“great hotel, wonderful price” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Rapid City
Ranked #12 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
California
“great hotel, wonderful price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

This is an excellent hotel. For a very reasonable price we got a large suite with two queen beds in separate bedrooms. The hotel is clean, the staff is friendly. Housekeeping even put the kids stuffed toys on the bed every day which was cute.

The suite included an almost full kitchen (microwave, stove top, dishwasher and full sized fridge). The guest laundry consisted of new machines that were reasonably priced.

Loved the hotel, great price, will stay there again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
grandstay8, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Rapid City, responded to this review, March 4, 2010
Thank you for your great review! We hope you will stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
BARTLETT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2009

I can normally find alot to complain about, but this one was hard to find. The hotel and room was great! The hot tub was deffinately hot. The only thing we found that could be better was: the shower head could be up-dated and a slip mat wouldn't hurt. Otherwise, everything was perfect. On the other side of the mall is a place called Boston's. The food, service and price was excellent.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
grandstay8, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Rapid City, responded to this review, December 3, 2009
Thank you for your great rating and good comments! Lynn Seifert, G.M.
United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2009

My husband, my two kids, and I booked a room in this hotel for 10 nights at the military rate since we were in to process of moving to another duty station.

- guests are instructed to put their garbage in the hallways for pick up so if you are in the halls between 6pm and 8am you have to walk by garbage that, at least when we were there, frequently contained dirty diapers

- the bedrooms of our suite were situated ABOVE the lobby! We were woken up every morning by people in the lobby. After calling the desk several times to see if they could do anything I finally walked down to the lobby and politely asked the people sitting in the chairs there if they wouldn't mind speaking softer since the lobby echoed and it was early; I was laughed at then given obscene gestures and crude comments as I left. The manager told me "the people in the lobby have a right to be as loud as they please" - they didn't care at all

- the toilet in the room stopped working and when I called down to the front desk to let them know I was told "what do you expect me to do about it?", I said "I need someone to come up and fix it, I'm alone with two little kids who need to use it", she said "they can use the lobby bathroom", I said "we need the toilet fixed", she said "well, I'm pregnant so I can't do it", I said "I'm pregnant too (which was true), could you have a maintenance person come fix it", she said "you can come down to the maintenance closet to get a plunger if you want", I said "I'm not comfortable doing that" and then she hung up. An hour or so later a maid came up and plunged the toilet.

- seven days into our 10 day stay we woke up to find a bill under the door showing that we were checking out that day. My husband went down to straighten out what we thought was a mistake and he was told that they had booked our room and we were to leave by noon. He showed them our booking printout and they said they were able to book the room for $40 per night more than our military rate so we would have to leave. Luckily we were able to get a room on base for much less but we had the hassle of moving all our stuff (everything we were taking in our cars on our move) and the food we had in the fridge and cupboards there. We told the lodging people at the base what happened and they promised to no longer recommend this hotel since they had already received similar complaints.

The lodging options in Rapid City are limited but this hotel is the worst choice of the bunch.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank traveler555511
grandstay8, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Rapid City, responded to this review, November 25, 2009
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I do not recall the events that took place and really hope to hear from you, in order to determine who posed as the manager, and more importantly, make sure these types of incidents do not take place again. I am truly sorry for the problems you experienced. The military business is of great importance to us; we work very closely with the base, attempting to provide the military personnel with a "home away from home" atmosphere while they are without a home. We very much appreciate what our military personnel do for our country and wish you well in that career. Please contact me so that we can resolve the issues from your stay, and keep these types of problems from happening to others. Sincerely, Lynn Seifert, General Manager
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2009

The hotel is in a safe area near the interstate. I was told this was a business hotel, but it was full of families, which was fine for me. The pool is indoor and it had a gym.

The rooms were large and clean. The furniture looked a bit dated though. The kitchen was large, but a bit outdated as well. The walls seemed thin. Most importantly, the bed was comfortable, so a pair of earplugs provided me with a good night's sleep.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review us, we appreciate your comments. We hope to serve you again the next time you are in the area!
Alliance
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

We made a reservation through their website and received the confirmation of acceptance at the stated rate. We checked into the hotel and were told the rate we had booked on the internet was for government employees, but they would honor the rate. About 15 minutes after we got into the room, they called and told us we would have to pay the higher rate or check out. We tried to tell them we felt they should honor the stated rate, but they would not change their minds. We were told they could rent the room for another $50.00 per night, and if we weren't willing to pay, we needed to check out. I have never had an experience like this, and customer service is obviously not a priority at this hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — CjustomerService/Staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank flyingmanAlliance
The guest is right, this rate should never have been available for a non-government employee, and the guests' case was handled very badly at the hotel at check in. We have taken steps to ensure this does not happen again. We have also apologized personally to the guest and attempted to make up for our mistake. We hope they will give us another chance to give them the great service they deserve.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2008

The hotel was easy to find once we arrived in Rapid City. Location was ok, sort of off the beaten path, but was quiet. I had a 1 bedroom suite, which was alot smaller than I thought it would be. The hide-a-bed was very uncomfortable and I wouldn't recommend sleeping on it. It was nice to have a kitchen but there was no oven just a cooktop, micro, dishwasher and fridge/freezer, coffee maker, toaster and came with pots and utensils. The hotel has a laundry room which is nice if staying for more than a few days. We paid $159 plus tax which compared to other hotels appears average. The pool was small but ok for small kids. The breakfast was ok, it had a decent selection, the only thing I wished they would have had is a waffle maker (I love this feature in hotels). I would likely stay here again, although I didn't necessarily think it was worth the rate.

• Liked — Most of the staff were friendly, hotel was clean.
  • Disliked — Room was a little small for a 1 Bedroom suite
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Shauna372
Thank you for your comments, we appreciate you taking the time to review us. We have added waffles to our menu, we hope you will choose us again when you are in the area.
Harrod, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2007

The Hotel was vey nice. The staff was very helpful throughout our stay. Prompt and courteous. The room was impeccable.
Clean, neatly furnished and well appointed. The place was so quiet you'd have thought you were the only patrons. Our only complints of the stay? The exhaust fan wasn't terribly effective and the eggs at breakfast were only so-so. I would certainly stay here again!!

• Liked — Great sleeping -fantastic bed -Quiet - Good Price
  • Disliked — Ineffective exhaust system/fan
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you, we're glad you enjoyed your stay!