See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 22, 2011

We were on our last night of a 2 week road trip, and this Motel 6 sounded good for the price. We had spent a small fortune, and needed a break.
These are NO SMOKING rooms! Our room reeked of stale smoke and there were burn marks on the wash basin, and other furniture. The carpet was so bad, I kept my shoes on.I was NOT able to get the internet after spending at least a half hour with a tech! After 9 hours on the road, I just wanted to check in on the internet, and could not. They offered to change our room...what's the point?
There was so much noise and groups of people coming and going, and honking horns, we finally gave up, and left at 5 am...with less than an hour or so sleep!
We did get a refund on the internet FEE!

Date of stay: April 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rene49__11
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Husband & I arrived around 11 PM in Sioux Falls on a tight schedule; we needed to be up & gone by 7 AM the following morning in order to be on time where we needed to go. All we wanted was a halfway decent place to get a shower for the night & sleep for a few hours. And based on our previous, rather extensive experience with Motel 6 we figured we'd have a pretty good chance at getting a decent, clean room at a good value. Unfortunately, this time we were wrong.

We have stayed at quite a few Motel 6's all over the country, anywhere from Tampa FL to the Seattle area and many places in between. Hubby and I used to team-drive a semi truck and we usually sought out Motel 6 when we needed a "break" from the truck or we had to put it in the shop, etc. We've always had an overall pleasant experience & a good value for the money. Even in some of the "older" 6's in big cities, even some that were in a "not so nice" part of town, we still experienced a clean & comfortable stay.

Honestly I was suprised to have had such a poor experience in Sioux Falls. When a shabby looking Motel 6 in a sketchy area of metro Los Angeles can still manage to provide me with a clean room, comfortable bed & a hot shower (even if I don't dare go outside my room at night).......frankly I was shocked that a more decent looking Motel 6 in a quiet little South Dakota town couldn't manage to offer me ANY of those simple things.

My main complaint about the room (#207) was the tiny, backwards, God-awful excuse for a SHOWER!!!! Mind you, I spent 5 years as an OTR truck driver- I have seen some awfully small & poorly designed truck stop showers out there, but this one took the cake. In fact I have been in RV's with bigger showers than this one. It was a triangular stand-up shower stall, wedged in the corner next to the toilet. You stand facing the corner & close the curtain behind you. With the curtain closed, I had enough room to wash my hair & upper body. In order to wash my lower body I had to bend at the waist & stick my head out of the shower curtain, at times hovering eye-level with the toilet. And when I wanted to shave my legs I had to completely GET OUT of the shower and use the sink as a ledge to prop my legs up since there was no place to do it in the shower. By the time I was done, the entire bathroom floor was soaked since the curtain doesn't do much to hold any of the water in when you're constantly having to move it out of your way.

Not to mention, the water pressure was HORRIBLE....it felt like getting peed on by a pack of anemic Chihuahua puppies. The temperature was about right for that, too.....despite trying for 15 minutes, I was unable to get the water any hotter than "just above lukewarm" and I ended up getting chilled. Of course, the hot water that came out of the SINK faucet would darn near scald your skin off, but I guess the shower got its hot water from someplace else. And the water left me feeling "slimy" like I couldn't rinse any of my soap off- usually an indicator that it's softened water; IMO it really makes for an unsatisfying shower on top of everything else.

So after my miserable shower, I laid down on the bed next to my husband and my first thought was, "did somebody put plywood on top of this matresss?" It was ridiculously hard and uncomfortable but being exhausted I fell asleep anyway. I woke up several hours later with a throbbing pain in my right elbow from a pinched nerve. Managed to go back to sleep, only to wake up in the morning with my elbow pain 10 times worse and my right hand completely numb....all because I slept on my right side on this concrete mattress. I spent the next 3 hours of the morning with a throbbing pain in my elbow, completely unable to use the fingers on my right hand for any type of fine motor skills.

My final complaint is that the night clerk failed to give us a wake up call, as we requested before we even left the check-in desk the night we arrived. There was NO alarm clock in the room, all we wanted was a wake up call at 6, he appeared to put it in the computer....but NO call came in the morning and when we asked him upon check-out, he looked & saw that he hadn't actually entered it in the computer. My elbow pain was a blessing in disguise for us; had I NOT woke up because of that we would have been very late getting where we needed to go, which would have ruined weeks of planning for our weekend.

In all reality we could have saved ourselves $57 bucks and just stopped at the Flying J for showers, then slept in the car. We've done it before several times, and frankly I recall getting a much better night's sleep than I did at the Motel 6. Next time we'll either do that, or we'll pay a little extra to go someplace decent.

Room tip: Go somewhere else altogether.
Date of stay: May 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
3  Thank Woofless
Reviewed December 31, 2010

I am shocked at the bad reviews - I am on my 2nd night here (it was going to be 1, but a blizzard has delayed me a day) and I have seen no problems. I even went to the desk to checkout and the lady got a map out and told me of the travel conditions and road closings. Then I said I had to find a garage to fix my tire (I ran over a nail) and I said I wasnt sure if I would be staying - she said hold on to the key, go fix your car and let me know what youll do. She was very sweet! As was Crystal, the house keeper. They plowed the parking lot immediately too.

Pros:
-Everything looked very clean
-Cable TV, nice selection of channels (2 HBO channels, tnt,nbc,fox,tbs,discovery etc!)
-Most affordable rate around town
-Nice shower (NOT small, and I am not a small person)
-Deadbolts on the doors
-Lots of counter space and a table
-Easy location and parking
-Restaurant nearby, offered delivery but I didnt use it (went to a nearby walmart instead).

Cons:
-No microwave/fridge (but, it was so cold I just left food in my car. -5 degrees!)
-No continental breakfast
-Pay extra for wifi
-Stairs were not salted
-a couple of times there were some noisy people downstairs, and a dog barked when 1 of them knocked!

Date of stay: December 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
3  Thank Rhapsody75
Reviewed December 21, 2010

moldy bathrooms and showers. manager blames staff says they are new, mold been there longer than that. offered another room but not much better. said mailing certificate for free room at any other motel 6 but have never seen it.

Date of stay: May 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
m60162, General Manager at Motel 6 Sioux Falls, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2011

Motel 6 in Sioux Falls SD is under New Management. I want to apoligize for your stay with us. We have worked hard and continue to work hard on making our guests feel like home. Our rooms our clean, pleasent, we might only give you a bar of soap that says motel 6 and our price is the lowest in our chain. But the service , cleaniness and knowing your stay is very much appriciated says alot for Motel 6 in Sioux Falls SD. We are getting remolded this coming year. I wish you would give us another chance when you pass through this way again. We are making great happen in our motel and when you do come this way just ask for Diann and we all will make sure you are taken care of just like we strive to care for each and everyone that comes and stays with us. ( I do see you stayed in May not in December) Thank you Diann

Reviewed October 6, 2010

I needed a place to crash and this was the cheapest option out there. My expectations were low, but the very friendly and helpful staff exceeded them greatly. My room was manageable, but would not do for a longer stay. The shower was small, but did the job. Again, it wouldn't cut it for a longer stay.

PROS: cheap rooms, decent location, parking was very well lit, very friendly staff.

CONS: seemed like a seedy neighborhood that attracts "interesting" characters, extra cost for WiFi, small out of date shower, loud unkept airconditioners.

Overall, for a place to sleep for one night, it'll do. Although I felt safe, I probably wouldn't feel so if I was there with my family.

Date of stay: September 2010