“Rude staff, would not stay again”

Grand Gateway Hotel
Ranked #30 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
New York
“Rude staff, would not stay again”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

NOT recommended.

Summary:
- Staff: Housekeeping rude, although front desk seemed to want to help
- Facilities: Clean enough, some stains in carpet; 70s decor; Noisy
- Services: Wifi slow & unstable; no breakfast

Detail:
- Bar right next to lobby of hotel, so check in was loud. No big deal.
- Not sure if due to bar, or just general hotel clientele, but also loud in hallways; sounded like staff, as they were talking about the hotel itself
- Housekeeping knocked on door shortly before 9am (waking me up). I stated I was in the room, but she came in anyway. Another knock at 10am, and then again at 11:02 am - with the last knock being aggressive and housekeeping stating that check out is at 11am (I was already packed and about to leave)
> I also heard a conversation between housekeeping and the room next door where the housekeeper was telling the customers to leave; the husband explained his wife was sick in the bathroom and would leave in 20 minutes, but the housekeeper again explained that check out was 11 am; no compassion.
- In addition, I received a call from the front desk exactly at 11 am "just letting me know" that check out is at 11 am

We've all had housekeeping that knocks and walks in by accident, but then they usually know to stay away until after check out time. When I explained how jarring this 3 time interaction - plus phone call - was to the housekeeping staff, I got a "it was quiet in your room" and "check out is at 11am" response. I walked by another housekeeper on the way to the front desk who was carrying a vacuum. I scooted to the side and said "Pardon me", her response was "Well, sorrrrrr-y".

Wow.

I also explained that the call at 11am plus housekeepings constant knocking made a poor experience. No manager was available, and the front staff seemed nice enough, but they said, "Calling at 11am is hotel policy".

The place just lacked any warmth and is not remotely nice enough to even consider staying here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Celot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I rented a room via Travelocity and couldn't of been more impressed! We were traveling to take a school tour at the Hot Rod Institute and after traveling 17 hours this was the perfect hotel to relax in! Great location with nice, clean rooms. We even commented when we got home that we wish we could go back because of how comfortable the beds were! Will stay again for sure and will always recommend to anyone!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank BeHappy-Travel
Pocono Mountains Region, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Held our annual reunion here. It's just off the I-90, near a Walmart and other shopping. The staff could not have been more helpful, friendly or accomodating. The rooms were clean, well decored and equipped and quiet. The hotel was just the best.

Cannot say the same for the adjoining restaurant. But it is not part of the hotel. Mediocre food, poor service, high prices. Eat down the road, there are plenty of restaurants close by.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Massillon, Ohio
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This hotel was very clean and staff very polite. Nice pool and slide and nice hot tub. Liked it so much we stayed an extra night. The lobby was very elegant. The room was very spacious as was bathroom area.

Room Tip: Stayed on third floor for less noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Wyoming
Reviewed February 26, 2013

we enjoyed our stay. very clean, fancy rooms, the pool was very nice, we stayed one night and we enjoyed our stay, we would stay here again. We really like our room, it was big and the bathroom was clean,

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank kclmarshall
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Having driven from Denver to Rapid city i was tired and wanted a cosy place to sleep and chill, This place is your destination let me tell you. A warm feeling is felt the second you enter the lobby. Friendly staff, great indoor pool and slide, great sized rooms and not too far from what you go to South Dakota for. The usual american chains are within a 5 min drive, also in my opinion the biggest Walmart I've ever been too is in this town.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rohan E
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The decor was interesting and the pool was great but I was over charged significantly from the quoted rate and the staff was less than helpful in sorting out the matter after numerous phones calls to managers. I would recommend you pass on this choice for hotels because it really soured our trip.

• Stayed January 2013