“Don't even attempt to get a room before 2pm especially if you're a young traveler.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Motel 6 Rapid City

Motel 6 Rapid City
Ranked #45 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2010

yes, this is the cheapest motel we could find in the area where we got dropped off along our journey, but I was treated as if my business didn't matter to them at all. We got in town around 7am and attempted to check in I was told to come back around noon. So my traveling partner and I got some breakfast at the Arnold's diner directly behind the motel. We had to tie our dog outside while we ate, obviously. After we ate and sat around for a while we went back outside and sat with our luggage and the dog. At 11:30 I went in to check on the room. I was told to wait until 12. Went back at 12 and was told ALL the rooms were still dirty and to come back at 1. As I waited I noticed the sheer volume of rooms and how little cars were actually there. I went back at 1 and waited behind another gentlemen who had no reservation and was checking in the same as I did. He got a key and a room right away. I was then told to wait another 20 minutes, because the room was still being cleaned. I walked back to where my room was and saw the maid leaving the room and closing the door behind her. I then went back to the counter to ask if it was ready. She informed me there was still a maid in there. When I told her I saw the maid leave and that my group really needed to get out of the sun, she informed me that there are two consecutive maids that go through the rooms. I asked if there was anything else available and was told that all the smoking rooms were booked. I stated a non smoking room would be fine. The manager, Kathryne, told me all the nonsmoking rooms were full as well. I went back to check on the room and the door was still closed with noone in there. So I went back at 2 to find a line of people all checking in without reservations and they all got rooms right away. I have worked in customer service all my career and was polite, nice, and patient with the staff. There should have been no reason to treat my group like that. There is no reason that it would take 2 hours after "check out" time (12pm) at least to get just one room cleaned for us when they knew we were waiting outside of the building the entire time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Rapid City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2010

Upon entering room, it was observed the carpet had not been vacuumed, apparently in quite some time. There were urine stains in the bedcover and the mini fridge was not plugged in, so we had to re-start it. (Had to leave our milk and juice in the car, until the fridge reached operating temperature). The shower door would not stay shut and it took over 2 minutes for the hot water to kick in on the bathroom sink. (I timed this with a stop watch - 2 min, 12 secs). My wife called the front desk to see about being moved to a better room. The clerk had an apathetic attitude and made excuses for the urine stains on the bedding. He never got back to us on changing to a new room. We couldn't turn the heating fan to the low setting, because it rattled incessantly. No cellphone service at all from inside the room. We didn't even use the shower the following morning and checked out early, canceling the remainder of our stay. Went across town to a competing economy motel, and what a world of difference. We are done with Motel 6's forever!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank truthsayer50

Travelers are raving about these Rapid City hotels

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2009

stayed here for a visit to the badlands and black hills. the reception staff were extremely friendly and accomadated my request for location of the room that i wanted. the room was extremely clean and had expanded cable and hbo. no bugs sighted in the room and no mold- the room looked freshly painted. their rates are the best deal in rapid city.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank whomever
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2009

On the way to Mt. Rushmore, I stayed in Rapid City for the night. I'd intended to stay at another hotel that I called while I was on the road. However, while trying to find it I noticed the motel 6 advertising a rate of $35.95 for one person. The other hotel was about $60, so I took a chance on the Motel 6.

Lobby: For a night check there is no lobby. There is a pass-through window where you talk to the clerk who checks you in. She honored the room that was on the neon sign. So there was no bait and switched stuff going on.

Location: This hotel is very conveniently located near the I-90 East-West interstate highway.

Room: Motel 6 rooms at this hotel are directly entered to from the outside. The room was small and quite basic, but upon clean inspection with my high powered LED flashlight, I concluded that it was clean and there was nothing to worry about from a hygienic perspective.

Bed: The bed was a little bit lumpy, but not enough to be a problem at 1am in the morning when you've been driving 9 straight. The bathroom was adequately stocked and I found no issues with it either.

Surroundings: This is in with a cluster of other brand name hotels. There are several foods places nearby and some as close as across the street. Perkins', which does a really good breakfast is one block away.

For the price it was a bargain. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Lifetraveler1
wyoming
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2008

My husband and I just happend to go to Rapid City during the week of the sturgis motorcycle rally. The room was very over priced for the type of motel it is. Check in was fine, so was first nights sleep. When we woke up, there were little black "night beetles" all over the bathroom floor. When we told them they basically wrote it off as no big deal. Second night stay we had bigger "night beetles" crawing on us in bed, and on the floor of the room as well as the bathroom. I went to the office and all they could offer was a 35% refund for the second night... We will never agian stay at that motel 6.

• Liked — easy access to surrounding buisnesses
  • Disliked — the bugs in the room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2008

Wow... looking back at an old receipt I can't believe my one night stay here was less than $33.

So what does $33 buy you? A clean room, with clean sheets and a hot shower.

Did I use the pool, laundry machine, or needed assistance from the front desk? No.

Did I get a good night's rest? Yes.

There was a Walmart, a mall, and plenty of restaurants nearby. I had no problems with this motel and would stay here again.

• Liked — Located to many restaurants and shopping areas
  • Disliked — Exterior noise easily permeated the room
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank TheAnswer
Motel_6_manager, Manager at Motel 6 Rapid City, responded to this review, June 22, 2008
Hi,
I am the new manager at this property, and I thank you for your nice review. We are cleaning things up and we now have friendly and helpful staff. For all others, please give us a second chance so that we can show you the difference. Tell them that Fran sent you!
Toledo, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2007

As a budget traveler, I have never had such an adverse reaction to a hotel. I would not stay at this Motel 6 again. Rooms are tiny. Carpets dirty. Shower temperature varied widely from icy cold to steaming hot. No cots. No space for a cot anyway! Did not get extra pillow we asked for. Surly desk help. On the bright side, they did have coin laundry right across from the pool so I could throw in a load while the kids swam, and stay out of the room. Rooms in Rapid City are on the high side, but this is not a good place to try to cut some vacation cost!

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Room size, shower, dirty carpet.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank familyville