“Comfy beds... but... Overexposure of chemicals in the Watiki”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Rapid City
Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed January 16, 2011

We loved the slides, who wouldn't?! But at the beginning, the place was packed which is to be expected on a Saturday night. Except the hot tub was full of babies with their little water diapers on. I wonder how much pee those actually hold?? The chemicals burned our eyes just stepping out of our room and as the evening went on, kids everywhere began coughing uncontrollably from the chemicals in the water. Coughing enough to actually puke from it. Our kids complained of being dizzy, having a headache, chest pains, burning eyes and lungs. The people at the desk said, oh our chemicals are monitored by computer and they have to be high anyways because of the amount of people. Silly me, computers never fail! All night I listed to our family in respiratory distress and wondered if the fun was worth it. To my 9 year old, he said NO and doesn't want to go back to that pool.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Rapid City

Reviewed December 27, 2010

I will be back to rapid city and the water park but never again will I stay at the Laquinta, there is a Fairfield next door and thats where I'll be going.

We reserved 4 rooms for my family members. Check in was 3pm. I arrived at 230. Our rooms were suppose to be together. We werent allowed to check in until 6pm because they were short staffed in cleaning, and none of the rooms were together. they were even on different floors.

I was not allowed to speak to a manager, and the front desk would not even tell me the managers name. She said she could be deported. I informed her i was a cop and she could not be deported for doing her job. After that she refused to answer any more questions. I have never seen a business run this way.

So I ended up having to pay full price for my rooms even though it wasnt what i reserved and I wasnt allowed to check in until three hours after check in time.

Goto the fairfield next door, much better service, this place was a joke

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank Pierce709
Reviewed December 22, 2010

We have stayed at various chains over the years, but the quality, service, amenities and friendliness of LQ's in general are better than most hotels. The La Quinta in Rapid City, however, stands out by far. It's location is great. The manager there is wonderful. She is most accommodating and fun. Staff are friendly and considerate. Such customer service is rare, and a treat. Their room rates are the best in the area and they have good room choices, particularly the suites. We look forward twice a year to stay there and would recommend this hotel as a real find. If in Rapid City, stay there.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2010

We traveled to from Michigan to South Dakota. The only thing that was rough was the drive. Once we arrived we had a non-stop great time for 3 days and wished we could have stayed for a few more! The hotel and water park were great! The kids never wanted to leave the water park! Besides being kid friendly this was also the nicest hotel that we have found to be dog friendly as well! It was also incredible to be in such close distance to so many great learning destinations for our children. This was truly a once in a lifetime experience!

Reviewed November 7, 2010

Hotel staff lied to us about bedbugs!
La Quinta staff told us bedbugs were clover mites! We killed a bug in the room and hotel staff asked to keep it. La Quinta (by Watiki Water Park) had the rooms checked by exterminator then told us the rooms checked out clean and that the bug was a clover mite.
Later when I called to ask where the bug was, they told me they were never given a bug!
How naive was I? I trusted the La Quinta staff to show the bug to the exterminator but they just threw it away! I contacted the exterminator and they were never shown the bug killed in the room.
Document everything and do NOT trust the hotel staff. They will just say you are trying to scam them. As a hotel guests, we were polite and discreet about the problem but don't make our mistake. Go down yelling and showing your evidence to everyone. Do NOT give your bedbug to the hotel staff unless you have something in writing. I had pictures of the bedbug but the La Quinta staff said it could not be proven that it was in the La Quinta hotel by Watiki Water Park. Hotel manager said that if I took this any further, it would be considered slander but I have to let everybody know what they could be getting into. Don't be NAIVE like we were! Don't give your only evidence to the hotel staff!

I hope nobody else has to go through this...

6  Thank NaiveGuest
Reviewed October 29, 2010

I am VERY pleased with my stay at the La Quinta in Rapid City!!! The hotel staff was extremely helpful while planning my son's 4th birthday party there. The hotel/water park was the perfect backdrop for his Pirate Party! The staff not only went out of their way to make sure EVERYTHING was perfect, they went out of their way to say "Happy Birthday" to him every chance they got! It made him feel very special!
The room I stayed in was very cozy and accommodating. The mini fridge, microwave, coffee pot and sink was very convenient in preparing for his party and for the clean up! The room was very roomy and perfect for our family that includes two young kids. The beds, couch and chairs were very comfortable and provided a perfect nights rest after a very eventful day!
Overall, from the amazing experience, accommodations, value, location and staff, I will most definitely recommend La Quinta to my family and friends!
A+++++

Reviewed October 25, 2010

We are currently moving from Alabama to Alaska and 'seeing the sights' as we do so. I had a hotel booked closer to Mt Rushmore, but after seeing this one off the freeway with the waterpark we quickly canceled the one and stayed here. We are so glad we did. It was quite, clean and we all had a blast at for three hours in the waterpark. After a week and a half on the road it was a much needed break. There were very few people, which made it nice and we never heard or saw kids running around the halls like others have said. My husband and I forgot to pack our suits, but we were able to purchase trucks for the both of us (I used a tank with the trunks of course) and the manager gave us a great deal on our tickets! Beds were very comfy, room clean and spacious. Only complaint was the breakfast. No fresh fruit!?! Very odd, my little one was disappointed about not getting his banana. But, overall it was great, we would definitely stay here again if we came through. Oh, it is about a half hour from Mt Rushmore, but I like it being close to the freeway so it was not an issue for us.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business