“Nice hotel in good location”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Rapid City
Ranked #26 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We had a pleasant stay at The Fairfield Inn & Suites. It is a nice hotel. It has a water park and Sliders restaurant/bar. Sliders do room service too. The hotel is in an excellent location for attractions, restaurants and stores. Our room was nice and clean. We had a comfortable double bed, jacuzzi, big television, fridge and microwave. The staff are friendly and very helpful. They recommended several good restaurants to us and gave us directions to attractions. The hotel had a free continental breakfast which consisted of scrambled egg, sausage patty, bread, bagels, donuts, cereal, yogurt, fruit juice and coffee. It was ok, but nothing to write home about. Some mornings, we ate breakfast at local restaurants. I would highly recommend the Colonial House restaurant in downtown Rapid City. They have delicious breakfasts at a fair price. For dinner, I would recommend the Dakotah Steakhouse. It is across the street from the hotel. The food there is outstanding. The hotel is near several attractions. Both kids and adults will love Reptile Gardens and Bear Country USA. Mt Rushmore and Custer State Park are about 25 miles from the hotel. You will enjoy the scenic drive. Don't forget to visit Deadwood. You will feel like your back in the old west there. Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane lived there. They are buried next to each other in Mt Moriah cemetery.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 9, 2013

As with any hotel chain, Marriott has their different tiers. This is one of the better Fairfield Inns in which I have stayed. This may be because it is a newer property. It is clean, well appointed and the staff was friendly. The breakfast room is larger than many I have experienced. It is a typical Fairfield Inn breakfast - scrambled or boiled eggs, sausage, cereals, breads, waffles, juices, yogurt, etc.

The work out room has several treadmills, a bench with hand weights, an elliptical, and all of the equipment seemed to be working. Bring your own earphones and watch TV while working out, one on each piece of equipment.

You have already read about the water park and room suggestions. I was on the forth floor right next to the elevator. I thought that would be a problem, but it was not. The room was very quiet with an air conditioner that cooled to my preference of 65 degrees, and the fan runs continually without the recycling noise.

These two properties, Fairfield and La Quinta, joined together at the corner of each by the water park, have a huge sign advertising rates as low as $59.99 (I believe it even goes to $49.99 in the winter months). Don't expect to get this rate - it is offered only for long term stays. This is something several properties do in Rapid City to get you in the door. It is deceptive and sneaky. But, hey, they are in the Black Hills and competing with scores of other properties.

It is east of the city and all attractions. There are a couple of restaurants within walking distance, but you really need a car and need to plan to leave the property and head west for most other accommodations.

Room Tip: My room right next to the elevator was not a problem and I am a light sleeper. Stay away from the lo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Hiddenshutter
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This property is off Exit 61 and across a service road from I-90. Hotel is fairly new but they just completed a renovation. The lobby is unusually nice. Fairfield Inns everywhere are consistently good if bland, but what you need to know about THIS ONE is that it grows out of WaTiki water park, a 70,000 sq ft facility that opens at 8am; La Quinta Inn grows out of the other side. For best happiness, you want the highest room numbers. That is, the rooms are numbered from the water park end, like, 301, and increase as you go away from that end. Whether you have kids or you're a business traveler, you now know what to ask for. Higher floor is better of course (this rule holds true for any Fairfield Inn, by the way). The first room we tried (e.g. 106) was small and you simply won’t sleep there unless you take a lot of sleep aids. Even after hours, kids still wander the halls hoping the water slides will be opened by some miracle.

We got off to a bad start. Arrived about 8PM and despite (1) my Marriott Gold Level status and standing requests for high floor, and (2) making my reservation over 3 months in advance, they put us on the 1st floor about 3 doors away from the water park entrance. Without even having to go see the room, I asked to be moved and the woman at check-in said no way the hotel was full and was rude about it. After 15 minutes in that room listening to what seemed liked herds of buffalo stampeding outside AND above us, we took our bags back to the front counter ready to be rude right back and prepared to leave. But this time there was a pleasant man at the desk and he said, no problem he would be happy to relocate us to an upgraded room. Cool.

We were on the 2nd floor in a very nicely designed room almost more like a suite, w/ couch/chair/work table coffee table and flat TV, bed and TV and closet in separate area, and a good size bath with long countertop. Room was great. The A/C worked fine, and the fan could be set to run continuously. Bed was Marriott standard very comfortable, medium firmness, clean linens, with two types of pillows.

The breakfast was kind of a circus, even at 6:30 when we went down early to beat the crowds. Mostly there was pre-packaged items, DIY waffles, assorted pastries, cereal, coffee, tea, etc. It was typical of the Fairfield chain, and nice to have as a time-saver when you want to get on the road.

There was a decent sized fitness center, and the lobby had a business center and other niceties. Wireless internet was slow but worked. We had a 4G aircard so we just used that. The area around the hotel is not friendly to walking (people or pets). Across the street is a good, local restaurant called Dakotah Steakhouse that's more upscale and has better quality food than the typical chain steak restaurant. Or you can walk through the grass (a trail has been created by many people doing this) across the RR tracks to Arby's and McDonalds. And that's it for eating on this exit. A car is truly a necessity to go into Rapid City for more eating choices.

Prices here are simply astounding, even if not terribly out of line with comps in the area. Yikes! In the busy, precious summer months everybody wants to go to the Black Hills, so they get over $150/night for a room and over $200/night for a suite. Thank goodness we could stay here on points, and only needed one night. If i visit again, for that kind of money i'll stay in one of the top 5 rated hotels, or down in one of the towns in the Black Hills (if possible to plan ahead far enough), or even a rental house (e.g. homeaway.com) in the country.

Room Tip: If you have kids and are here for the waterpark, get low numbered rooms. If you don't have kids...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Fairfield. The hotel was clean and comfortable with spacious rooms. The staff was friendly and courteous. The breakfast provided lots of choices including hot eggs and sausage, homemade waffles, fruit, baked goods. The hotel was located right off of I-90, convenient to Rapid City, Black Hills, Badlands. Very good value for the money!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 3rd or 4th floors away from the elevators to minimize noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a nice Fairfield Inn right off I90 and Rte 16 which takes you to major attractions. The rooms are nice and the staff is friendly. There is an adjacent restaurant that also offers room service.

Make sure your GPS is programmed correctly as N. Elk Vale can get GPS confused with Elk Vale.
Entrance a bit tricky the first time, but okay

Free breakfast, ok, not great.

Room Tip: I was in 340 at end of hall. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I didn't enjoy anything about this place except the bed. I was charged more than I was quoted when I made my reservation, but couldn't do anything about it because they misspelled my email address, even though it's the same as my name.
Stay away from the water park. Not nice at all. Lifeguards do not pay attention. It's not a nice area. The arcade is awful. Just go to Great Wolf Lodge which is probably about the same price, but much nicer with lifeguards who watch everything.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MrsTwo
Reviewed September 1, 2013

When I booked this room it was because it was a Marriott and my husband and I planned to fly out of Rapid City after a nice road trip visiting several major national parks. It was close to Mt Rushmore, which was the last park on our intinerary. We ended up here a day ahead of schedule and I had added a 2nd night from the road prior to arriving. We figured we would travel 50 or so miles east to the Badlands on our "extra" day (which we did, with a stop at Wall Drug which we were glad we did as well).

When I booked, I was thinking airport and location, not waterpark. So imagine our surprise when we go to check in and there are LOTS of excited kids in the lobby - some wet, some anxious to get wet. Oh boy.

So I asked for a top floor room, was offered a 3rd floor. I knew this could be trouble, so I insisted further. The manager gave us a free upgraded room on top floor - a room with a jacuzzi (that we didn't use). It was a handicap accessible room with a jacuzzi (?). We were fine with that, the top floor was most important.

I was very apprehensive about what the noise was going to be like even from top floor since the room was facing the interstate and also on the side with the waterpark, but we had no noise issues. The hotel itself was a little old, but had brand new carpet everywhere, which was great. The breakfast area in the mornings were chaos, so we ate at McDonalds next door - no big deal for us.

So in all, a good stay - satisfied with everything - and a giant waterpark can be great for some (and the reason, obviously, that a lot of people choose this property) but don't let it scare you away if you're not interested in this feature.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple