“Red Roof Rip Off”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lenexa, Kansas
“Red Roof Rip Off”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Red Roof Inns in several states. This, by far, is in a league of its own as a disappointing experience. Here are the main reasons why:

1. As others stated, there was a lingering, musty smelling odor. On our sheets; in the hallways; throughout our room; in the lobby as you walk in. That is disgusting and unsanitary. Even for a farming town in South Dakota. There are national standards all must uphold. We are a civilized people, right?

2. Unless you like extremely firm beds, look elsewhere. Two nights here, and both were a torturous experience for me. As a larger man over 200 lbs. and over 6' tall, this bed was not made for a person my size. I was awoken several times with severe back pain, neck pain, and shoulder pain, which lingered into the day. This bed hit every pressure point and did me in.

3. The breakfast is a significant disappointment. Unless you like cherrios and day-old muffins, plan to go elsewhere for breakfast. DO NOT pay extra for the continental breakfast. It is a sorry, half-baked excuse for breakfast.

4. Given the sad state of affairs here, there was little trust for the cleaning staff. So, I elected for a dirty room and "Do Not Disturb" sign both nights over the risk of stolen electronics and valuables while I was away and the staff was at play.

In short, this does not meet the standards of the Red Roof Inn franchise. There are many lodging choices in the Sioux Falls region. You are smart to look elsewhere if you are a person with standards, as most of us are.

Room Tip: This place needs a makeover on every level...better trained staff, better decor, better breakfast of...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mbafinance2010
Stacy P, Manager at Red Roof Inn Sioux Falls, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear mbafinance2010,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion. I take your comments very serious and use them to improve our property for you and other guest. I have shared your concerns with our owner, and staff. I can assure you corrective measures have been taken to ensure this situation does not happen again. We will be starting our Next Gen upgrades to our property next month, (carpet, flat screen TV's) and it will continue into the spring.

We would like to let you know that if at any time you are not satisfied with your accommodations wither here or at another property please contact the front desk as soon as possible so that we may try to correct the situation for the remainder of your visit.

Here at the Red Roof Inn we strive to make our guest feel welcome, confident and significant. I can see where we missed our mark with you. I hope you will give us another opportunity in order to aim higher then what you have already experienced.

Again thank you for your feedback we appreciate all comments in order t better serve our guests.
Please like us on Facebook in order to see the changes I have mentioned above.

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
New Ulm, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because we were in Sioux Falls for a wedding and didn't want to pay $140+ per night for a room. Our total for two nights at the Red Roof Inn was just slightly more than that amount, and it served its purpose. The staff was very friendly, the room was clean, the bed comfortable, and we had free WiFi. There is no coffee maker or ironing board/iron in the room, but there is free coffee in the dining area 24/7 and ironing board for the asking (which I did, and received immediately). There was a very good restaurant right next door. If you need a place to sleep and don't need all of the frills the higher-priced hotels offer, I highly recommend this hotel. If we are ever in Sioux Falls again overnight, we will stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joyce J
Stacy P, Manager at Red Roof Inn Sioux Falls, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Joyce J,

Thank you for choosing the Red Roof Inn of Sioux Falls. I am excited to see you had such an enjoyable time.

I have shared your comments with the staff and the restaurant next door. We have had many guest tells us how great the Gateway Lounge is.

I look forward to seeing you again soon. Please check us out on facebook to see the upcoming changes to our property.

Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Stayed here July 21 for an overnight. Found it to be in a very good location, close to shopping, and easy to find off the I-29. Room was very clean, and the staff was very helpful and courteous. Nice continental breakfast, lots of parking, what more could one want. I would repeat my stay if I were going that direction again. Only downside was no pool or hot tub to unwind in at the end of the day.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Stacy P, Manager at Red Roof Inn Sioux Falls, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear newlyretired10 ,

Thank you for choosing us on the beginning of your new adventures.

Our location is very nice and I am glad you appreciated the connivance of our location.

I will be happy to share your comments on our Facebook and with our staff. Thank you for taking the time to allow other travelers know how you feel.

Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed at this hotel just needing a place to sleep for a night on our road trip. It serves it purpose. The hotel was clean and the staff were very nice. It is also right off the highway so it is easy to get to. There are also a lot of restaurants within minutes. The beds were very comfortable. My only complaint with the rooms is the height of the shower head. I know most hotels have short showers but this shower was built for people five feet and under. The breakfast was good enough to fill a hungry stomach but wasn't anything fantastic. Overall the staff was nice and I would stay there again on a road trip as it is a good price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear WccAw13,

Making our guest feel welcomed and confident is the goal we set for each guest as they come to visit. I am very happy you felt that way and that you will come to visit again.

I will share your comments with the staff and again thank you for choosing the Red Roof Inn.

Atlanta, Indiana
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The room seemed clean but the rest of the motel seemed kind of dirty. Lots of big stains on the hallway carpeting.

Breakfast consisted of store bought pastries (not good), oatmeal, cheerios, fruitloops, apples and bananas. Was not impressed.

Service was good. They are always competent and friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear JimInAtlantaIN,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response about your stay with us. I am sorry that you felt the property to be rundown; we are going to be making some very exciting changes in the next year to the property. I hope that you will follow us on Facebook to see.
However I am happy that you were satisfied with your room and the staff. I will be happy to share your comments, and please come see us soon.

Kanawha, Iowa
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We picked this motel knowing we would be getting in late and leaving early, basically just sleeping, so we weren't looking for a swimming pool. The staff member who checked us in was very friendly. The room was small, but very clean and quiet, comfortable bed. The breakfast was small, but adequate - cold and hot cereal, toast, bagels, etc. There was no coffee pot or hair dryer in the room, but other than this, it was a great value for the price - just over $60.00. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Holly,

I am happy to see that you were greeted by a friendly face, I will be happy to share your comments with all my staff. Even though you felt the room to be small, I am glad you were very comfortable.
We look forward to seeing you again and you can see the upcoming changes on our Facebook Page. Again thank you for choosing us.

Prairie Grove, Arkansas
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed here two nights in July. I chose this location due to the good reviews on trip advisor. I was not disappointed. The asst manager negotiated a good price for the weekend. The room was clean and comfortable. The only negative would be that there's no fridge or microwave. There are a couple of resteraunts within walking distance. I did not price any other hotels in the area so, I can't say for sure it's less expensive that say the quality inn or days in but, I was happy with the price and cleanliness.

• Stayed July 2012
Stacy P, Manager at Red Roof Inn Sioux Falls, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear John L,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am happy that we were able to get you into a room this weekend with as busy as Sioux Falls was. Jesse my Assistant Manager will be happy to see that he was able to help another guest. We do offer rooms with fridges and microwaves but I also know that we did not have any available this weekend due to the dog show, and the air show in town.
The next time your travel plans bring you to Sioux Falls, please do not hesitate to stay again and we will try to accommodate you with an upgraded room.