“Critics need to get a life.”

Grand Gateway Hotel
Ranked #30 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
branson, mo
“Critics need to get a life.”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We are traveling w kids from Mo to Seattle, portland, glacier mt then s dakota. Booked on fly then read trip advisor. CRITICS ARE WRONG! Summary: rate below 100 so got two rooms, dated property but clean, pool great slide, pool floor had perling pt due to bad sealing job but not hard on ft sure will be fixed. Staff great-door accidently between units got closed and ft desk at midnight came up to help to resolve. We come from a hospitality driven area and these people are trying their hardest to accomodate just could use a little modernization. Would stay again. Close as We wanted to be to Rushmore.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The people at the front desk were a little short while others were extremely friendly. The rooms where a good size but dark and the same with the hallways. So some things were bad such as they say they have free breakfest but they don't becuase they are connected to Perkins. The pool area was nice when there weren't 20 kids in there. The pool was a little unappealing because the bottom is peeling and is extremly gross to walk on. The water slide is also only open for certain hours. The hot tub was nice when there weren't babies with diapers in there. The staff also did not care if the rules where followed. One positive was that you were right by the mall. Over all it was an okay stay.

• Stayed May 2013
Fairbanks, Alaska, United States
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The employees are polite, the rooms clean, the décor is fluer de lis type, with ornate mirrors and heavy wooden desks. It is actually quite cozy in the lobby and there is an indoor pool with a slide. Pool tables are next to the pool so prepare to be sweaty if you play a game. The pool will probably be fun when it is super cold outside. The bar is next door and there are a few restaurants near by as well as Sam's Club, Target, Wal Mart. If you are a walker and like to be in a comfy forest situation or at least pleasant boulevards, this is not the place for you-there are cars, highways, and the kind of culture you will find in 80% of the rest of United States. However, the soaps here are oatmeal massage bars, the toilet paper has little corners on it and the rooms are like a cave escape from the blistering, blinding sun. Oh, and there is no SPA or do-it-yourself laundry, but there is an exercise room for you physical excess junkies.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Minnesota, United States
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Storm was moving into SD (April 8th). Got there as the storm hit. Very nice reasonably priced room.Asked about shuttle to the airport and even though their "guest book" says they offer a shuttle, we were told it was only for groups of 20 or more ended up paying $20 to get to airport on Friday. Fire alarms went off at 1:30 a.m. Monday nite. Everyone was confused and gathered in lobby. No one seemed to know what to do....turned out it was a false alarm but it took the fire dept 20 minutes to get there (storm was raging) and give all clear. I felt really sorry for the family with a baby because the alarm was piercing and of course they couldn't go outside to get away from the noise. We ended up stranded at the hotel for 3 days. Cleaning staff didn't come in on April 10th. Staff did not communicate that to us so we had to ask for clean towels. Funny they couldn't communicate that to guests because they sure slid the receipt under the door early in the day ! Maintenance tried to clean parking lot but their crappy equipment broke and so for 3 days the parking lot was full of snow. Most guests resorted to shoveling themselves out ! Upshot was that most staff was very helpful and friendly but some staff was clueless. Nice to have Perkins right there being we were snowed in . So I was grateful for a nice, clean, warm room but there were definitely drawbacks !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Gillette, WY
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

I purchased my hotel stay with Priceline for three night stay while for my daughters graduation from South Dakota School of Mines. A few days later I called the hotel and asked if they had a pet room available. She said she did and would put us in it. I asked if there was anything I needed to know about the room and she said that it was on the main floor and they had four available. I arrived on Thursday night and was then told there was a $20 per night cleaning fee. I told them I was never told of the fee and the night person said i would need to speak with Sean the manager who was there from 9 to 5 the next day. I just went to the front desk asked to speak with Sean. The gal at the front desk asked what it was pertaining to and I told her that I was a guest at the hotel and had a problem and was told I needed to speak with Sean about it. She went back into a back room and came out and said can I help you? I explained what happened and was told that the $20 per day had already been billed to my credit card and there was no way to reverse the charges. I despise when I pay for a room a head of time and then get to the hotel and then charge with additional fees. For the $20 extra a night there were plenty other hotels that did not charge for patents that I would have been more happy with the room. I will not be staying at this hotel again. I will not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We held a 2 day, 2 night Fiber Festival in the Ballroom at the hotel. We had a wonderful experience. Bob Hodet was very helpful,cheerful and quite accommodating of all our needs. He had April be our "on-site" staff person. What a pleasure to work with April. She was flexible and helped us with our needs. She was patient with a bunch of women wanting different configurations of tables and chairs at different times. The entire staff was awesome. The hotel rooms were very comfortable, and clean and convenient to our festival. We have booked the ballroom for next year as well.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business