“Better than average value”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
Berkeley, CA
“Better than average value”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The Econo Lodge is a really nice, well-appointed hotel just off Interstate 90 in Rapid City. The rooms are comfortable with in-room microwave, refrigerator, and coffee maker. Wifi was free and fast, and there were many readily accessible electrical outlets to plug in my phone/computer/camera. The bathrooms are up to date, with great lighting. I booked this room on Priceline at the last minute for $90+tax and felt this was a great value at that price point. I also stayed across the street at the Ramkota later in the week, and the Econo Lodge was a much more comfortable room with more amenities for a better value.

The hotel also provides free continental breakfast with coffee, juice, waffles, pastries, fruit, toast, and cereal. The only downside is that the room where breakfast is served is small, and when I went down for breakfast 20 minutes after the service began, there was not enough seating.

1 Thank Pakkoku
jcarda, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
I am very pleased you took pictures of what our rooms really look like. Many times people will make a camera accessible after a room is stayed in and their personal items are astray. You made our rooms look better than the contractors we paid a high price for;) Thank you!
I am glad that we made your experience an enjoyable one. It makes me smile when my customers smile. I have had the option to move my office to a different location but I prefer to have my office close to the lobby. It helps me keep an eye on things and it also allows the customers direct access to my office if they have any comments or just want to stop in and say hi. You'd be surprised at how many do.
Thank you for your insight and we hope to see you again if you are ever out this way again.

Jamie Rose Carda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Nicest Econo Lodge I've ever seen and definitely the nicest I've stayed in. The hotel employees are very hospitable and helpful. The minimum character expectations on this site are kinda a pain though but apparently the hotel is deserving enough for me to go through this extra typing. ;)

jcarda, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
I love your personality and I want to thank you so much for your response. A little humor goes a long way my grandmother use to say. I am highly jovial that you enjoyed your stay and I wish all our customers shared your enthusiasm about our establishment.
We hope to see you again soon and happy travels kind sir:)

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed June 13, 2013

While my two best friends and I were biking from Grand Rapids, MI to the Pacific Ocean in Oregon, my father and grandmother met us in Rapid City and we stayed at the EconoLodge. Overall I am very satisfied with my stay. Our rooms were clean, comfortable, and accommodating.

The pool area is a blast, with a sizable water slide, hot tub, and an extra hour from 10pm-11pm for 21+. We joyfully used the pool at least once a day. The pool itself could stand to be a bit larger and deeper, but all of our joy came from the water slide and hot tub anyways so pool size didn't make much of a difference.

Staff was outstanding for the duration of our stay. To be completely honest, we are an easy pleasing group, but even so, any requests we had were handled promptly and efficiently. When my key card didn't work, a young maintenance man who happened to be walking by offered assistance. Kudos to the front desk staff especially. Lots of traffic in and out constantly, phone calls, lobby upkeep, and they still maintain a helpful and friendly demeanor. Carrie assisted me several times throughout the week and was a standout in friendliness, competence, service, and charm.

Lastly, the breakfast. Now, I'm a breakfast connoisseur, so perhaps a bit critical but I'll be fair. Now at first, the spread felt underwhelming to me. However, after eating it for five days in a row, I didn't get sick of it at all. In my mind, you can't go wrong with a homemade waffle, peanut butter, and syrup. No problem here. Also, the biscuits, gravy, and hard boiled eggs on the side/mixed in were delicious. Only two cereals to choose from, but I still enjoyed them. Additional options included a selection of muffins/pastries, assorted fruit, and bread/english muffins for toasting. Overall, my eyes were underwhelmed by the spread but after five days eating it I still woke up excited for breakfast and I felt that my stomach and pallet were happily satisfied.

Also worthy of note regarding breakfast: Staff works very hard keeping the breakfast area clean, organized, and stocked throughout the breakfast period from 6:30am-9:30am.

Location: Good selection of restaurants/shopping in the area, easy access to/from Highway 90 but no noise heard from the highway at the hotel, Boston's Restaurant across the street has a pretty good late night happy hour from 10:00pm-2:00am (half of 16oz drafts, personal pizzas, certain appetizers).

Overall I was absolutely satisfied with my stay at the EconoLodge in Rapid City, SD and would recommend it for your stay in Rapid City.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
jcarda, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
I remember you quite well and so does the rest of my staff. You made quite the impression on us. One of the last and only things you said to me is that, "I left a detailed review for you on Tripadvisor.com just to let you know how much I appreciated your hotel and its staff."
I waited to see exactly what you might have to say about us. When it finally posted I was amazed and you made Ms. Carrie smile ear to ear on the kind comments and regards you had to say. We appreciated your amazing personality and all the interesting stories that you bestowed upon us while you were here. It is not often that a customer is friendly enough to share his stories and grace his presence amongst us. You really did have a unique and authentic aura about yourself that leaves a wonderful impression long after you have departed.
We really did appreciate the detailed review and I honestly don't think that a journalist could have done a better job. I hope that your trip was filled with adventure and culture, and above all, I hope you met people along the way that left as positive impression on you as you did on us.
Thank you and may you travel safe.

Sioux Falls, SD
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We own a construction company and frequently stay at the Econo Lodge. The staff is extremely friendly and our overall experience has been enjoyable. We highly recommend this hotel for all of your lodging needs.

jcarda, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
How privileged are we to have someone who likes us enough to come back on a regular basis! This tells us that we are doing our job the way that we should be. These are some of the guests that I enjoy the most because you get to know them on a more personal level where you can joke and laugh with them. These are the ones that I have the most fun with at times. Thank you for all your business. It is most appreciated and I mean that with the deepest of sincerity.

Yankton, South Dakota
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Over the years I have stayed at a number of Hotels in the Black Hills.By chance stopped at Econo Lodge.The best decision I have made recently.The rooms were spotless.Unlike many
other hotels the staff made the room look like we had never been there on the second day..
The staff was very courteous and helpful.Special Kudos to the general manager Jamie who was very helpful in assistanting me .The attitude of the staff was so refreshing in comparison to other Hotels in the area.I highly recommend Econo Lodge..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
jcarda, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
I always ask my staff to make my stay overs look the most important because they are the customers that are devoting more time into us than anyone else. You are the first to ever comment on that and that is a fantastic feeling. Thank you for the personal comment too towards myself! That also is a highlight. Sometimes you don't know if you are doing your job to those that you serve. When you are a leader you are never honestly the boss... You are constantly serving those around you to make them strong so they can lead adequately... Ironic is it not?
Thank you for your comment and I can not wait for your return service!

Orlando
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

This was not what I remember an Econo Lodge being!! With some friendly persuasion from General Manager Jamie I agreed to give it a try. What a surprise!

Rooms were large and very nicely appointed. What I would expect to see in a much higher priced property. Another nice surprise was the hot tub! Spent some time there for sure!!

When I woke up the next morning to snow and ice, I decided there was nothing to do but go back to the hot tub and stay another day.

I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2013
I loved your comment probably more than any of my customers. You went above and beyond! I ended up being one of your weather forecasters... I ended up being hammered with the mass confusion of summer approaching and now haven't talked to you in awhile..
Mr. photojo I hope that you are still doing well and that your travels have done you even better... for all the tripadvisors that I have ever answered I hope that you know that yours was the most deserved and I mean that graciously and with a bow...

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We do a lot of traveling for our company and have never come across such wonderful service as we did during our 2 different stays at this EconoLodge. From the management to housekeeping, all staff were professional and friendly. Thier consistant outward show of courtesy and professionalism to all of their guests is phenomenal. The hotel itself has recently been updated beautifully making thier accomodations much more pleasurable. In addition to a nice environment, their amenities: indoor pool, wifi, breakfast, etc, left nothing to be desired. Our crew, and myself, are extremely satisfied. Our only complaint is that we cant this Econolodge and its staff on all of our out of town trips!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
jcarda, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
First and foremost, I would like to take the time as you did to say thank you for complimenting our hotel. We take a lot of pride in the customers and their needs. It is always soooo rewarding when a customer takes the time to write a review about what they found most pleasureable in our hotel. I noticed that you have given our hotel return service and that is amazing. You are very appreciated! Thank you for your repeated business and thank you for your considerate and wonderful review here on TripAdvisor.com! I hope to see you here again!