“A Port in a Storm”

Ranked #23 of 53 Hotels in Sioux Falls
Gasquet, California
“A Port in a Storm”
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Very grateful to make it to the hotel that night. Weather was bad. Now I know what severe weather in South Dakota means. Hotel was immaculate and roomy. Good value for the money spent. We lay on our bed and watched an amazing storm and the flat screen tv gave up to the minutes reports of the weather including the tornados we dodged coming accross the State.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Manchester, NH
Reviewed June 18, 2010

I stayed at this hotel on two separate weeks of May 2010. I stayed in 3 different rooms during that time. And I had to wear earplugs in each room. It seemed no matter which part of the hotel, there was too much noise from the highway, or the intersection. It was really loud, even with earplugs.
It's in a good location, being so close to food and shopping. But the location is also part of the downside. I sleep odd hours and noise is a big deal to me. Also light, no matter how much I tried to block the light coming in from the window, the room was just far too bright to sleep well during the day, if that matters to you.
The decor was nice and modern. I like the soothing colors in the room. There was a small fridge and microwave in my room. The bed was comfy. Well placed lighting. The breakfast was better than most, in my opinion, there were some healthy options. I did not use any other services/amenities.
All in all, if it weren't for the noise, I would stay again. But it is too noisy for me, I will have to look elsewhere on my next stay in Sioux Falls. Shame. One thing you can't change is location.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Midwest
Reviewed April 7, 2010

the hotel staff was nice, restaurants are close, please note that the room was $30 via expedia than the quoted rate on their website, tried to stay again on our return trip but they were full. the decor is interesting and pretty, breakfast was good. rooms are big with two tvs, beds are comfortable

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
South Dakota
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I was impressed with this hotel stay from beginning to end. Check-in was simple and the staff friendly. The room decor was unique and modern, and we enjoyed having a desk to work at and two flat-panel TVs. We had read some reviews complaining of traffic noise because of the nearby Interstate and busy street, but we honestly didn't notice any, and we stayed on a Friday night. We watched a pay-per-view movie in the room and then had a great night's sleep - not once being awakened by noise of any type - inside the hotel or out. Breakfast the next morning was the normal hotel breakfast variety, which was quite sufficient for us, and check-out was a breeze. Unless something changes my mind on future visits, this will be THE hotel we stay at each time we visit Sioux Falls from now on!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank sdhomegirl
Minnesota
Reviewed November 16, 2009

This is a newer Springhill so was very surprised when I walked into my room. Very updated funky decor. Nice living area with comfortable seating area. Built in desk with good lighting. Microwave and fridge in each room. Large bathroom with sliding door (although lighting in bathroom is muted so not good for doing makeup). Very comfortable beds.

Breakfast includes breads, bagels, oatmeal, scrambled eggs and make your own waffles. A good selection of cereals and some yogurts. Fruit was very limited (I was down for breakfast at 7:00 AM and only one banana on buffet).

This hotel is located next to the Empire Mall and lots of dining options. I would definitely reommend this property and will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
South Dakota
Reviewed September 14, 2009

This is a great place to stay when visiting Sioux Falls. Hotel is new and the rooms are clean and very nice. Close to mall and several places to eat. Lobby floor was a little dirty both on check-in and check-out, but could have been due to high occupancy on the weekend. Noise from interstate is a little loud during the weekend; suggest turning on fan to block it out a bit.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Prescott Valley, Arizona
Reviewed September 3, 2009

The room was gorgeous (although you need sunglasses for the hallway . . . reference to the bright walls and carpet!) and VERY comfortable. Clean (and I am picky) and spacious for my husband and myself. Bed was comfy, workdesk and internet great, every amenity we needed. The lobby/breakfast area is very nice, and the breakfast was adequate, but not fancy. Some reviewers noted traffic noise, and it is next to a freeway offramp, but honestly the traffic noise was mild enough that I didn't notice it (we do run the a/c all night). The trickiest part of this hotel is maneuvering to the parking lot from the main road. The hotel is very visible, but getting to it is a little challenging. Within easy walking distance to mall and restaurants.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business