“Inside Great, Cortyard Disgusting”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Sioux Falls
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Sioux Falls
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I rated this hotel a 3 due to the combination of inside and outside features. I would give the inside a 4 or 5 and the outside a two.
My stay was great with the exception of a couple of areas. I found the staff to be friendly and responsive to any needs. The breakfast room at this location is fantastic. Large and comfortable. The rooms were comfortable and well maintained. The pool area and workout room were both clean and well maintained.
The bad. The outdoor courtyard was dirty and non-kept. Benches were worn and felt like they were ready to break, dog excrement was on the concrete in several locations. Siding was visibly damaged on hotel in courtyard. Sidewalk was cracked. On a couple of doors were had written signs saying to use other door. These signs looked very tacky.
Overall the inside of the Hotel was great, the outdoor common area was disgusting.

Room Tip: Say off first floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Meloney M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Sioux Falls, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations and I have contacted our housekeeping team to correct the problem. I understand the condition of the courtyard was of concern; I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience, as cleanliness and comfort are our first priority. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to our city.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

This Homewood Suites establishment was missing the "wow" factor (like another reviewer commented) compared to others that I have stayed at in Wisconsin and Minnesota.
The rooms, kitchenette, vanity area has all the amenities but was a bit dated like the shower, kitchen space VERY narrow, sofa bed was terrible (my friend felt all the springs poking her). Food crumbs in arm chair, couple flys buzzing in our room. The location of our room was confusing, we went in circles to find the elevator and the stairs were not easily accessible (need signs to direct location of stairs).
I purchased the room in advance which meant I was charged immediately the day I booked it. After the transaction I received a confirmation number informing me everything was legit and good to go. Upon checking in and relaxing in the room, I was called to come back down to the front desk because they said I did not pay! Usually when it is an advance purchase, the room has been paid for. After showing my confirmation number, dates I booked it, transaction of money, it was resolved. Just an advice for next time, have your confirmation number handy because they might charge you again without proof!
Overall I would consider this establishment here in Sioux Falls again because I believe in their brand. However, maybe renovate a couple things to make it up to par with the rest of the surrounding Homewood Suites establishment in other states.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We had an opportunity to meet family and friends at your hotel recently, and had stayed at this location previously. We were once again very impressed with the cleanliness, efficiency of the staff and the great breakfast options. But what made this trip special was an employee named Heidi. She went above and beyond to make sure that our stay was comfortable and was extremely helpful. Hats off to you Heidi..... we will definitely return to stay at your hotel.

Sheryl H

Room Tip: The king room was a little chilly, but that was perfect for my husband and I.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Meloney M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Sioux Falls, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thank you so much for your positive response, I will forward your comments on to the staff and Heidi particularly. We appreciate your loyalty!

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I needed a nice but not overly expensive place to stay cause I was only in Sioux Falls from 8pm until about 8am and only because I needed a specific auto part. We stumbled upon this place, never having had heard about it prior to seeing it that night. The front desk lady was extremely nice and soooo helpful. I felt like I was at my log cabin the whole time I was there. My room had a kitchenette and a full size closet and a queen bed with a couch. Very comfortable and cozy. I absolutely loved this place. The breakfast was the best breakfast I have had at a hotel in the United States as well. Can't wait to go back and I will be staying next time I am in Sioux Falls.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Meloney M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Sioux Falls, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank you so much for your positive review of our hotel. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. As always, I share these reviews with the staff and they always feel great when they know they have helped in making someones stay a positive one. Thank you again.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

It was nice. No problems or big issues. But I had stayed at a Homewood Suites in Phx a few years ago and remember being "wowed" by the size of the room, the amenities, the staff etc. This was so-so. We had a two bdrm/two bath suite for a family gathering. It was fine. the bedrooms were a good size tho one bedrm had a king and one bdrm had a queen and a jacuzzi tub, which wasn't used and we would have rather had it be another bed! There was a small kitchenette but came stocked with VERY few dishes, utensils etc. (Moral here: bring some paper cups/plates, plastic serveware if you plan to eat in the room at all) Nice size frig which worked great for leftovers, bottles of beer/wine/soda.

The room was clean and the housekeeping did try to provide service while we were there but we always had people there, going in and out etc. But we always had plenty of clean towels etc.

The breakfast was one of those that after day 1, you opt to go to McD's...again it was fine but always the same things so you get a little bored with it. On the Sunday there were a TON of people in the brkfast area trying to get their hands on whatever they could and it always feels like cattle at the trough. One irritating thing was people would occupy big tables with their "party" and then just sit and talk and sit and talk for ever while others would come trying to find a place to sit and eat. Not much the hotel can do about this other than perhaps politely inviting people to gather elsewhere? One day the regular coffee maker was broken, and they had to wait for someone to come in and fix it rather than just replace it with another one. Seems they would have some reserves/extras available?

We did go to the pool. It was fine...not huge and I think only 5 ft at the deepest. But good for kids to play.

A good thing is it's location....right off I 229 - just a block away from Lewis Drug....near major hubs...it is easy to get anywhere from here!

Staff for the most part were friendly and responsive.

So bottom line was there was little wrong but it missed a "wow" factor for the price we paid nightly is all.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Meloney M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Sioux Falls, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to hear you found the housekeeping service to your liking. We look forward to serving your travel needs with a “wow factor” at our property should you return to the area.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Just a quick weekend trip to Sioux Falls, SD, and great to see that Homewood Suites had a location here. Always a great hotel, never have had a bad experience here. Location was close to highway for easy access to Downtown and very close to a nice mall. Nice pool, great breakfast as always.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent, queen studio a bit cheaper than a whole suite and just as good.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We love Homewood Suites, so when we were on our way home from Black Hills, we decided to stop over for the night before heading home to Wisconsin. It was my mistake that when I made the reservation online and booked a smoking room. Heavy smoke smell, but then again, totally my fault. The room was very nice. We were in a corner room and thought it would be very quiet, but a 5am we were woke up by a shower (must have been above us), but it was so loud, it sounded like a truck running in our room. We left shortly thereafter as the noise never subsided.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Meloney M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Sioux Falls, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a great experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the noisy shower sound. We encourage guests to let us know if they’re experience any noise discomfort so we can try our best to alleviate this. However, your comments will help us to improve our guest experience. Also, I’m very sorry that you mistakenly booked a smoking room. If that happens again during a stay with us, let us know, and we’ll try to accommodate you as best we can. We hope to see you soon. Best regards.