“Excellent for the Price!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Gateway Hotel

Grand Gateway Hotel
Ranked #31 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
Paterson, New Jersey
“Excellent for the Price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

Great pricing. We stayed here for a week and have few complaints. If you are someone that is into working out, the gym is sparse. They have a great indoor pool with a waterslide for the kids(and adults). They have patio tables and a few pool tables by the pool, also. A bar, Cheers II, is connected to the hotel and a Perkins is right next door-and they will deliver to your room, which is convenient. Staff was friendly and helpful. We stayed in one of the regular rooms and we had a standard TV. My other family members stayed in a "concierge" room and had a flat screen. I would inquire at the front desk if you would like a room with a flat screen. Also, there are no movies to rent, at least in my room. It was a pleasant experience and close to everything.

Room Tip: Ask for the concierge room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank xlilacdiva79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

We were on a road trip, so this was just a stopping point for overnight. Price was decent for what we got. Room was clean and bed was comfortable. There was a bar with live music and pool with slide, but we were too tired after the long drive and just crashed. I'd stay again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bon726
Rochdale, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

The hotel corridors are pretty dark, as was our room, and it lacked a microwave/fridge/flat screen tv.

There is no complimentary breakfast, but Wi-Fi is free, and we ate dinner once (once was enough) in the adjoining Perkins, where they had run out of soup at 8-15pm.

The bed was fine but pillows were small, and overall it was decent value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wroughtironron
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

I booked this for a recent trip as the price was fantastic though the reviews were only ok. I figured for $35 it was worth the risk especially considering the reviews while mixed seemed good lately. It's right of the highway, very convenient location with gas stations and a diesel station close by.

The interior struck me as a bit dark but classy kind of a old world leather way. Check in was smooth and upon getting into the room I was pleasantly surprised to see that the bed was large the room was very big and they had a real crib for my child not a play yard. The shower was great and the moen shower head had settings I'd never seen before with some movement inside but it basically gave you a back massage if you set it right. It was great and obviously I looked to see what the brand was so I could look into one upon getting home. The bed was very comfortable and the ac worked just fine. The room service staff was happy to let me raid their cart after I asked them to not make up the room but they gave me coffee packs when asked.

I didn't have any of the issues I'd heard of about the Perkins and it was quiet when I was in the lobby area. In the lobby I could hear karaoke from the lounge but nothing too bad and I couldn't hear anything from the room. The parking lot was being worked on but there was plenty of parking near the doors to bring in luggage and I felt my car was safe for the duration.

The pool area and water slide are the best I've seen in a hotel that I can remember. The pool isn't huge but the slide was fantastic. I giggled rather embarrassingly going down it and my wife commented that she hasn't seen me have that much fun in a while.

The Perkins will wrap food up for you to bring to your room and the room menu looked like you could order it for room service. It was very nice to have it attached to the hotel. The food was fine despite reviews we read to the contrary.

The hotel seemed safe and I didn't see a lot of traffic in the halls though I was aware people were around. The location was good to get to local attractions (mt Rushmore,crazy horse,wall drug)and the highway is less than a minute from the hotel. If I find my way back out to the area I will stay here without hesitation.

Room Tip: I just asked for a non smoking with crib and it worked out great. I stayed far down the hall by the...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Alowen
Shelbyville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Waiting and planning a vacation is sometimes stressful, but finding the best place to stay in an unknown city is like a box of cream candy...you never know what your going to bite into. However, our choice was the Grand Gateway Hotel and after a long drive from Indiana we were pleased to find it close to I-90 and very easy to get in and out. The hotel is quite interesting in decor but our room was spacious and comfortable. There was a slight maid-service problem that was corrected quickly and professionally by Rene & Krystl and the night-manager - Steve. Thanks to them all was forgiven and the long day of sight-seeing just melted away. We stayed a total of 4 nights and would definitely choose this location if we ever travel that way again. The Perkins Restaurant is attached to this hotel and easily accessed through the hotel so you don't have to ever go outside if you don't want. Food was good and reasonable. Upon check-out, we discussed our stay with the day-manager - Marie, who was very professional and extremely helpful. We received a call later in the day about our stay from the Corporate Office and again professionalism was at the top of the chart. I'm sorry that I lost the paper I wrote her name on, but thank you. We definitely recommend this hotel in Rapid City. You are close to everything, even Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments. Thanks for everything during our stay.

Room Tip: We had the king room on the 2nd floor facing the front of the hotel and parking area. Noticed no no...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Italia Ann H
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here one night while on vacation in the area. We were very impressed by the upkeep of the hotel and rooms. Our room was large with a microwave, fridge, and large flat screen tv (which I always appreciate). Everything was clean and in good working condition.
The only con was the pool hours! We checked in quite late (after 8pm) as we were sight seeing and hiking all day. We specifically choose a hotel with a hot tub because our 6 hour hike in a thunderstorm was a little exhausting. At check in I was advised the pool closed at 10pm. It was a holiday weekend and there were screaming kids all over the pool area at the time. I really wish they would have had later pool/spa hours for adults to avoid kids, or maybe adult only time from 10-11pm. We ended up skipping the pool all together and just unwinding with a nap in our room.
We also stopped in later to Cheers. There was live music and neat mix of people hanging out. It was super fun, and bartender was very nice. The music was great, too!
Overall we would definitely stay again. Beautiful hotel!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kirsten24
rustington UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed here for two nights while travelling through S. Dakota. The hotel is clean, well managed and has a bar and restaurant attached. I mucked up my booking but after discussing with the receptionist, all was ok. I admit I still payed for an extra night as it was my fault, I still can't fault the place, except it's a good drive away from the city centre. I slept in quite a few motels/hotels throughout my travels, I never had a more comfortable bed than here with a coffee maker and all the extras in the room you expect in a good hotel. I would definitely stay here again, and will, because there was some places of interest I never got to see when I visited in early May due to the inclement weather. Well done to all the staff. A hotel doesn't make a good name for itself without the hard work of
everyone from the cleaners right up to the management. An extra hooray to the cleaners as they never get the applause they deserve!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo