“Hit and miss, but can be amazing”

Crawford's Bar and Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Crawford's Bar and Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 409 Restaurants in Sioux Falls
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have been here several times. The atmosphere is cool. I have been completely blown away with the food, and then absolutely disappointed. I was also here on a weekend and witnessed a patron relieving himself in the sink in the bathroom. You roll the dice, but there is a chance that you will come up big.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Was not impressed with the service. Felt like we were a burden on the server. We had to wait an unreasonable amount of time for water, refills, etc. our seats were by the door so it was extremely cold throughout or meal. Would not go back again.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We celebrated our daughter-in-laws birthday and enjoyed our Sunday lunch at Crawfords. The food was good and we especially enjoyed our birthday treat...deconstructed smores with a flaming pot...FUN! The prices are reasonable and the service was excellent.

1  Thank sdtravelersf
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Ate here 11/3/12, had reservations for 8:15, got seated at 8:40 and I already knew something was amiss. It looked like more of a pick-up joint than a serious restaurant.....appearances were not deceiving. It was my son's B-Day so we wanted to go somewhere different, when we got seated I looked the menu over and noticed the prices (for our area,) were marginally higher than at the other 2 places we eat so I thought maybe, just maybe we were eating at a place with prime steaks after all 40 dollars in our area is a lot of money for a Porterhouse steak. I asked the waitress if this indeed was the fact, she didn't know, she asked the cook and told us no, just choice.....sigh. Ordered it anyway, along with the risotto and asparagus. Served our table with cherry butter and bread which was good, we got our meals, wait time was proper, and dug in. After the first 2 bites I knew I should have sent it back. The steak had more tendons running through it than Chicago has railways, not wanting to make a scene I just chewed and swallowed, spitting out the parts I didn't want to tackle which were considerable. I can't tell you the last time I had a steak this poor, only ate 1/2, but it doesn't end there. The risotto was like eating oatmeal, had no texture or definition, more like gumbo than anything. The end came and I consulted the waitress about the meal telling her the bread was the best part of the dinner, she scurried off and got us the bill. I will give them this, they took off 10 dollars for the effort. I am often faced with the decision of trying a new place to eat or sticking with the one that I know and trust. Sometimes you get lucky and that makes the gamble worth it. That night however, the dice came up snake eyes. Save your money, Go to Foley's or Minerva's just down the street, you will get what you came for and pay a 1/3 less.

1  Thank Jim W
Reviewed October 25, 2012

After a long and tiring day, I was happy to find Crawford's when I found myself in Sioux Falls.
The decor is beautiful and very fun. The waitress was attentive and helpful.

However, for the price point, the food was not what I would have expected based on many other restaurants I've frequented with similar menu and pricing.

For starter, ordered the charcuterie, which billed itself as containing artisan cheeses. Both the smoked gouda and the hard cheese, parmesan I presume, were mediocre grade commercial. Certainly not artisan. As someone who has had out-of-this-world charcuterie plates at this price AND is a serious high end cheese purchaser personally, this was a disappointment. The seeded flat bread that accompanied was great, as was the whole grain mustard.

I chose one of the featured dinners, a pan seared duck, roasted squash, cherry demi-glace and broccoli. Again, having had duck in various high end restaurants, I was disappointed in this chef's version of 'medium rare'. The very end of the breast would fit that description, the rest of it was raw enough I couldn't chew it. The roasted squash puree was heavenly seasoned, the demi glace was nice. The broccoli was lightly steamed, not seasoned at all, and dry.

The chef's featured dessert was a blueberry cobbler with house-made berry sorbet. The cobbler appeared to have been freshly baked when ordered. Presentation on the plate with berries and flowers beautiful, only to be ruined by two massive slabs of the sorbet slapped on top of the piping hot, straight from the oven cobbler. These didn't appear to be scooped with a round scoop or any attention to detail. They were huge sloppy slabs that completely covered and overwhelmed the beautiful dessert underneath. The sorbet was delicious, but I had to pull half of it off the dish to try to save the cobbler. The cobbler was fantastic, with a delicious, inspired crust.

All of that being said, the waitress was supremely gracious when I stated I couldn't eat the duck. I had indicated earlier that I was interested in the chef's dessert and she offered to comp it. She made a lovely recommendation for wine by the glass. In the end, she comped the entree as well, although I had not expected nor asked for that.

I will definitely give Crawford's another chance when returning to SF, as I see great potential and the place is beautiful. Better luck next time!

1  Thank purplecj2016