“Just looking for a place to sleep”
Review of Econo Lodge North

Econo Lodge North
Ranked #46 of 53 Hotels in Sioux Falls
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were just looking for a place to sleep. The positive, the breakfast was decent and the hot tub was nice. The negative, I'm not sure if they recently shampooed or what the problem was, but the floor of our room felt damp and the room smelled musty. The pool needed to be cleaned. The staff was friendly. I rated the room poor because of the floor/room smell.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BirmanGirl
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge North

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Well the negative reviews I have read span over several years. It's too bad that nothing has changed! Worst hotel we have ever stayed in! I have stayed in several ChoiceHotels this year and was shocked by the condition of this place. I called Choice to let them know what this place is like and that they should be embarrassed to have this hotel under their name!!! Check in took 30 minutes, the girl at the desk just kept saying "I am new here...I don't know how to do that." The lock on the outside door was broken so anyone could walk in and out all night long. Our room smelled of mold and stale cigarettes. There was dried urine on the toilet, obviously not cleaned from the guest before. Holes in the wall in the bathroom and the shower curtain dangling from the wall, couldn't close it at all. Water pressure non existent in the shower. Alarm clock and smoke detectors broken. It was just GROSS! We didn't check in until 10:30 p.m. after traveling all day and would have normally complained to the front desk but all we wanted to do was sleep and get up and leave. We were leery about sleeping on the beds since it was clear that they didn't clean the room. I also felt that "we get what we pay for" but then I changed my mind. I paid for a decent place to rest and I did not receive that! I wish I would have read up on this place before I booked it. I was looking for something close to the Interstate and I just assumed that any ChoiceHotel would be decent...I was wrong.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel! Disgusting!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Brookeekstrom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We booked this place as a stop over on our way home from a lenghty trip. As such, I looked for cheap, an boy o boy did I get it.
First the good: Close to the Intersate, close to a Perkins, Arbys, McDonalds and gas stations, and the girl who checked us in (On the evening of July 11th) was very friendly and helpful.
The bad: This place reeked....badly. The hallways smelled old and musty, the pool was tiny and was full of debris(Its an indoor pool, how does it get full of stuff?!?). The room, while admittedly spacious, was old, tired, smelled funny, and I was a little reticent to even take my shoes off. The carpets were that gross, and the A/C, which was set for "Max" was blowing warm air. Boy was that an uncomfortable night.
We set our alarm clock for 7am...By 7:15am were were packed, checked out, and back on the interstate. We couldn't get out of there fast enough.
Be warned. And believe the crappy reviews on here. This place needs a big overhaul.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank R N
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Very cheap. Didn't expect fancy, and figured building/furnishings would be dated and simple, but did hope for clean. Hair on sheets and towels. Filthy under bed. Nightstands not wiped down. Very old, uncomfortable, springy bed. Halls wreak of smoke. Evening front desk person not very nice. I expected slim choices for continental breakfast, and that's ok, but they didn't even keep that stocked or clean. "Pool" is size of large hot tub. Had reservation to stay 2 nites. Lost out on $ and just left (no way I could stay another night - contemplated sleeping in car 1st night).

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Kelly J
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Staff waited to tell me that the pool and hot tub were out of service until AFTER I had registered. Non-smoking room had pillows which smelled of smoke.Staff provided fresh replacements. Bed was reasonably comfortable and room was clean but noisy for various reasons. Back entrance is not secured, as mentioned by other reviewers. Continental breakfast was basic but a waffle maker was available. Those wishing a more substantial breakfast will find fast food and a family restaurant within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: One of the homes behind the hotel keeps peacocks/peahens. These birds can be very loud, even in the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Dennis P
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed here after driving 12 plus hours hoping to avoid a storm.
The counter woman was very helpful and friendly
I told the counter woman that all i wanted was a hot bath and a good bed. That is what we got.
The breakfast was good, the room clean. Nothing fancy, but it worked fine for our purposes.
The price was good.
good location
I did not like the unlocked back entry, and the lounge area there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2012

The room was ok, the shower head was detachable which I do not like. When i was walking down the hall to breakfast there was someone sleeping on a couch on the hallway, it was kinda freaky, I let the front desk know and they got rid of him. I did like the outside entry next to our room. Makes it easy when you are travelling with pets. I would stay again. Its very convenient to the highway.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business