fun things to do for all ages. I am thrilled to see that you look forward to staying with us again and maybe you will have opportunity to enjoy the bikes on the trails. They are complimentary for our guests.
Thank you again for your wonderful comments-we look forward to seeing you very soon!