“Nice recently remodeled rooms for excellent price!”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #37 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
“Nice recently remodeled rooms for excellent price!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there on a trip to Mt. Rushmore and it was great! The rooms are nicely furnished and roomy. My children LOVED the waterside at the pool!!! The breakfast was ok. It was super crowded both mornings we were there and the staff struggled to keep up with the demand. That would be my only negative about our experience.

• Stayed June 2013
jcarda, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
I am enthused that you loved the new decor of our new rooms. It was such an amazing experience watching something being transformed in such a dramatic and positive way. So many return customers have come in and sat in amazement at what has now become the New Econo Lodge. Guest upon guest have told us that this is the nicest Econo Lodge they have ever stayed in. That is a wonderful feeling to know that we could be a part of that transformation. We work very hard each and every day to try and maintain that new standard and quality the new owners have allowed us to iterate and serve our guests. We recognize that we still have a few minor flaws to work out and some of that is due to the increase of demand and supply. Trust me when I say that the breakfast issues are currently being addressed because our focus and goal is to be able to have our customers leave fully enjoying every detail of their stay.
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our hotel and relaying such wonderful comments. These types of comments are what make my coffee taste so wonderful in the morning;)

Jamie Rose Carda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Missouri
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Checked in for our 3 night stay and were met by two friendly faces. I had asked for a quiet room and was told that we would be happy with their choice.

The Good: The place has been remoldeld and looks good inside. The room looked great with a new 42" TV, frig and microwave. The location was a snap to find with plently of resturants around.
The Bad: the pool is way to small for the number of rooms and with all the families it was impossible to enjoy any of it. The curtains in the rooms are to short, allowing too much light in for those wanting to sleep past 6 am. Bath towels are over size hand towels. Breakfast was just OK, but it was complimentary so could not fault them too much.
The Ugly: Stayed on the 2nd floor and could hear every footstep above us, horrible. It was so loud we thought they might acutally come through the ceiling. The worst of all, they do not change sheets between guests. We found hairs on the sheets of the bed, that were not ours. I stripped both beds and the pillows when we left so hopefully the next ones in will get clean sheets.
I applaud them doing the renovations, but fear the age of the propertly will never let them achieve their hope of being anything more than a 3 star property.

Room Tip: If you can't stay on the top floor do not book. Also check sheets and pillows carefully.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dan L
jcarda, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
I am happy that you like the decor of the new rooms. One suggestion that I have for you when staying at any hotel would be to stay on the highest floor if this is to be an option. Many hotels that I have stayed at, I never knew when there would be children more energetic than myself staying above me. This is where I always place my parents when they come to visit me. They now request this themselves when they stay at other hotels.
As far as the bedding issue goes, I was made aware of this several days after this review. If you look at the review prior to this, another guest comments on how we were short staffed and trying to keep up while my staff kept being apologetic to those trying to check into rooms. Behind the scenes of a hotel could definitely be a television series some days. I had to let a couple of staff members go because they felt this was the type of service I would allow in my hotel. These two staff members were family to four other staff members shorting us six at one time. The issue has been resolved and I apologize deeply. As soon as I am made aware of the issue I make sure that it is handled and resolved. This is not something that will be tolerated. I try to picture myself as the guest in each and every situation. Sometimes the day becomes long but in the end service is what is at the core of the hotel’s goal.
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and concerns. Without them we would not know what improvements would make our guests' stay more enjoyable and relaxing.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We ended up here through the "name your price" function on priceline and were nervous to see what we got for our low bid...however we were pleasantly surprised to see very nice accomodations..the decor made it feel like you were at home! If The ac units aren't terribly effective though. Breakfast area gets a little crowded. No major complaints though. Being on a somewhat unmapped roadtrip, we only booked a single night but decided to book another. Good experience, value, and friendly staff..fun pool...if ever in the area again we'll likely stay here!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank gaertnerlm
jcarda, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
That is terrific that you felt you paid what the room is worth. The unmapped road trips are always the best. I do know what you mean by being nervous about the bidding sights though. I have never had anyone disappointed when bidding and then arriving to this hotel. My front desk staff alone usually makes the stay worth it! They are one of the happiest crew I have had in awhile. They make me extremely proud and the reviews here on tripadvisor.com prove it again and again.
Thank you for taking the time to reach out and tell us what you noticed about our hotel. We can't wait till we see you again!

Bainbridge Island
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have failed Travel 101. My not-so-pleasant stay at the Econolodge taught me to rely on past reviews. The elevator was broken, there were no bathroom towels (discovered while dripping wet), a broken coffee pot (a new one never arrived even after a request), and coffee that tasted like hot chocolate ( I suspect they used the same urn the night before for hot chocolate), no AC in the 3 story hotel hallways, and a broken ice maker. Other than that, a fine establishment!

Room Tip: Read reviews!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
jcarda, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
I feel terrible that your stay was far below your (and my) expectations. I know many managers may reply with numerous excuses but I have none. The ice machine that was less than a year old started to fail only putting out small quantities of ice. When I called the vendor to come and fix it since it was on warranty they told me they would be out in about a week! I was not at all happy about this, especially having a house of 118 rooms full of guests every night, but there was nothing that I could do.
I am sorry that housekeeping had missed your room when it came to linens. Since this was an issue, I came to the realization that while they were waiting on laundry it was causing error if they had to return later in the day to replenish linens that were being waited on. To correct this error we put in an order which was over $3,000.
In reference to the elevator, it was down for a short period but it was up and going within 2 hours. We have a contract with Kone and they were very prompt.
As far as the coffee maker, it was delayed in responding to your needs and I feel terrible about the negligence on our behalf, especially after so many other issues that you had to encounter.
If there is any way that I can make it up to you I wish that you would call the hotel personally so I can find your reservation and discuss it with you personally. I have went ahead and addressed all the issues individually but I have not been able to make it up to you personally, the guest, so to me this still leaves an issue unresolved. I am very sorry and if there is anything that I can do for you please do not hesitate to contact me.

Travelers are raving about these Rapid City hotels

Brighton, Colorado, United States
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The hotel is nice inside! The staff is friendly but need some training. Check in and check out was taking about 20 minutes a person. The manager Jamie is horrible, due to this I will never stay there again. She has no clue what she is doing. I made reservations for 2 rooms one with a dog one without. She didn't listen and when I got there they put me in a room that pets weren't accepted in. She then texted my phone to say I needed to be back ASAP and change rooms. We were tired and hungry, it was so inconvinent. They then said I would need to pay $60 more than quoted for a pet room. She was rude and made my stay horrible. Why they keep someone like her as a manager is still a mystery. If it wasn't for her it would be a great place. They were also understaffed, she kept saying that. Why would you fill all the rooms if you can't staff the hotel? At 3:30, after check in time rooms were still not ready or cleaned! They offer breakfast but if you are not up when it opens it is gone and not kept stocked.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lopezfamily924
jcarda, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Ms. Bravo,

I am speechless as to what to say. I tried to call you several times to speak to you personally and finally had to leave you with a text. I didn't request that you made it a priority to stop everything and come directly back to the hotel and move your pet. Your text stated that you would do it after you finished dinner and I was fine with that. You were never charged for the upgrade in room or for the pet fee. Some of my quests that stay in these rooms have severe allergies, and one just two days ago had a breathing apparatus delivered to them. These are the customers that I have to keep in mind and that is why we have specially designated pet rooms. I know that unless someone works or walks in ones shoes daily it might be hard to understand fully why they may implement certain rules and policies. Beyond words I am horribly sorry to have created a stay so undesirable because you had to move your dog into a pet room which created such negative emotions that caused you to report and perceive me publicly to Choice Hotels in the words that you depicted me in. That was not my intention. I worked almost every day that week from 8 a.m. till 10:30 p.m. I wish you would have stopped by my office and shared your concern with me. I would have been more than happy to explain it to you and make it up to you.

For your troubles and animosity I would like to comp one full night. I know this may not fully make it up to you but I hope it helps. I am truly sorry. I honestly meant no harm. Daily I have 118 rooms full of guests whose welfare I try to watch out for. My hours are only supposed to be from 9 to 5. I work the hours I do because I love my job and I love my staff and my guests even more. Your words severely affected me. I hope next time you will take the time to approach someone and give them the time to explain. I did not know you were arriving with a pet and I did not put you in that room.

Please accept my apology and my sincerest regards,

With Warm Regards and Wishes,

Berkeley, CA
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The Econo Lodge is a really nice, well-appointed hotel just off Interstate 90 in Rapid City. The rooms are comfortable with in-room microwave, refrigerator, and coffee maker. Wifi was free and fast, and there were many readily accessible electrical outlets to plug in my phone/computer/camera. The bathrooms are up to date, with great lighting. I booked this room on Priceline at the last minute for $90+tax and felt this was a great value at that price point. I also stayed across the street at the Ramkota later in the week, and the Econo Lodge was a much more comfortable room with more amenities for a better value.

The hotel also provides free continental breakfast with coffee, juice, waffles, pastries, fruit, toast, and cereal. The only downside is that the room where breakfast is served is small, and when I went down for breakfast 20 minutes after the service began, there was not enough seating.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Pakkoku
jcarda, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
I am very pleased you took pictures of what our rooms really look like. Many times people will make a camera accessible after a room is stayed in and their personal items are astray. You made our rooms look better than the contractors we paid a high price for;) Thank you!
I am glad that we made your experience an enjoyable one. It makes me smile when my customers smile. I have had the option to move my office to a different location but I prefer to have my office close to the lobby. It helps me keep an eye on things and it also allows the customers direct access to my office if they have any comments or just want to stop in and say hi. You'd be surprised at how many do.
Thank you for your insight and we hope to see you again if you are ever out this way again.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Nicest Econo Lodge I've ever seen and definitely the nicest I've stayed in. The hotel employees are very hospitable and helpful. The minimum character expectations on this site are kinda a pain though but apparently the hotel is deserving enough for me to go through this extra typing. ;)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
jcarda, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
I love your personality and I want to thank you so much for your response. A little humor goes a long way my grandmother use to say. I am highly jovial that you enjoyed your stay and I wish all our customers shared your enthusiasm about our establishment.
We hope to see you again soon and happy travels kind sir:)