“All was great with the property.”

Grand Gateway Hotel
Ranked #31 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
Billings, Montana
“All was great with the property.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I really liked this place! Everything was clean, the bed was comfortable and the location worked well for me. Across the parking lot was a convenience store and connected to a Perkins. The only bad mark is that I left a do not disturb sign on the door, yet when I returned they had come into my room and left a notice on the desk that I had missed maid service. Now in all fairness this probably was a maid that I hope knew I was gone, but what if I had been there doing who knows what or what if it wasn't the maid? The notice is supposed to be slipped under the door. With that being the only exception I would definitely stay here again! They have safes that will hold a laptop and only one key to the safe feature I really like.

Room Tip: Both ends have their own benefits. Travelers with kids will want a room on the west end close to the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TaberRules

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I almost passed on this hotel and I'm glad I didn't. It's an older hotel so a few stains on the carpet didn't make me want to leave. The kids loved the pool but they do need someone in there to supervise kids and teens who can't read the rules or to tell the idiot parents of those idiot kids to follow the rules. Room was great and even though I didn't know the area I felt safe.

• Stayed July 2013
Aberdeen, South Dakota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

I made a reservation for my hubby and 8 yr old at the Grand Getaway ( on Expedia.com) the hotel is great but I will NEVER use Expedia again due to horrible service. I called the hotel and spoke with Brandy to explain a change I was trying I make for their stay ( Expedia refused to help and kept me on hold for over 20 minutes and then hung up on my ) I explained all of this to Brandy and she said she cold help and offered to just call me back since I'd already spent so much time on the phone. She was personable, customer-focused and I could hear over the phone that she remained cheerful. I appreciated the above and beyond service. Great service is NOT a thing of the past! Thanks Brandy, you represented South Dakota well!

Iowa City, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

When I booked the room I didn't realize we had no refrigerator. Upon checking in I asked to upgrade so we could have one. It was a minimal price that was worth it. We had a forth floor room near the elevator, it was noisy until around 10so no big deal, but this was a Sunday night so weekends could be louder. The slide was cool for the kids. It is not a pool to swim-basically just for the slide so hard for tiny kids. No breakfast-not even coffee! We could make a pot in our room.

Room Tip: Rooms near elevator are loud.
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

The Grand Gateway is a remodeled older property. We stayed there because the price was very reasonable. No breakfast so that figures into the equation a bit. The room was clean and nicely decorated in a formal style. The beds were a bit bouncy, but we did sleep well. Coffee maker in the room and sink outside the bathroom which is great when several people are trying to get ready in the morning. Pool seemed small for the size of the hotel and was packed with kids, many of which were poorly supervised by their parents and no staff in sight. The kids really enjoyed the water slide but it seemed a bit dangerous in that no one was there to assure they weren't falling on top of each other at the bottom of the slide. Several near misses. My recommendation if you have kids in the pool is to instruct them on how to slide and swim safely, move out of the way etc., and then end the swim if things are not safe. Overall it was a nice stay and I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my 2 and 4 year old boys. The room with double beds easily fit our pack n play and luggage. My boys loved the indoor pool. We were there every day. The hotel was nice for the price and location. The only drawback was that the pool need some maintenance. The coating was peeling, so the bottom felt kind of dirty.

• Stayed July 2013
Norwich
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were travelling with American friends who had kindly sorted out the booking so we were surprised on checking in that we were nowhere near each other. On receiving our room number my husband asked to change as it was at the end near the exit and lift but was told it wasn't possible to change. The first night was AWFUL, the back door crashed every time people went out to the rear car park or out to smoke, and the noise and vibration was such that our headboard shook every time that happened! The lifts were in the back corner too and were audible. Fortunately the noise stopped at about 11.30p.m. but started again at 6 a.m. The following 2 nights were better -perhaps we were so tired we slept through the noise!
We had breakfast at the Perkins which was attached to the hotel, that was good but the hotel obviously used that as an excuse not to provide breakfast as so many other hotels do in the States.
Our room was comfortable with a fridge, good shower and comfortable bed , cleanliness was just ok. There was a large indoor pool and sitting area where families with kids seemed to be enjoying the facilities.
Staff were quite detached, not particularly bothered and I thought it was poor not to offer a change of room or even bother to put 2 couples , obviously travelling together, in rooms close by.
For those reasons and the dreadfully noisy room , NUMBER 134 , I can only give the above rating, a shame as with more thought and better staff training, the hotel has the potential to be very good indeed.

Room Tip: Do NOT accept room 134 or those near. It should not be used as it is next to the rear exit with no r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple