“A real budget gem!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn I-90

You added Comfort Inn I-90 to your Saves list
Comfort Inn I-90
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1550 North LaCrosse St, Exit 59 off I-90 - South on LaCrosse St, Rapid City, SD 57701   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Rapid City
Thornton, Colorado
“A real budget gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

In the budget category - this hotel was a real gem. We stayed in one of their family "suites" for an incredible on-season price and enjoyed very comfortable, clean, roomy and well kept accommodations. Everything worked, everything was generous. The sound protection in the room was outstanding. The air conditioning was spectacular for multiple 105 deg F days in a row. The beds were adequately comfortable. The bathroom was perfectly good enough.

When I take in the context of price, location and season and add-in the value we received for the room, the building, the incredible breakfast and most of all the A+ friendly over-the-top service - this becomes a five-star experience for my family.

Greatest Pros:
* Service
* Price/Value
* Breakfast
* The rooms in general
* Location: The hotel is right in the middle of tons of nearby services and shops you might want to access. It's ridiculously convenient. Rapid City itself is a great "base" for a SD vacation.

Areas that could use some improvement:
* Pool: I can appreciate that there is no hotel budget for lifeguards and that the staff are very busy attending to guests... but when the pool is overrun by 10-year-old jerks who's parents aren't around and are running and canon-ball jumping into the pool from every direction, it's sort-of hard for anyone else to enjoy it. I'm not sure how a hotel staff would address this kind-of a sensitive issue without ticking off the families that were implicated in bad behavior but the other families in the hotel are certainly disappointed when they can't swim.

One more additional note: I can't say enough good things about every single staff person we encountered. All of them from the front desk through the maid-service seemed totally friendly, approachable, and committed to customer satisfaction in every way. I particularly enjoyed the kindly older lady (probably a property owner?) who walked around the breakfast area engaging with customers in a personal way.

I traveled with family this time for a vacation - boys 6 and 8, my wife and I, her parents.

Room Tip: Ask for the two-room suite - it's the best deal in the newest part of the hotel.
1 Thank otter77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We enjoyed our stay here, I liked that it was away from Mt. Rushmore as you did not have a million kids running through the hallways. The pool was cold but we loved the hot tube. The breakfast area was clean and filled with fresh food. The room was nice although a bit outdated. I would definitely stay there again.

If you want to see Mt. Rushmore at night also, it is 30 minutes away at the light show does not start until 9-930.

Kingsport, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Decorations and quality are a little dated; noisy window-type air conditioners which were hard to regulate. Did not have a clean odor in room. Beds were of average comfort. Fair location to see Mt. Rushmore area. Stayed two nights.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Sade37664
Spearfish, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Even though I live very close in Spearfish, South Dakota.. I stayed at this hotel last weekend after having a horrible flight experience in Minneapolis. Ended up calling off my trip and coming back home, and ride was not able to come back and get me until the next day so, I checked in here for some much needed rest.

Airport shuttle took me here in a breeze! Shuttle is not free though, cost is almost $9, but they will add it onto your hotel bill.

Hotel front desk staff was very nice. They could clearly see how exhausted I was and let me check in early at about noon! Hotel is close to many places to eat and also close to Wal Mart.

Room was very lovely. Clean and nicely decorated. Air conditioner was super cold! It was like heaven! Room had a safe in it, which I didn't use (tell them the next day and they'll take that charge off of your bill).

Pool and hot tub was very fun and relaxing!

Breakfast was delicious and well staffed. Such a huge variety of foods to eat. Surely something for everyone. Only complaint is they need more tables and eating areas! Place was packed!

Overall and nice place in a great location. Lacross Street is super busy, but I didn't hear a sound!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Fenton, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Our family stayed for two nights in the fine establishment. Breakfast was plentiful and well staffed. The highlight came when exploring the Black Hills, I could not find my new iphone. On the chance I had left it in the room, I called the front desk and Luke took it upon himself to check. Lo, and behold he found it, and made my day. Thank you for this service beyond the call of duty.
Mark B.

Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Thought the hotel was great place to stay. The rooms and hallways were clean and nice. Breakfast was good and well kept/maintained. Pool was nice temp (kind of small, but that is my opinion). Definitely would stay here again!

Room Tip: A nice feature are that some rooms on the ground floor have their own outside door that you can park...
naples
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

a fairly new comfort inn. Staff friendly and the typical continental breakfast. no complaints on this one

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family