“BW Ramkota Inn - Rapid City, SD”

Best Western Ramkota Hotel
Ranked #24 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
Denver, Colorado
“BW Ramkota Inn - Rapid City, SD”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Large, spacious tastefully decorated rooms with Western/Native American motiff gives it a local feel. Very comfortable beds and pillows, new thick towels, very clean. BW Ramkota - Rapid City looks recently updated - very impressed. Large indoor pool is nice although onsite "water park" is rather lame. Several reviews comment on lack of hot water in morning but I did not experience this. Shower was invigurating with a great adjustable showerhead.

It would have been nice if coupons were provided to discount breakfast at onsite restaurant since free continental kreakfast isn't offered here.

I stayed at this property due to a Pricline bid - excellent value for what I paid compared to other lodgings at I-90, exit 59. Best Western was very nice, I'd definately stay again and recommend others to stay here.

Room Tip: Building E closest to interestate so expect some noise but ot bad, especially with A/C on.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
JGustin, General Manager at Best Western Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for the review! Hope to have you as our guest again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
East Saint Louis, Illinois
Reviewed June 3, 2013

After reading the reviews from others regarding this hotel, I was very skeptical prior to arrival. We checked in and once to our room we examined the room very carefully. Other than our toilet leaking making our floor wet, the room smelling like a combination of a wet dog and carpet that has been urinated on, the room wasn't as bad as I expected. I noticed the tile in the shower was also cracked and broken where the shower curtain was attached. This hotel clearly needs a remodel job and needs to clean it up.

Saturday afternoon there was one of the hotel staff members children running wild around the hotel waterpark (approx. 4 yrs old) with no supervision. He kept taking our pool toys without asking and eventually just left after I repeatedly told him to stop. Later I saw this same child riding the luggage carts, with who I assume was his father (he was a hotel employee, I saw he was dressed up and wearing a name tag) pushing him through the halls. There were plenty of pool towels on Saturday afternoon but when we went back to the pool on Sunday morning there weren't any towels.

I attempted to speak to the front desk employees however I was ignored. I was standing there while one was on the phone and the other started to help me until the phone rang and then she just quickly walked away without saying anything and answered the phone. Then a third employee came to the desk and started helping me but when she heard what I was asking she just ignored me and started talking to one of the other employees on the phone. I was appauled at the treatment from them and we will not be returning to this hotel.

They also need to repair the parking lot. There are huge potholes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
JGustin, General Manager at Best Western Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
So sorry we have disappointed you. We take pride in offering an outstanding experience for each of our guests and regret to read of your experience. I certainly hope you will give us another opportunity to have you as our guest -

Travelers are raving about these Rapid City hotels

Holiday, Florida
Reviewed May 30, 2013

An indoor pool, great restaurant with room service and waterslide park all under one roof. It is very busy and well maintained. Easy access to interstate and lots of parking.The beds are very comfy and the water is always hot!

Room Tip: There are no elevators.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
JGustin, General Manager at Best Western Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
So glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to having you as our guest again!
Mobridge, South Dakota
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I know we were there in Memorial Day weekend but the cost did not match the amenities. We ended up with the Executive Suite which was the last couple rooms that had. On first walking in the door I thought wow this is nice and then the reality set in. The first thing my wife noticed was the toilet was filthy, she ended up cleaning it with a paper towel before she would use it. We then changed into our swimming suit and went to the pool right away. The floors at the pool were super slippery, they didn't put much thought into what they put down for floor covering around the pool; I even saw a kid slip and fall just walking into the door, he wasn't running or anything. They would not let my little girl go down the water slide while riding on my lap and she was to little to go her self so that was a bust and the water slide in the kids area wasn't much better. When she used that it ended above her head so she wouldn't go down it so all she did was splash around a bit. It said the pool closed at 10 o'clock at about 10 minutes too the staff pretty much came in shut the play area off and turned the lights off. The towel rack was completely empty also so we had to walk back to our room completely wet. Once back in the room I realized the a/c was off I turned it on and it kind of worked. To make matters even better my wife got up in the middle of the night and used the rest room and the toilet wouldn't stop running. I had to get up and take the back off the toilet and fix it. Would recommend staying some where else unless you want diy repairs in the middle of the night!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dakgypsies02
So sorry we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay with us. We take pride in providing outstanding customer service and regret, for you, we missed the mark. Thank you for sharing your concerns -
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

After my stay here I feel nauseated and very disgusted at how my family was treated. It's one of those situations where if someone would offer my family to stay here for free I would reject them and pay full price anywhere else at this point.

First bad sign was the fact that when we arrived around 4:50 pm with our luggage in tow and we were told our room was a long distance away and on the second floor to which there are NO Elevators too. We ask for assistance and we were informed they had just released the bellman. Who does that at prime check in time?! I was not the only one who was upset in the long line of arrivals.

We got to our room and it was hot and dusty. It honestly smelled like it hasn't been opened up in months. I turned on the air and opened the balcony door. In the bathroom I noticed dust and dirt in the bathtub which is icky but with a twist of the shower handle it was gone. No biggy.

Thankfully we stayed out of our room most of the day but on our second (and last night) I spilled some of my light beer on the floor and threw a bath towel on top of it to dry it up. The towel started to turn black in parts which made me back off gagging. I have no idea what it is. Dirt? Vomit? Dust? Poop? No one knows but I do know my two year old son touched this disgusting carpet and that sent me over the edge. I looked under the table and against the edges and the carpet is covered in dirt! I took a white cloth to it and lightly dragged it across. Ew is all I can say!! Behind the tv we saw dried on crusted food on the walls and that was it!

I went down and brought the front desk girl the towel and asked her for a response. She said she would get a manager or a Matienece person right away. 2 hours and 3 phone calls down there demanding someone to show up so I can get my kid to bed, a Matienece guys shows up with towels.

I called down demanding an explanation to why she would send towels for my situation. She mentioned I asked for some cause there was none at the pool. That wasnt me... I told her that would do nothing to clean my room. She then told me he was suppose to bring a vacuum. What could would a vacuum do? Then the story chsnged... he was suppose to bring a carpet cleaner now... the matience man was now suppose to clean the carpet.

And let us stay there with wet carpets and fumes at 10pm at night? With a two year old and an asthmatic mother?!

She then admitted there was no manager one duty.

So instead of handling it she jerked a mother around making her two year old stay up past hus much needed bed time in a disgusting room. She should have moved us at the least!

She said she would have the manager call us in the morning. I'm not holding my breath after what she did. I think it was purposeful that she got me to go back to the room to wait for this "solution" rather than deal with it. That, in my book, is the worst!!

And for the parents out there who are wondering if the pool is worth the worth the bad review... No! There are better ones. Live and learn right?

I also will include a picture of the towel.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Britannialee
So sorry you did not enjoy your stay - we regret we have let you down and hope to have another chance to offer you our well known customer service!
Dakota Dunes, South Dakota
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We bought a waterpark package for the first night of summer break and their water park was not open. Fortunately we were able to get rooms at th Watiki water park just and exit away for the next night or our kids would have been very disappointed. The room was ok - but I can't get past the false advertising. They have a waterpark - but it was never open during out stay. Shame on you Best Western.

• Stayed May 2013
JGustin, General Manager at Best Western Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Oh my goodness - what a goof on our part! I sincerely apologize and regret the waterpark was not open!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Good place to stop for a night with a pet. Rates were reasonable and the facilities good for dog walking. Restaurant was empty at 7:30 pm., which speaks louder than any comments here. The room was a bit smelly...probably needs to have carpet replaced. Beds were comfortable. Not sure we would choose this place again unless it gets an update.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
JGustin, General Manager at Best Western Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
So sorry we disappointed you -