“Not Worth 25,000 Marriott Points”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Rapid City
Ranked #25 of 49 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I expect more from a Marriott for 25,000 points. I would have been better off paying the rate and keeping the points. I realize points are determined by the number customers redeeming points and this is a busy area in the summer. Many people come here for the various attractions and redeem points. But, keep your points. It was clean, noisy, good breakfast, but have seen other locations of this chain offer a superior experience for the same money. It is a below average for this chain. I can not imagine what it is like with all the kids in the summer at the water park next door.

Room Tip: get room on back the front is on the I 90 a busy road
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
fairfieldgm, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Rapid City, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. l want to apologize for the noise that you experienced during your stay. We do try our very best to regulate the noise and in most cases we do not have an issue with any noise.

We will be going through a very extensive renovation which we will be starting on very soon. This will make the hotel look like new which will help us to make sure that all guests have a good experience so they can enjoy all the wonderful attractions that this area has to offer.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I am livid that they advertise the waterpark so heavily, but don't advertise they will charge you an arm and a leg for it. For a family of four, the discounted rate to use the park is over $60! That adds quite a bit on to the bill when we would have been happy with a (free) pool, but that does not exist in this hotel. Also note that if you have smaller kids, the only pool for them to swim in is right next to the water cannons and some of the older kids will not give a second thought to shooting you or your little one in the face with them - it is a horrible design.

The hotel advertises Internet service. I guess they have it, but trying to connect during any reasonable hour is virtually impossible.

Lastly, our room was pretty gross overall and my wife will never stay at a Fairfield Inn again after this experience, I can't say that I will either.

We moved to the Cambria Suites - awesome hotel, brand new, nice pool, big rooms, two TVs, refrigerator, nice towels and sheets AND a lower price per night.

I would strongly recommend this hotel if you are looking in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

I want to apologize for the condition your room was in during your stay. I have sinced made sure that nobody else will have this experience and it is because of these reviews that we are able to catch a lot of these mistakes and correct them very quickly. Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

We do advertise the fees that are associated with the Waterpark on our websites, and I want to apologize if this wasn't explained to you right away at check in. I have addressed this with my staff to make sure that everyone is aware of the cost.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Planning to spend 4 days in the area exploring and sightseeing, Rapid City was our choice for a "home base." We chose the Fairfield Inn & Suites because Marriott hotels have never disappointed us, and the price was also very reasonable. And we are glad we did. The entire hotel was spotless clean, bed and pillows very comfortable, exercise room had top-notch cardio equipment (2 treadmills, a recumbent bike and recumbent elliptical trainer, and the staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. The only glitch was that the wi-fi internet was slow and undependable. When I mentioned this to the front desk staff upon checkout, they told me that the hotel is 6 years old and will be completely renovated next month (October, 2012) including a new computer system and server.

Room Tip: Any room would be comfortable.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for this review on Tripadvisor. My staff and I work so hard to make sure that all of our guests have a great experience here. It is just wonderful to hear that all of our hard work is paying off.

I do want to apologize for the internet not working properly. We have since upgraded to a faster internet service and we are hopeful that this as fixed the problem.

We will be going through a renovation soon that will make this hotel even better to come visit. I hope to see you again in the future. Thanks again

Reviewed September 8, 2012

The rooms are not updated, like most of the Fairfield suites. In my room the desk chair was broken, and although I asked for a replacement it never came. Small potatos. Bigger potatos would be how bloody noisy the place is. Constant thumping proved to be guest just alking up nd down the halls. Noisy parking lot fight woke us up. Maybe time to work on that. Potato famine: the horrific lack of ecology in the center of one of the most beautiful states in the union Unrecyclable styrofoam plates, bowls, cups, and non-recyclable cutlery is inexcusable in this day and age. Cheap. The breakfast was below par, also for Fairfield. On the plus side: the front desk girls are adorable, sweet and trying as hard as they can. I would probably pass this place up in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank suspect309
Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

It was awful all the way around. The staff was downright rude and combative, especially "P", who claimed to be the "assistant general manager". They did not save the room we had reserved & tried to put us in a smaller one with a rollaway bed. When the bed was lowered, no one could move out of their beds. I believe that would be in violation of the fire code, as it blocked any entrance or exit even to the bathroom. For a much higher price they moved us to a bigger room, that was in serious need of some TLC. Everything was dirty, stained, and best of all, our A/C unit was directly above a smoking station, right next to the building, below us. The irritable "P", said she would come spray some air freshener in our room for us. That is so helpful with 3 asthmatics in the room! I also wondered if she was going to come every 5 to 10 min., or every time someone lit up. I thought the law mandates that one can't smoke within 25 feet of a building or an opening where another person might get the second hand smoke, but this place plays by it's own lawless rules! They have a different check-in policy than the rest of the Marriott chain, and they charge higher the rates from what is quoted by Marriott on the phone, and online. Needless to say we left, after searching for another hotel that was NOT owned by the same
management company! They immediately charged our card $640, the maximum allowed for them to charge, for two nights, even though the rates we were supposed to pay were around $150 a night. This is because we didn't give them 24 hours notice, and it was already too late to give them 24 hour notice for the next night, even though Marriott says to cancel by 4pm the day of! They also charged another $100 for who knows what, plus they still had the $40 from the reservation pending! So we were charged, and never stayed over night! Our credit card fraud department is going to be looking into their company, and "P", and checking into the fraudulent charges. I believe "P" deserves a "promotion" to the city jail for some lessons on anger management, people skills, fraudulent activity, values, integrity, & honesty!!! Those are all things valued in an employee, especially an assistant manager! What a nice welcome to SD! No worries, we'll never be back!

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank arm53m
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This Inn was attached to a water park so it was very busy Labor Day weekend. Still, the room was relatively quiet. It was a typical Fairfield motel and room. The room had a bit of nasty rust on the bathroom sprinkler system sprinkler and the luggage stand was broken. But otherwise it was a decent stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here just one night. We had an early flight and this is the hotel the is nearest to the airport (still about 17 miles away). Got an upgraded room but still a bit expensive for the location. There is a water park connected to the property and signs asking younger guests not to run or make noise in the halls. Despite this we never heard any noise.

Staff was nice and welcoming. Great stay for just one night. Did not get breakfast as we left hotel at o'dark hundred.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple