“Staff Unhelpful Property Needs Work”

Best Western Ramkota Hotel
Ranked #21 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Williams, AZ
“Staff Unhelpful Property Needs Work”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I am a single mother if three children, born and raised in Rapid City. I flew back from Arizona for my mother's wedding the last Saturday in September and then to run the crazy horse half marathon the following Sunday with my mom, her new husband and my sisters.

When I checked in Saturday evening I was not guaranteed a late check-out but I was told by Breanne that it shouldn't be a problem because the hotel was not that full Sunday night. She said it was up to housekeeping and that I should check in the morning. I asked her how late the "late checkout" would be. She told me 2:00pm before I would be charged $25.

At 6:00am I left my kids in the room with their grandpa (who arrived on a motorcycle had no way of transporting all of them). I stopped at the front desk to make arrangements for a late checkout and was told that there was NO WAYI could get a late checkout. When I repeated what I had been told, she first told me that it was up to housekeeping, but she didn't tell me how or when I could contact them, or offer to contact them herself. She then said there were too many rooms to clean and late checkout is noon.

So there I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. The race was to start at 8 am at Crazy Horse and finish after noon in Hill City. There was no way I would make it back in time. I could stay back and miss the race (1/2 the reason I flew from Arizona) or I could buy another nights stay which I really couldn't afford. Had I known earlier that it wouldn't work, I would have swapped vehicles and packed up so my dad could leave with the kids by 11.

So, as I ran down the trail I made reservations for another nights stay. When I returned I ran the story past the fresh desk staff and they told me that I should have been able to get a late checkout.
Late checkouts are not uncommon requests and a simple yes or no would have made my stay 1000 times better from the beginning. Customer service that recognizes unique situations and rises above and beyond makes me want to positively rave. Instead I dropped an extra $90 and the 0 entry pool area was in a sad state. The big slides weren't operating and half of the prirate ship was taped off with caution tape. I was given the contact info for the operations manager and let her know about my unsatisfactory experience. I never received a reply back. I am not sure I can recommend your hotel to anyone else.

Hopefully this can be a learning opportunity for you and your staff

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank AZCubLover
Veronica S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
First let me apoligize for the unpleasant experience that you had during your stay with us. We strive to make every guest's stay with us a good one. I would be happy to speak with you more on this situation and see what we can do to rectify this. I can be reached at (605) 343-8550 ext. 3012 and would gladly talk to you in more detail. Thank You for your comments and we will be talking to the front desk staff in regards to this stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Lone Tree, Colorado, United States
Reviewed October 17, 2012

There are many other hotels in the area. We will choose another one next time. The "waterpark" was closed 2 of the 4 nights, there was no breakfast and the pull-out sofa was extremely uncomfortable for the kids. On the plus side, they had flat screen tv's and our room had a very nice jacuzzi tub. We also liked the microwave and fridge.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Veronica S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank You for your comments in regard to your recent stay with us. We strive to make everyones experience special and are very sorry that we did not meet your expections and I will share with our management staff your concerns. We hope to have you as our guest again in hopes of rectifying the situation. Thank You again for your comments
Winnipeg
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on a vacation to the Black Hills in early October. The front desk staff member who checked us in was not friendly or helpful. Thankfully, we did not have to deal with the front desk for the rest of our trip. The room was comfortable but for a 4 day stay, a refridgerator would have been nice. The beds were clean and had plenty of pillows. The internet worked fine in our area of the hotel and the rooms were quiet at night. The only complaint with the room would be the bathroom. The bathtubs in our room were the most uncomfortable that I had ever been in. The shower head dripped which, no matter where you pointed it, resulted in a puddle on the floor by the door. The handle on the toilet stuck as well so there were some minor maintenance fixes required. Regardless of these minor issues, this hotel provided a great starting point for exploring the Black Hills. Would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Veronica S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
First I would like to Thank You for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. We strive to make ever guests experience a good one. I am sorry that your experience with us was not a memorable one. I will be speaking with our housekeeping and maintenance managers in regards to your stay. Will also be speaking to the front desk in regards to your stay. We hope to have you as our guest in the future to rectify your stay with us
Great Falls, Montana, United States
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I was driving to Rapid City and decided to stay the night, I didn't have a hotel booked anywhere. I called several places and most were booked up. I called Best Western Ramkota Hotel, their rate was decent and the gal on the phone very helpful with directions and very friendly.
Got up to my room, I was on the second floor. (Only bad thing is NO elevator) but the steps are large and not steep, I think it would be easy for just about anyone. The room was very nice. Each bed had six pillows on them. In one corner was a really nice relaxing chair with an ottoman to sit in. There was also a very nice and chair to sit at do work or read. The bed was very comfortable. The room was large in size and it didn’t feel cramped to walk around in and everything was very clean.
Although it was a quick overnight stay I spoke with several staff members in passing and they were very nice, all of them acknowledged me and said hi.
They do not offer a continental breakfast, But they do a have very nice restaurant attached and very easy to get to. It’s right by the lobby. They had reasonable prices and the food was great. The staff there was also great. Very friendly when being seated, waited on and when I paid my bill.

They are located right next to the highway and within 5 miles there is some great shopping and great places to eat. To name a few: Olive Garden. Red Lobster, Applebee’s, a Steak house but I can’t remember the name. Also several fast food places. The shopping is Toys R Us, Sears, Hobby Lobby these three were right across the parking lot, and there was also a movie theatre across the parking lot. Cabala was about 2 miles away and a large mall that had a TJ Max and several other places. Very close to great places to eat and shopping.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Veronica S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind remarks. We work hard to make your experience with us as satisfactory as possible and appreciate the time you took to give us your feedback. Your feedback will be shared with our management team. We hope to see you again soon!
Erie, Colorado
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed at this Best Western to attend a conference from 9/22 to 9/27. The room was clean and quiet, and the beds and pillows comfortable. The drapes effectively blocked the background light at night. There was no microwave or refrigerator in our room. The wi-fi signal was strong, and using a vpn was no problem. The HVAC unit worked well and was not objectionably noisy. There was no armchair in the room. The conference facilities were adequate, and the staff were capable and friendly. There is a pool, hot tub, and an indoor water park, all well-maintained with good hours. We had several good dinners at the restaurant, either through conference events or individually in the restaurant. The motel is just off I-90, and convenient to the Black Hills. The Mobil station next door offers a discount to motel patrons, but you have to ask for it in advance. On the negative side, this is absolutely the most confusing room layout I have ever encountered in a motel. Although there are maps everywhere, the layout is not intuitive or systematic, and many of us at the conference found it very annoying. Although the front desk provides a map, patrons shouldn't need one for a routine motel stay. Also, there is no elevator, so if you have heavy luggage, try to get a room on the first floor, near the front desk.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Veronica S, Front Office Manager at Best Western Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank You for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. We love to hear of guest experiences and are happy to hear that we were able to accomidate you. I will gladly share with our staff and management staff your comments on your recent stay. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Valley Forge Area
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We traveled to the Black Hills with two other couples to tour via motorcycles that we rented from Black Hill's Harley Davidson. We chose the Best Western Ramkota because of it's location. The Ramkota courtsey shuttle picked us up at the airport and our driver(Mike) answered all of our questions about Rapid City and what to see and do. He also shuttled us to the Harley dealership to pickup the bikes. The hotel was only 20 minutes from the airport and about 8 minutes from the dealership. We had our room upgraded from a king room to a king suite and although we could not make the change until the following day it was definitely worth it. (Great Front Desk People)The rooms were very spacious and very clean. We ate breakfast everday at Minerva's which is right in the hotel and we had a couple of dinners there also. All meals were great. The hotel is close to the freeway so it made it easy for us to start our sightseeing each day. We had a few dinners in downtown Rapid City and the courtsey shuttle would take us and pick us up. It was definitely a plus for us. From the Ramkota we traveled North, South, East and West and it was nice to know that we had a comfortable bed to come back to. We really enjoyed our stay there and would recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: Go for the King Suite if you are staying more than one day
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
CA
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The room in the Best Western Ramkota Hotel was basic, but clean - which is one of the most important factors in any hotel. My one complaint is that the internet connection was lousy in our room. My husband contacted the front desk and they tried to help. He even took my laptop to them, and they were able to establish a connection - but it was lost again once he got back to our room. Through the evening and the next morning, I was able to connect intermittently, but seldom long enough to get anything accomplished. This was frustrating as we were trying to plan the next phase of our rather "freestyle" road trip.

We ate dinner and breakfast the next morning in the restaurant associated with the hotel. The food was pretty good and the service was friendly.

Room Tip: Be aware that this Best Western did not offer a complimentary breakfast at the time of our stay. Al...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank You for your comments on your recent stay with the Best Western Ramkota Hotel. We try to make each guest experience on to remember. I would like to apoligize for the trouble with the internet. I will be talking to our manager in regards to this and we will take a look at this area of the hotel. Again thank you for your comments and we hope to have you as our guest again.