“Good location”

Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Sioux Falls
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

We rented 2 rooms, 1 king, 1 double queen. Though both were no smoking, both rooms had the smell that there had been prior smoking. Beds were comfortable. We enjoyed the pool and the Falls Landing Bar with the outdoor patio. There is a wait at times for the one elevator. The breakfast area was packed in the morning so we did not eat there. Our second visit, both times because of a reserved block of rooms for the weddings we were attending.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

(I previously posted a detailed review, but it has disappeared! Here is what happened in a nutshell):

We stayed here three nights to attend a niece's wedding and everything seemed fine until the second night when our key cards started having problems. We notified the front desk and a helpful fellow came up and tried his key with mixed results. He left and we changed to gym clothes for an evening walk on the river trail. However, when we returned the door would not open at all, for anyone. So here we were locked out of our room in our gym clothes.

Our helpful fellow gave us a $10 card to the bar while hotel staff tried to open our door (although we do not drink and the bar had nothing that we wanted since it was late and they had stopped making food). Our fellow then gave us a new room, so we waited there. After 11 pm we checked our room and a different fellow said unhappily that he was running random codes into the door lock, hoping to hit the correct code. Apparently they had no way to open the door, so they were trying desperate measures. We went back to our room and heard nothing more from hotel staff until 9 am the next morning. By then they had gotten a locksmith, who opened the door so we could move our belongings to our new room.

This snafu could have been a major problem if we had needed to make an appointment, or had a flight to catch. As it was it was only a problem in that we had no access to our prescriptions, car keys, cell phone, etc, for 12 hours.

The hotel staff took our problem seriously and did what they could, but we were surprised that when the chips were down they had no immediate solution to this problem, which must happen fairly often.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trekkin_1956
ShelbyK138, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sioux Falls, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
We are so sorry for the incident of you not being able to get back into your room. I assure you this is not a common problem and we have fixed the problem with the lock. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

What a beautiful hotel with a GREAT staff.100% smoke free hotel in a great location in the artsy downtown. Staff provided helpful maps and advice on where to walk for fun.They really show off Sioux Falls. Excellent stay! Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2012
ShelbyK138, Public Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sioux Falls, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay. We are so glad you enjoyed your visit to Sioux Falls. We hope to see you again soon!
Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

somewhat pricey-but they do a very good job,lovely breakfast that was served until 1030 am on Sunday. Already popular thus higher price but forsee it being even more desirable when SF finishes the river walk parkway.. Accomodations very comfortable,but need to nearly fight for a parking place.
Have stayed here 4 times and will go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DenverDaDo
Shelby K, Owner at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Sioux Falls, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review, glad you enjoyed your stay, look forward to having you again soon.
Ahmedabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

I stayed for one night at htis place. The rooms are good and well maintained. The breakfast was good enough with many varieties of juices, flakes, oatmeal and raisins. I loved it. Worth staying. The have an arrangement with yellow cab for airport pick up and drop and pay directly. The yellow cab service was superb.

Room Tip: All roomsare good. If you want a view of the river / waterside, select the rrom at back. Front view...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Storm Lake, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

I always hate when a review has only positive or negative comments so I am going to try to include both in this review.

Positives:
-Breakfast. This was probably the best complimentary breakfast that I have had at a hotel. We enjoyed it two mornings and along with the make your own waffles, oatmeal, and cereal there was also eggs and sausage one morning and French toast and bacon the next. I do have to say that I was a little disappointed with the staff that worked the kitchen since I thought one of them was very rude to an 8 year old that told her the basket you put your dirty dishes in was full. She responded "Well do you want to see my kitchen that is full too." I didn't feel that this amount of sarcasm was necessary to a little boy who was only trying to be helpful.

-I did like the location. It was close to downtown and right next to the river and walking trails. I will say though that the view of the river was lackluster and not worth paying extra for.

-The woman who checked us in was very nice, but she was the only one of the front desk staff that would say that about.

-Our room was clean and the maids left quite a few bottles of shampoo and conditioner which was nice instead of trying to make one tiny bottle last all weekend.

Negatives:
-The conference room - The River Front Room- we rented for the weekend (to have a room for all of our group to gather) was very small. We had 49 people in there one night and barely fit, and if some of them hadn't have been standing there wouldn't have been enough places for all of us to sit. I think that they exaggerated the size of this room when we reserved it since they told us it was used for wedding receptions. If it is, it is a very small wedding with no dancing. Like I said 50 people could not comfortably fit in this room.
Because we had so many people there was also quite a bit of trash since we had pizza one night. We did try to keep everything picked up by stacking up the pizza boxes and clearing off the tables and putting plates and cans into the trash, but in the morning we were told that they would appreciate us cleaning up after ourselves. Um, no, that's why we are paying you to use this room. I don't know if they expected us to vacuum it or what else they wanted us to do, but then what am I paying you for? A too small room, with a bad view and a ceiling that drips.
Because on the second night of use in this room we also had water leaking from the ceiling, not sure where it came from, but it was dripping.

-The water in the shower would not stay a constant temperature. It started off very cold, even though I had the hot turned all the way on, so I braced myself for a quick cold shower. After a few minutes it did warm up, but then a minute or so later became cold again. This happened throughout my shower from cold to warm (I would say it never came close to hot).

-The toilet clogged easily. I understand that this happens but a person should be able to use the bathroom in their hotel room without worrying about it clogging up and having to call the front desk after every time for them to come fix it. And after talking to some friends who were there with us they had this same problem and finally had them leave a plunger in the room. I know plungers are ugly, but if you are going to have small toilets, just put the plunger in there, it will save the staff time and the customer embarrassment.

-I was also disappointed in the customer service. At times it was great, like when we checked in, but then everyone else seemed rude and that our requests were taking them away from more important matters. And I feel that if a lot of these little things could be addressed (the toilet, the water temp...ect.) that there would not have been so many requests and the staff would not have felt so overextended/overworked.

-The pool. Where to start? The room was falling apart. Paint peeling, tile missing and falling off the walls and no ventilation. I was in there watching my daughter swim and could barely breathe. When I got back up to my room an hour later, my eyes were so red from the chlorine that I looked like I had been swimming. The only way I could stand being in there was to sit next to an open window so I would get some fresh air. I know that any indoor pool is going to be hot and smell like chlorine, but this was overpowering. The state of the paint and tile just shows how badly ventilated the room really is.

Overall I wasn't impressed with our stay and we won't be going there again. I understand that there were a lot of people (since our group alone had 50) staying in the hotel this weekend, but the staff knows ahead how full it will be. Maybe extra staff should have been brought in if this is more than they are used to (the kitchen didn't seem to be prepared if the worker was complaining to an 8 year old), or a lot of these trivial things could be addressed so there isn't a need to contact the front desk as much.

I also just want to give a warning to anyone planning on blocking rooms for a large group like we did. They seemed more than happy to have us stay there, but then made us feel very unwelcome. They assumed that we were 'the leader' of the group and then told us that we would be held responsible for anything that happened instead of holding each room accountable like normal. There were 15 rooms blocked for our group, I don't understand how they can make one room responsible for 15 when everyone reserved their own room. They even slid a copy of their code of conduct under each person’s door who had a room under our reserved/blocked rooms.

So if you are an individual person or family this might not be a bad place to stay, but as a group especially with children, I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sara T
Thank you for your detailed review regarding our property. With a new General Manager in place we are certain that the sort of problems you experienced won't happen again. We have gone over your comments in detail and are certain we have addressed all issues. Regarding the pool room, the dehumidifying system had gone out, our new system along with a complete renovation will be complete by the end of May. The guest rooms have all been completely redone as well. We hope that should you come back to Sioux Falls you will give us the opportunity to correct our wrongs and give us another try.
rockies
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

As a Club Carlson member who frequently travels throughout the midwest and to Sioux Falls 6-7 times a year, I thought I had found a great place to stay while in Sioux Falls and a nice alternative to the pricier Holiday Inn nearby. I was sadly mistaken.

On a recent stay, my family and I were exhausted and needing some sleep before embarking on a 14 hour drive the next day. Unfortunately, there was a youth basketball team staying in the hotel and their parents/coaches/chaperones let them run wild in the hotel until all hours of the night for two nights in a row. I understand that kids like to have fun, but they also need to be considerate of others especially late at night. The "adults" with them were drinking and didn't care, laughing off the complaints of several people. Numerous guests, including us, complained to the front desk. One guest switched rooms (downgraded from the suite he reserved) but still got no relief from the noise. Another guest left altogether. Police were called at least three times but the antics resumed as soon as they left.

We were told by the gal at the front desk that there was nothing she could do because "they are paying guests, too". She should have asked them to leave and the hotel should give their staff the authority to do so in situations like this. We have been in contact with the corporate office seeking a refund and were told they "would take care of this right away". We were promised a call back that afternoon, but it has been 6 days.

Don't stay here if you need sleep or if you want good customer service. There are plenty of other hotel chains that offer the same amenities in the same price range.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank travlercrew7
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I deeply apologize for the experience you had at the hotel. It is always challenging when there are groups with children in the hotel as we try hard to make sure the group members are happy as well as the rest of the guests. It does not sound as if this balance was reached during your stay. We have a new general manger at the hotel now, our customer service scores are very high and am sure that what you experienced won't happen again. Please come and give us another try. We have taken your comments to heart and have improved our service based on them. Thank you again