Grand Gateway Hotel
La Quinta Inn & Suites Rapid City(Rapid City)(Great Value!)
$39
$50
$34
$34
Quality Inn & Suites(Rapid City)(Great Value!)
$63
$46
QualityInn
$51
  • Restaurant
$69
ComfortSuites
Cambria Hotel & Suites Rapid City(Rapid City)(Great Value!)
$68
$59
CambriaHotels
Sleep Inn & Suites(Rapid City)(Great Value!)
$39
$38
$74
All reviewsperkins restaurantperkins attachedindoor poolhot tubwould stay againblack hillscoffee makerroom was largesouth dakotabeds were comfortablestaff was friendlymt rushmoreinterstatewalmartsdmicrowavesturgis
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my 2 and 4 year old boys. The room with double beds easily fit our pack n play and luggage. My boys loved the indoor pool. We were there every day. The hotel was nice for the price and location. The only drawback was that the pool need some maintenance. The coating was peeling, so the bottom felt kind of dirty.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were travelling with American friends who had kindly sorted out the booking so we were surprised on checking in that we were nowhere near each other. On receiving our room number my husband asked to change as it was at the end near the exit and lift but was told it wasn't possible to change. The first night was AWFUL, the back door crashed every time people went out to the rear car park or out to smoke, and the noise and vibration was such that our headboard shook every time that happened! The lifts were in the back corner too and were audible. Fortunately the noise stopped at about 11.30p.m. but started again at 6 a.m. The following 2 nights were better -perhaps we were so tired we slept through the noise!
We had breakfast at the Perkins which was attached to the hotel, that was good but the hotel obviously used that as an excuse not to provide breakfast as so many other hotels do in the States.
Our room was comfortable with a fridge, good shower and comfortable bed , cleanliness was just ok. There was a large indoor pool and sitting area where families with kids seemed to be enjoying the facilities.
Staff were quite detached, not particularly bothered and I thought it was poor not to offer a change of room or even bother to put 2 couples , obviously travelling together, in rooms close by.
For those reasons and the dreadfully noisy room , NUMBER 134 , I can only give the above rating, a shame as with more thought and better staff training, the hotel has the potential to be very good indeed.

Room Tip: Do NOT accept room 134 or those near. It should not be used as it is next to the rear exit with no restraint on the door to stop it banging or even a sign asking people to be quieter at night or early in the morning. It is also near the lifts.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pensy23
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I booked a room for our family for a week long vacation that included my husband and I renewing our wedding vows. I had emailed ahead of time advising of our plans and a few questions I had for our special day. Because of some mix ups I never received an email in return. In their defense they did try to return my email but sent it to a wrong address.
When we checked in the hallway smelled stongly of cigarette smoke and we found dirty towels and a large chunk of human hair in our bathroom. When we called the front desk they sent someone to come get the towels. He told us the maids don't clean very well. Needless to say I wanted to leave and I'm completely grossed out. The front desk didn't seem to bothered by our find. There also was no fridge to store my bouquet and the boutonnières for the guys. That was my fault for not checking and assuming this was standard for hotels to provide.
The next day we looked for a new hotel. When we spoke to the manager to advise him why we were leaving, he was very kind and assured us that house keeping work very hard and do a great job at cleaning. So we decided to give it another try and finish out our week. The manager did say he would make up for the mistakes.
He did take a day off of our stay. That was very kind on him.
The reason I'm on the fence about if we will return is I DID feel that the cleaning staff was poor. Here is why... Referencing our earlier incident and the fact that my son had dropped a piece of his Doritos he was eating in the bathroom.(I know gross, right! Lol) I decided to leave the piece of Dorito on the floor to see if it would be swept up by the maids. It was not. Not the entire rest of the week that we stayed. It is possible that it is not their policy to sweep and mop when u stay over but between the two incidents I felt that it might be true that the staff might cut corners when they clean.
I also thought maybe the hotel would have sent us a small token of congratulations on the wedding considering they saw me in my wedding dress and knew thats why we were there. Those were my expectations and I guess I can't blame the hotel for not meeting those.
On our last day right before we left we went to the attached Perkins and ordered breakfast. When the waitress delivered our food she dropped the entire 3 bottles of syrup on my husband and they broke open covering him in syrup. Now we have a 10 hour drive back home with no way to clean off the sticky syrup that was covering him. They did bring out wet towels for him to use but he did have to drive in flip flops as his shoe was squishy with syrup. * I do understand that the hotel had nothing to do with this I just thought I would include it so you could see why we called this our "if it could go wrong, it went wrong" vacation.

On a side note we had trouble with our rental car too! Lol!!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Dawn C
Reviewed July 23, 2013

After a very long day, my husband & I tried to enquire about a room. There were 5 staff at reception - they were all busy chatting to each other. After gaining eye contact from 2 or 3 staff but no offer to assist me, I walked out of the lobby. Just as I was leaving, a staff member said, "are you wanting to book in?". I replied, "apparently not" & the staff response was, "OK". In a place where there are so many hotels & motels, I don't think that the employees should be so complacent & seemingly uninterested in potential guests. I cannot comment on the hotel itself, as I was not able to get decent desk service & this was not a good sign to me.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Alison092
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Best shower of the all the hotels I have stayed in over the last 3 weeks while travelling in USA.
Large rooms and comfortable beds, pillows not so much. A good 1 hour walk into Rapid City if the fancy takes you. Close to a number of restaurants and diners and also restaurant right next door. Service was great at reception and clean. Also close to Wallmart and Target shopping centers. All you need for a short stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family